New guy/ project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittyzz

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
New guy, just putting my story out there!
I have 3 electric rcs, 2 are from over ten years ago, and there the best I've ever owned, but they don't have the original controllers, and I now need new motherboards for them so I gave up for now. I went on a 7 rc buying spree between cars and helis, then I finally decided to get a nitro which I've wanted for quite a while now.
so I was looking around, and redcat and exceed are the cheapest, and I don't have much to play with, was looking on there site at 199.99 and I was gonna need the 30 dollar starter kit on top of gas and stuff. well I went on eBay and it wasn't much different, but then I found a used one on eBay, was in good looking order, he only had 3 feedback so I had him send me a video of it running and a picture of it with my name beside it for profit, all checked out. he said it had about 25 tanks through it and it was good to go. he said it needed a reciever and a doggone and a battery for the reciever. Well when I got it, I was very skidding because it was new to me, but let me mind you I'm extremely mechanically and electronically inclined, (built and programmed my own mobos in high school and been rebuilding computers and cell phones on the side since and have been doing my own mechanical work for a while too)
but there was more to that wrong with it. here is a list,
battery cover is broke and only screws on one side and switch is dead
then I realized the wheels weren't moving well, so I tore them off and figured out how to loosen those things lol
then the next thing really grinds my gears, the guy before me was running it with 3 screws going to the motor mount, from the chassis, and one was stripped and the other was the wrong screw with the wrong threading. and because he ran it like that the chassis where the rear drivers screw was being ripped up because it was the only back screw still holding it on, that then pushed up the rear end of the motor and yea you catch my drift, thankfully no grinder gears just a hair shaved. and then I tried starting it and found out he set everything back to stock, so now I have to tune it.
now I paid 115 shipped for the truck, then got 2 quarts fuel a wrench for the truck because the tools never came with, and steering oil. then bought the reciever and 2 glow plugs a reciever 4 aa battery thing, and the dog bones. I found out about the chassis when I was trying to tune it, which I almost completed but can't as the motor is literally falling off!
so what do you guys think? I've properly got 210~220 but the difference is I have 2 quarts of gas, 2 glow plugs, and the truck is fairly new, considering I need a new reciever box cover and switch,
what to do next is get the electric start kit for 34 on eBay, and I might get the 2 speed tranny, but I'm yet. gonna eventually replace everything with aluminum, and I'm going to at some point, put a BB in her ether with adjustable mounts or custom.
what I've done so far is almost got her tuned but that hit a dead stop, I wired and stuffed a 9.6v rechargeable pack in the transmitter, lubes all the bearings, and made a snorkle, and last thing is I burnt a hole through the passenger windshield and put a tube that directs the air straight to the head for extra cooling!

sorry it's so long, but what you guys think? pictures will be up soon!
I might use the old chassis still just as like a skid plate for the new one

First of all, let me start by saying that Exceed is not known for their quality and it would have been better to save a bit more money and then buy a more reputable brand.

As far as the 4 AA receiver (RX) battery pack, it's better to use a 5-cell rechargeable pack. Aluminum upgrades look nice, but for arms and bumpers are more trouble than they're worth.

Rather than upgrade that truck, do the necessary repairs to get it running and drive the wheels off of it and then replace it with a better quality truck.

I could do that, but honestly I don't have the Monet right now, I have some fines and loans along with bills and I'm the only one working, that's why I went with this, because I don't have much money. but anyways, do you think my reciever can handle 9.6 volts? it's the stock one that came with this truck, I know 12.8 fries it lol
I have a second 9.6 I could throw on the truck that's 1600mah how would that surfise?
I know you all don't and won't stand by the knock off brands, but it's what I have, and I'm giving it a chance, so just bare with me please ?

I know that some people have tighter budgets than others but in the future I would suggest that you save up your money (even if it takes you 2 years) and buy a quality brand RC. Red Cat and Exceed are dodgy at best. Not only buy quality but also buy it new so you know what you're getting. I would return the one you bought (file an ebay claim if you have too stating all the things that are wrong with the car that wasn't listed in the ebay listing) and put that money toward something better.

