New build project- Rat Rod Rustler!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're going to make me buy this body if you keep this up.
It's really a great body, lots of different possibilities....

Got it about done! Paint went well, some whoopsies but nothing that can't be finessed.
Next is to finish the bed with some real wood and wire up the lighting. Also fab up a dummy parachute and possibly remove/change the wheelie bar.
I'm thinking of adding an interior tub with a driver figure, there's some pretty cool 1:10 heads on Etsy that would work great
(I didn't paint the head, the pic is from the Etsy listing.)
1676073682022.png

https://www.etsy.com/listing/261813...f=sr_gallery-1-1&cns=1&organic_search_click=1

Here's some pics

PXL_20230210_165027716.jpg

PXL_20230210_165056874.jpg

PXL_20230210_165104827.jpg

PXL_20230210_165132597.jpg

PXL_20230210_165142125.jpg

PXL_20230210_165212687.jpg

Nice details!
Love the plug wires, braided fuel line and the belt.
All the stickers are scaled nicely also.
That is lookin like a shelfer. Too nice to run and scratch up. What are your plans?

Man that thing is sick dude. Helluva job! What paint did you use for the chrome? I have the Spaz mirror chrome, but I've only used it in the airbrush.

What paint did you use for the chrome? I have the Spaz mirror chrome, but I've only used it in the airbrush
Spaz rattle can. I've found that it works best for me by applying a couple of light coats (almost translucent) then gloss black. Too thick on the Spaz and it starts to look too "aluminiumy". That can be an useful also. Spaz chrome is great- back it with other colors and you can get some pretty wild effects.
Thanks to all for the kudos, I'll be glad to answer any questions or suggestions.
I wasn't sure what color this would end up when I started... had to do the valve covers in Chevy orange (of course!) and that limited the body color choices. My wife suggested emerald green (ugh!) and I was leaning towards pearl yellow. A friend visited and suggested HD livery, and the more I looked at it that seemed like the best choice. The only thing I'd change is the orange to a metallic or pearl orange. Too late for that tho...
Lots more to do, mostly detail and some more chassis tuning. It's still a bit squirrely with the skinnies up front, any suggestions on how to improve handling? Gotta keep the skinnies and big meats tho...:D

Spaz rattle can. I've found that it works best for me by applying a couple of light coats (almost translucent) then gloss black. Too thick on the Spaz and it starts to look too "aluminiumy". That can be an useful also. Spaz chrome is great- back it with other colors and you can get some pretty wild effects.
Thanks to all for the kudos, I'll be glad to answer any questions or suggestions.
I wasn't sure what color this would end up when I started... had to do the valve covers in Chevy orange (of course!) and that limited the body color choices. My wife suggested emerald green (ugh!) and I was leaning towards pearl yellow. A friend visited and suggested HD livery, and the more I looked at it that seemed like the best choice. The only thing I'd change is the orange to a metallic or pearl orange. Too late for that tho...
Lots more to do, mostly detail and some more chassis tuning. It's still a bit squirrely with the skinnies up front, any suggestions on how to improve handling? Gotta keep the skinnies and big meats tho...:D
Yeah, the first time I sprayed the chrome I painted it opaque, and the black didn't affect it much at all. The second time, I painted it on so you could barrly see it and it worked great.

That is lookin like a shelfer. Too nice to run and scratch up. What are your plans?
Pro-Line skid rails on the roof, a small rubber bumper on the radiator cap and a sacrificial spoiler in the back. Already have a bumper on the top of the scoop. Going to add some drywall tape, foam and flexi-seal for reinforcement.
PXL_20230211_022611328.jpg
Front bumper is pretty solid, and since it's open wheel the sides are somewhat protected. I'm gonna run it, but really as a show car not anything serious.
I'm working on a rear bumper/wheelie bar combo that will look more period and protect the rear also. I'm not a huge fan of the Traxxas TQi system but on this build it's really useful. Stock Velineon motor with 19/83 gears runs cool and is pretty quick off the line. This isn't a speed demon although the bare chassis did run 43mph so it's no slouch.

LED's in the headlights?

LED's in the headlights?
Yup, also will have tail lights and interior lights. Maybe some underbody LED strips also. I'll wire everything up this week.

Here's what's been done since last post...
Finished wood slats and chrome trim in bed
Added chrome RPM bumpers front and rear
Modified rear bumper mount/wheelie bar to fit better
Added chrome trim to orange accent stripes
Added wing and more decals
Installed fake parachute
Added bumpers on roof and leading edge of radiator (I know, ugly but functional)
Molotow chrome trim around windows
Added fake disc rotors all 4 corners
Tweaked front suspension (again- this has been the most difficult part of the build, getting the body to fit over the shock towers while keeping the stance and function correct)
PXL_20230218_183003497.jpg

PXL_20230218_182950981.jpg

PXL_20230218_182813047.jpg

PXL_20230218_182926042.jpg

So the body is about done. Still some touch up left to do on paint and detail.
Next is to fab up an interior with figures. Thinking of using Johnny Cash and Brittany Murphy, but may use Marv (from Sin City)
PXL_20230218_183455284.jpg

Also going to install side rails made from old HP scope handles (5" long, 1.5" deep chrome)
Custom license plates from Etsy on order (Florida "RAT ROD")

Chassis is finally about dialed in . Handles acceptably with the fat 'n skinnies, great with the Anacondas. The longer wheelbase and low CG really help.
Just need to clean up the wiring and make sure everything is loctited.

This has been a fun build, some issues along the way but all things considered it all worked out. A suggestion to anyone planning on using this body- build the chassis to fit the body. If you don't, you'll run into all sorts of alignment issues. I learned this the hard way.
Almost ready for some racing! (IROC would win)
PXL_20230218_183303545.jpg

Unreal, I absolutely love it. Amazing job bud.

Finally at the end!
Lights and wiring done
Interior with dash and gauges installed
Driver character is Marv (Mickey Rourke) from the movie "Sin City"
He would own a car like this, I think...
FLA license plates installed "RAT ROD"
Nerf bars installed
Left to do...
Add steering wheel and shift knob
Make a nicer parachute
Finish reinforcing body with drywall tape and Flex Seal, paint body inside black
Add some detail stuff to passenger side (weapons, etc.)

This has been a long and strange build, it kind of defined itself.
I had a blast doing it, now what to do next? (I love building...)
Thanks to all for the kind comments!
PXL_20230304_172458901.jpg

PXL_20230304_172520135.jpg

PXL_20230304_172855685.jpg

PXL_20230304_173013555.jpg

PXL_20230304_173019724.jpg

PXL_20230304_173138879.jpg

Very nice! Love the character driving!

This project turned out so cool man. Absolutely love it!