New here with a HPI Nitro Rush Evo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pro4xChris

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Morning everyone. Since I'm new I figured I would introduce myself. My name is Chris, live in Tampa, FL and I'm just getting back in to the RC hobby. I have a Traxxas Villain IV boat (that I purchased 15-20 years ago and am restoring now), a Traxxas Rustler (electric) from the same time period and a HPI Nitro Rush Evo that was purchased used off EBay about 5 years ago.

It's been a blast getting to tinker with the .15 motor and getting familiar with everything. However, the other night I finally got to a spot where I could really open it up and well, the car didn't like that much. Somehow threw a dogbone after a control arm came off. After that, I replaced the dogbone and reattached the control arm, but it was like the clutch was not engaging. I decided to give it a few days to see what the issue might be and low and behold ran it last night without a problem. When I brought it back in I did notice there was fluid all over the gearbox and back of motor. Looks like it was coming from the gearbox but I do not believe those contain any fluid from what I have seen (could be mistaking the lack of fluid with the differential though). Any thoughts as to what's going on with my truck?

Pics or the threads worthless

Attachments

• IMAG0223.jpg
    IMAG0223.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 824
  • IMAG0227.jpg
    IMAG0227.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 268
  • IMAG0228.jpg
    IMAG0228.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 234
  • IMAG0229.jpg
    IMAG0229.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 296
It looks like you've got an exhaust leak. Did the car flip onto its top when it crashed?

Thanks for your reply.
I believe it did flip forward once this round ... not the first time it's happened either lol
So, looking at the pics I see why you're thinking that. I wonder if I can get away with simply tightening it or if it requires a new gasket.

In your opinion, would the clutch getting wet from the exhaust leak cause the clutch to slip?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.
I believe it did flip forward once this round ... not the first time it's happened either lol
So, looking at the pics I see why you're thinking that. I wonder if I can get away with simply tightening it or if it requires a new gasket.

In your opinion, would the clutch getting wet from the exhaust leak cause the clutch to slip?
Tightening it and replacing the gasket should work, if that was indeed the issue. I've had it coming from the cooling head before, I fixed it by taking it off, re-seating everything and re tightening the screws. Also check the join between cooling head and engine block. :)

I think I am going to try my luck with the tightening first, if that doesn't work I'll replace the gasket. I don't think it is from the joint between the block and cooling head because It's all in the back behind the head. Could be though so still worth a closer look.

As for the clutch slipping - do you think exposure to the fuel was to blame? Or just coincidental?

Fuel on the clutch I'm sure would cause slippage.

Thanks!

Wasn't positive, but makes sense and explains why it just randomly would not go.

I think I am going to try my luck with the tightening first, if that doesn't work I'll replace the gasket. I don't think it is from the joint between the block and cooling head because It's all in the back behind the head. Could be though so still worth a closer look.

As for the clutch slipping - do you think exposure to the fuel was to blame? Or just coincidental?
It is possible.

The glory of having an older model - no parts available at LHS (HobbyTown USA). I found the exhaust manifold on Amazon that includes the gaskets, but have not been able to locate the gasket by itself. Did not have a chance to see if simply tightening would cure the problem and won't be able to until Friday night or Saturday morning.

The glory of having an older model - no parts available at LHS (HobbyTown USA). I found the exhaust manifold on Amazon that includes the gaskets, but have not been able to locate the gasket by itself. Did not have a chance to see if simply tightening would cure the problem and won't be able to until Friday night or Saturday morning.
Keep us posted. You can use normal gasket card as a gasket, or high temp silicon sealant.

I think I'm going to go the high temp silicone sealant route and see where that leads. Will post when it's done and tried.

Haha ... Making fun of the nitro newb already. Finally got a chance to run her tonight and definitely a failed gasket. So much so it even SOAKED the air filter. Will replace this weekend. On a positive note, the clutch and differential seem a OK. Addicted to this forum already!

Well... your "slipping clutch" could just be badly diagnosing the real issue, engine way out of tune causing it to bog and overheat or too rich and 4-cycle on you.

That much oil everywhere, you have some sort of issue with a seal somewhere. Could be overly rich and is pouring through the front main bearing. Any idea what the head temps are when it's warmed up/running? If not, get a temp gun. Fairly cheap and will help with your tuning.

Also loosen the carb neck bolt and push down on the carb, then retighten. Could be loose causing it to suck air/seep fuel all over. Could also be a loose backplate. I've had those come loose on me before, requires you taking off the starter housing to check for tightness.

Usually, if you run in dusty/dirty areas, you will see where clean oil is and dirty oil is. Clean oil is near the source of the leak. Pull the engine without cleaning it and inspect for clean/dirty oil and maybe you can source it.

Hopefully it's not a cracked crank case. I've done that a few times. Very easy to do on a stadium truck as the head is very unprotected.

Bottom line, you shouldn't have near that big of a mess around your engine. A few drops here and there is normal.

Your gaskets I think: http://www.rcplanet.com/HPI_Exhaust_Gasket_Set_p/hpia875.htm

All good.
I'm running a special on gaskets by the dozen. Act now, while supplies last. :D
But will you do shipping across the pond? that is the question.

Well... your "slipping clutch" could just be badly diagnosing the real issue, engine way out of tune causing it to bog and overheat or too rich and 4-cycle on you.

That much oil everywhere, you have some sort of issue with a seal somewhere. Could be overly rich and is pouring through the front main bearing. Any idea what the head temps are when it's warmed up/running? If not, get a temp gun. Fairly cheap and will help with your tuning.

Also loosen the carb neck bolt and push down on the carb, then retighten. Could be loose causing it to suck air/seep fuel all over. Could also be a loose backplate. I've had those come loose on me before, requires you taking off the starter housing to check for tightness.

Usually, if you run in dusty/dirty areas, you will see where clean oil is and dirty oil is. Clean oil is near the source of the leak. Pull the engine without cleaning it and inspect for clean/dirty oil and maybe you can source it.

Hopefully it's not a cracked crank case. I've done that a few times. Very easy to do on a stadium truck as the head is very unprotected.

Bottom line, you shouldn't have near that big of a mess around your engine. A few drops here and there is normal.

Your gaskets I think: http://www.rcplanet.com/HPI_Exhaust_Gasket_Set_p/hpia875.htm
Good point about the bearings, didn't think of that.

Yeah, he does. Each gasket costs 1 drum of Carnuba Wax shipping... j/k