There's nothing wrong with buying a used truck as long as its a reputable brand. For $200 or what you've got into that one you could've bought a used traxxas or AE, both are somewhat bullet proof with excellent part support.

that's the thing, you guys are so there's no parts support, I haven't had an issue getting parts for this thing at all. and cheap too. I got my brand new chassis shipped for 14 I could have got it for 11 but I wanted it to be here sooner so I went with the closer one.
and I didn't have all the money at once, and like I said I have around 4000k I owe plus bills plus I'm the only one with income.
I honestly don't see why you guys hate these so much, Yea it's cheap and yea they might not hold up as best but I feel more then happy with the parts support and I know I would be bashing it right now if the last owner didn't kill the chassis.
I'm just a 21 year old working with what I have and making the best of it.
at some point I'm going to get a ""Name brand"" and my dad will be joining me, but for the meantime I'm working with what I have... so are you guys gonna help or ??
I'm not trying to be rude, but I feel as if you guys are going to push me aside just because I have a redcat :(

I know that some people have tighter budgets than others but in the future I would suggest that you save up your money (even if it takes you 2 years) and buy a quality brand RC. Red Cat and Exceed are dodgy at best. Not only buy quality but also buy it new so you know what you're getting. I would return the one you bought (file an ebay claim if you have too stating all the things that are wrong with the car that wasn't listed in the ebay listing) and put that money toward something better.

thank you for being more friendly, I appreciate that a lot, and I'm going to be saving up, but at the moment I'm going to make due, and I would return it but I have too much into it and I just want something to play with, I'm not trying to make a show truck just a toy that I can have fun with.
maybe I'll buy one off here down the road when I have the money

Most of the rigs sold here are in relatively good shape and if there are any problems they are usually listed. I've bought a few rigs here and have never been disappointed with any of them.

A lot of guys started out with a low budget, then found out it cost a lot more just to keep them running. Don't worry about that. Wrenching and running is what the hobby is all about. You learn more as you go.
Some guys give the Red Cats rave reviews, so as long as you're enjoying what you have, that's all that matters.
If you enjoy this enough, you can always step up in the future.
For a bit of advise, if you buy used, buy it here from a trusted member or buy from Craig's list where you can go and see it first hand before you pay.

Keep us posted, we'll keep you running. :first_place:

Yea I've been hawking this website for a few weeks, I've learned a lot, and I like it here, most active forum I think, but you guys just don't like my rig lol
I'll have to keep an eye on the for sale thread, but I know I can afford anything else for a few months, I'm just a 21 year old making due with what he has
just hope I can learn and help out on my journy!
I really wanna get into muddying with those little plastic ones, I love crawling but it's not my thing with rc cars, a little to slow

Post some pics when you can, enjoy the truck! Be careful when changing the exhaust or muffler.you may be giving yourself a tuning headache!

thanks so much guys =) I feel more welcomed now, and I kind of have an attachment to this one if you know what I mean, it being my first and doing so much to it and everything,
and your right about the in person thing, and it drives me craz crazy finding stuff wrong but I love messing with it and everything, I'll post pics in a little while, right now I'm making a switch on the battery box and I'm going to try to fix the battery box too
I just wanna know if 9.6 will ki'll my reciever, I know 12.8 will lol
I just wanna be able to have a charitable battery in my truck like I did my reciever
which you will see soon=)

thanks guys so much I feel more welcomed and in a friendly place =) I will post pictures soon I just wanna figure out if my reciever will handle 9.6 volts or if it's going to fry it, I know 12.8 will lol
I just wanna be able to to have a rechargeable battery in my truck like I do my controller,
bout to go get Chinese with the other half, but I don't wanna go lol, putting a switch on my battery box top!
and sadly I've removed the muffler a gazillion times, but I don't think it's affected me for what I could tell lol

thanks guys so much I feel more welcomed and in a friendly place =) I will post pictures soon I just wanna figure out if my reciever will handle 9.6 volts or if it's going to fry it, I know 12.8 will lol
I just wanna be able to to have a rechargeable battery in my truck like I do my controller,
bout to go get Chinese with the other half, but I don't wanna go lol, putting a switch on my battery box top!
and sadly I've removed the muffler a gazillion times, but I don't think it's affected me for what I could tell lol
and its not posting my repllies..

I've temporarily corrected part of the problem with your posts, and we're now waiting for our "Kind of good" Administrator to figure out what's causing it.

thanks, greatly appreciated, pics soon, but any light on 9.6 without frying

so she took the 9.6 volts so far without any smoke! just finished reshaping the 9.6 pack to fit in the
I don't even really have Rome for the reciever it's self lmao

Unless it’s designed for high voltage, Don’t hold your breath that the receiver will take the 9.6V for long. It could smoke any time you turn it on...

Yea I've been turning it on and off and testing the steering and throttle, the last one smoked at 12.8 volts lamp
burnt a hole through the bottom!
one noticeable difference is the servos have a lot more ummpfff
but I finally have everything crammed in the box but the switch I had you hot glue to the top I need more room lol
tomorrow I have off so I'll deffinately be uploading a ton of pictures for you all tomorrow