New Axial Wraith

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MudSlinger33

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just received my new winter project in the mail today and I need some input from you crawler guys. This kit will be built into more of a "rock crawler" rather than a "rock racer." I would like to upgrade as I build, so any one with ideas, please share. As of right now all I have to work with is the wraith kit plus an axial 55t motor. I need a crawler esc but have no idea where to start. Also, axial states there transmition is capable of using a "dig function." What is this and is it an upgrade worth doing? Any help or advice is much appreciated.
IMG_1878-1.jpg

I will be sure to check out the sidewinder SV2. Thanks for those links.

Dig allows for the rear to be locked so the front is all that is pulling, or vice versa.

Oh congrats on the rig too.

Thanks slown, I can't wait to get this thing out on the rocks and in some mud! That Dig function is something to consider. I will also be upgrading the steering links to aluminum as the stock ones have WAY to much flex.
I just finished assembling the axles. I will continue further tomorrow.

Starting with a clean slate, Thanks to Heath!
IMG_1879-1.jpg

IMG_1880-1.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

I just ordered the axial dig upgrade set and STRC aluminum steering links from amain, hopefully they will get here by Saturday.

Are you ever going to go brushless?

I am waiting for my Tekin Pro4 and a Mamba Max Pro to show up today

Are you ever going to go brushless?
Not any time soon, maybe once the brushed motor gives out.

My parts came in from amain yesterday and I got to make a little more progress on the build.
IMG_1892.jpg

DIG function installed.

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

I bought an axial AE2 esc today. Probably not anything special, but I liked the fact that it can be programmed using castle link.

the ae2 will only run on 2s, but you should be ok, with a 55t motor.

Ya I'm alright with that. Just curious though, what are the advantages of running 3s on a crawler?

Wheel speed when you need it, i had a 35t motor running on a sidewinder esc with 3s in my scx-10 and it had tremendous wheel speed when i needed it.

UPDATES?! Gahh I should have never sold my Wraith...

Yes, a few updates. My esc and LED lights will be here on friday. I assembled as far as I could until more parts arrive. Sorry Killer, but you did the wraith a favor, I'm sure if you had kept it would be at the bottom of a lake by now. :hehe:
My progress so far.
IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

This build has suddenly sparked my interest in aluminum parts, after searching around, I have found almost every part on this truck can be bought in aluminum...:whhooo:I'm thinking a full orange and silver anodized aluminum Wraith! :D Of course, that calls for a completely different build thread!

Last edited:
Before I upgraded to brushless, I ran a Titan 21t reverse rotation on 2s and 3s. Had good wheel speed. You can get the Titan shipped for $20 to$25, and that's on the expensive side. I'm now running a Mmp and a tekin pro4 3300kv.

Thanks Wolf. I finished putting her together day and took it out for its first maiden voyage through a little snow. I also did a little crawling through out the house. Though it aint no comp crawler, this thing does fairly well. I am going to need to either add some weight to the front of the truck or install the CKRC battery forward mod, as the truck is very unbalanced and has the tendency to flip backwards quite a bit. I'm thinking a set of wheel weights may be the quicker/easier solution.
IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

Got the aluminum body panels in the mail today, still waiting on the body wrap but I went ahead and installed the diff protectors and the belly pan. The fit and finish on these were excellent.
IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1907-1.jpg

For wheel wieghts, go down to your local tire shop and get some stick on wheel weights. Here they are $2 a stick. Also invest into some beadlocks, easier to fine tune weight and hold the tire better, and keep the same wheels when changing tires. I run hot bodies rovers, and tsl super swampers.

Back