New RC boat world record!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Olson

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I'm old enough to remember when 100 MPH was the magic number. Now, the record is almost twice that!
For us that don't know the metric system, this is one of the first passes while a later one was at 298.656 KPH or 185.576 MPH!

185MPH! That is insane. I would love to know more about this boat.

Just about every piece on this boat is custom-made for one purpose, You'd be hard-pressed to find anything on it that hasn't been massaged by them.
I've been to a few record trials, it's a lot of boredom with seconds of excitement. Record contenders will wait for the water to be right before making a pass so early morning and after dusk is usually the prime-time to make passes. With these bad boys you have to know how to get them up to speed then slow them down again. You simply do not let off the throttle otherwise you'll be doing and endo because of the highly-pitched props they're turning and I've seen plenty of those. With the IMPBA and NAMBA you have to make passes non-stop in both directions and the times are averaged out.
Rolex, it's a balancing game trying to get as much of the boat out of the water while at the same time being on the very edge of blowing off. The fastest pass I've seen personally was at 116 MPH which at that time was a new site record. That's since been eclipsed there by a Catamaran.

amazing! its incredible that it just hugs the water the way it does, it's hard enough to keep a car to hug the road. I love how he puts it in afterburner, that just great, Thanks for posting that.

Absolutely INTENSE! I have no idea how it can hit that kind of speed without leaving the water.
you know I bet he doesn't let anyone examine the bottom of that thing, he's got it down pat whatever he's done.

There would be no build thread on that one or many record-setting boats as they don't like to give out their speed secrets.
I mentioned before that I've been to record trials and I've seen boaters keeping their boats under a towel until it was ready to run as they didn't want to give their secrets away. They of course have to be legal and if need be they can be checked by the event CD's. I have seen under the towels and the boats weren't really anything special from the normal straightaway racers although many are very different from heat racers. This one has blistering speed but not made to corner. Usually these boats have a very short life-span as they're fragile; one good crash at those speeds and they're toast. Team JAG went from running 143 MPH to 185 and change by going smaller, not bigger. Props themselves are a black art. The motor was custom wound. They've had to have ESC's specially built.
Even in the nitro and gas classes the boats may appear to be off-the-shelf items but even a lot of those are special lay-ups.
Martin Truex Jr. has been slaying a lot of nitro records. Most engine builders thought that the nitro's were at their peak but he found a spot where he got more power out of them. I know where it is but ain't saying. :) Where he found it was in-your-face obvious, the funny thing about it.

Wow! That's just crazy!!! Thanks for the post!

This one has blistering speed but not made to corner.

Ron I've seen a boat that was German built that cornered at around 140mph and it stuck to the water like it was railed. It is just amazing these guys can accomplish this and it makes me wonder if sponsored can they do this to a scaled boat??

Found this but it ends bad

it seems he's guessing the speed.

Last edited:
I don't know if they have classes for the speed records but I imagine a rocket powered boat would have to be different than prop driven... And of course it would need to make more than one speed run to have any credibility... That thing is just stupid fast!!!

I'm curious what he is using the remote for, I cannot see how he can control anything but the ignition as you see later in the video it just heads straight for the weeds and he cannot stop or turn it. It may bet the fastest "model" boat but it seems uncontrollable other than an on/off switch.

his last noise "hmmm" LOL

I thought 70mph was fast in a 1:1 boat. That's just insanely fast.

I don't know if they have classes for the speed records but I imagine a rocket powered boat would have to be different than prop driven... And of course it would need to make more than one speed run to have any credibility... That thing is just stupid fast!!!
I've seen a video of an Estes model rocket powered outrigger and it was fast but uncontrollable. Right now, only propeller driven boats are eligible for records.

I'm glad to hear that actually... I can only imagine ppl knocking the heads off of compressed oxygen tanks and launching them with a rudder on the back of it! :rolleyes: I'm all for insane speed etc... IF it's controlled and it can be repeated as needed (like the land speed racers on the salt flats). Otherwise, it's just flat out dangerous. Not cool!

Back