New scx24's have a quirk.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doom!

Team Dust Devil
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
The new scx24's with the new style receivers AKA the Jeep Comanche and the Ford Bronco, drain the battery when not in use. I have the bad habit of leaving the batteries plugged in on my scx24's when I'm not using them. All of the previous models hold a charge for weeks of non usage. The two newer models drain overnight.

I guess I need to get in the habit of unplugging them like I should have been doing in the first place. Just thought I would point this out in case any of you others have equally bad habits, and were looking at these.

I charge all of my batteries while watching tv. I have have them sitting on my little table next to my chair and I keep the chargers out so when I get home after running them, I know I need to storage charge them. I have never left them plugged in and never will.

I've gotten lazy on the 24's, never do it on the others. Guess I'm cured from doing it on the 24's now too.
Same here. I don't unplug my 1/18s either, except for my Latrax Rally.

I cheat .. most of my mini-micro stuff has no switch so I have to unplug it ..

I used to keep it plugged in if I was going to run it shortly. If I was fixing it, changing tires, or waiting on a friends battery.

That changed in 2009ish when my Stampedes Vxl3s esc kept randomly powering on.

I also did the same thing in my 10.2 I would crawl and then go do a few chores and come back. The last time I forgot to turn it off. When I did unplug it, my $100 lipo was swelled.

A simple preach, gives you a home to wake up to every morning...;)
True that. I'm just such a pyro though
0430221454e.jpg

I know it's easy to think it's a small battery, so smaller problems. But LiPo's can burn up to about 3400°F when they vent. That's hot enough to liquify steel. And draining one down can cause that to happen spontaneously. They are safe and stable batteries, as long as you don't misuse them. So I can't stress it enough that you need to unplug them when not in use. I know... preachin. But I don't want to come on here and read one of you guys came home to melted RC cars and no home.

I charge all of my batteries while watching tv. I have have them sitting on my little table next to my chair and I keep the chargers out so when I get home after running them, I know I need to storage charge them. I have never left them plugged in and never will.
Same. I'll watch like 2 hours of TV before bed, while at the same time trickle-charging my 3s packs, so before I hit the hay they're at perfect storage charge.
I know it's easy to think it's a small battery, so smaller problems. But LiPo's can burn up to about 3400°F when they vent. That's hot enough to liquify steel. And draining one down can cause that to happen spontaneously. They are safe and stable batteries, as long as you don't misuse them. So I can't stress it enough that you need to unplug them when not in use. I know... preachin. But I don't want to come on here and read one of you guys came home to melted RC cars and no home.
It would make for good reading tho

Back