Need recommendations

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've got some friends who have recently gotten in to crawlers and theyve been pressuring me to get one sooooo I need some advice on what to buy. Id like to find an MOA that is comp worthy and has tons of after market support. Whats around that falls in to these categories?

I've got some friends who have recently gotten in to crawlers and theyve been pressuring me to get one sooooo I need some advice on what to buy. Id like to find an MOA that is comp worthy and has tons of after market support. Whats around that falls in to these categories?
Axial SCX10, Traxxas TRX-4, Redcat Everest Gen7 or Gen 8. Personally, i prefer the Everest, but alot of guys i know tend to like the TRX-4 better, mainly because of the 2 speed transfer case. For a crawler that will run over all of them, and pretty much everything else that gets in its way, you could look for a 1/6TH Nylint Scorpion.

There are several awesome choices out there including a Traxxas TRX4, Axial SCX10, Vanquish are awesome machines but can be spendy.

Redcat has a few crawlers also that are budget friendly but I really think they are stepping up there game. I have a Redcat Everest 10 and a Redcat Gen 7 .

The wife and I have several crawlers but I enjoy building them myself.

That's the beauty of this style of driving, the possibilities are just about endless as far as accessories for crawlers.

We always keep a couple of rigs in the camper so we can crawl just about anywhere we go.

EDIT: @biggman100 beat me to it as I was typing...:)

not as many MOA's that i have seen recently, in a few of the FB groups i am in, i see alot of people really liking the RC4wd Bully II, but it definitely has a price tag. and am slightly unsure of how many upgrade parts there are for it, but might be worth a look.
i know G-made used to have a few but they discontinued all their MOAs.
Exceed had one that i heard was decent, but i dont know if id bother.

If theres not as many MOAs out there, is that because single motor set ups are just as good or what? Just curious if maybe looking at non MOA kits is a good idea too.

MOA's are and always will be far superior in a comper but comp crawler really died off when scalers started to take over. XR10, Bully or Bergs are your best options but finding a fully built setup isn't going to be even a fraction as easy as it was 10 years ago.
Back when I was comping I would have $1500 into a rig pretty easily but I dont think most of those axle mods or even chassis' are available anymore.

If you are looking for something in a scale crawler the trx4 is hard to beat but if your only goal is performance then the axial Capra is a great choice. I've done quite a few upgrades to mine and I'm impressed with its capable performance!

I want something thats as comp quality as I can get but something I can build up. I dont mind ending up $1500 in but It would be nice if I could buy in with some sort of RTR for $500-$700 and build up from there with after market parts. Is there anything like that anymore? If not whats the next best thing?

I want something thats as comp quality as I can get but something I can build up. I dont mind ending up $1500 in but It would be nice if I could buy in with some sort of RTR for $500-$700 and build up from there with after market parts. Is there anything like that anymore? If not whats the next best thing?

The bully 2 kit will likely be all you can find unless you luck out on Ebay or craigslist.
The bully 2 axles are far better than the originals, much much lighter. I think it's a good kit too, good chassis, just well thought out like the xr10 was.

The bully 2 kit will likely be all you can find unless you luck out on Ebay or craigslist.
The bully 2 axles are far better than the originals, much much lighter. I think it's a good kit too, good chassis, just well thought out like the xr10 was.
Awesome. I love the look of the Bully 2. What would you recommend for high quality ESCs and motors? Something from Tekin or Castle preferable or at least a company that is up there with them in temrs of quality.

Also does the Bully 2 have a fair amount of after market support?

I really dont know whats out there for aftermarket stuff since like I said the comp scene really died off. They are very strong axles though so I wouldnt worry about breaking anything. You might be able to find a rtr although I'm not sure what electronics it comes with but RC4wd had their own moa esc back in the day so that might be what they use. Its been so long since I had a comper that I dont remember exactly what setups I used to run but I know I had a few setups with dual esc's on 4s. Maybe check out one of my old threads or go over to rcc.

I really dont know whats out there for aftermarket stuff since like I said the comp scene really died off. They are very strong axles though so I wouldnt worry about breaking anything. You might be able to find a rtr although I'm not sure what electronics it comes with but RC4wd had their own moa esc back in the day so that might be what they use. Its been so long since I had a comper that I dont remember exactly what setups I used to run but I know I had a few setups with dual esc's on 4s. Maybe check out one of my old threads or go over to rcc.
I see RC4WD has a single ESC with dual motor outputs on it for brushed motors. That might be interesting to try out. Sorry when I said RTR I really meant kit. I never use RTR electronics very long (if at all) anyway. Thanks for helping to get me pointed in the right direction. I see a number of mods available for that kit so its prolly got aftermarket decent part support.

One more question for ya... How exactly do you go about setting up dual ESCs? Is it just a matter of using splitters coming from the RX or is there more to it than that?

I dont remember lol. I think I ran a bec to the rx battery slot, then servo, then the front esc, then the rear esc. With two and a proper radio, you have control of both front and rear so you cat use your 3rd channel to shut off signal to the rear esc for dig.
I dont like to send people else where but I'm sure rcc probably has some stickies on this stuff, its just been so long for me, I think its been like 9 or 10 years since I got out of crawlers.

If you were to want a shafty though, you can set one up to do very well. Do a good chassis, links and suspension, keep everything as low as possible and especially if you can find a dig unit and it would do great.

I dont remember lol. I think I ran a bec to the rx battery slot, then servo, then the front esc, then the rear esc. With two and a proper radio, you have control of both front and rear so you cat use your 3rd channel to shut off signal to the rear esc for dig.
I dont like to send people else where but I'm sure rcc probably has some stickies on this stuff, its just been so long for me, I think its been like 9 or 10 years since I got out of crawlers.

If you were to want a shafty though, you can set one up to do very well. Do a good chassis, links and suspension, keep everything as low as possible and especially if you can find a dig unit and it would do great.
Thanks for all your help dude. I havent been over to RCC in forever but you're right Ill probably need to get some advice from there as well.

I own a Bully 2 and like it very much. It is fascinating to take it over rocks as it articulates into crazy shapes to follow the terrain. You can change wheels, shocks, motors and the electronics If you want.

BUT (a big but) it was an RTR and it needed thread locker everywhere! Every time I got home I went over every bolt to make sure they were still tight. Even then some sneaked loose on me and I had to rethreadlock them. There is a ton of information, videos etc if you google RC4WD Bully 2. Generally the parts are ok but you would be advised to upgrade to Holmes Hobbies ESC, BEC and have a good Tx/Rx combo.

The person to follow is Samu from Finland who is a world champ. He has a set of videos on taking an RTR Bully 2 and doing some mods then competition. See “Zero2Hero”
RCCrawler has a Bully 2 section.
John

I own a Bully 2 and like it very much. It is fascinating to take it over rocks as it articulates into crazy shapes to follow the terrain. You can change wheels, shocks, motors and the electronics If you want.

BUT (a big but) it was an RTR and it needed thread locker everywhere! Every time I got home I went over every bolt to make sure they were still tight. Even then some sneaked loose on me and I had to rethreadlock them. There is a ton of information, videos etc if you google RC4WD Bully 2. Generally the parts are ok but you would be advised to upgrade to Holmes Hobbies ESC, BEC and have a good Tx/Rx combo.

The person to follow is Samu from Finland who is a world champ. He has a set of videos on taking an RTR Bully 2 and doing some mods then competition. See “Zero2Hero”
RCCrawler has a Bully 2 section.
John
Cool thanks man! Ill check it out.

A little late to the discussion, but the Vanquish VS4-10 Pro is another comp-worthy rig (but is really pricey). As for the best for the price, the TRX-4 is a good choice.

A little late to the discussion, but the Vanquish VS4-10 Pro is another comp-worthy rig (but is really pricey). As for the best for the price, the TRX-4 is a good choice.
Hows the after market support for the Vanquish kit?

Hows the after market support for the Vanquish kit?
Not a lot of aftermarket parts, but it comes pretty high-performance stock (has a lot of "upgrades" stock compared to other trucks like aluminum axle housings). The VS4-10 also comes in several configs (straight axles, portal axles, etc.), so you might have to do more research.

I own a TRX4 Sport, an SCX10, and an SCX10 3 kit. You can't go wrong with any of those. TONS of aftermarket stuff.