need more efficiency

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylanjanson1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i recently bought a traxxas t maxx 3.3 and i was hoping to get more play time out of it. i already bought new adjustable piggey back shocks and a larger motor saver air filter, a Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 High-Performance Tuned Pipe, and I'm also gonna run 33% nitro in it, is there anything i can do to keep the temps down more like a better engine cooling head? money is not an option i would greatly appretiate the advise

Dylan

A good start would be fuel with less oil in it. Lots have issues with the traxxas fuel

A good start would be fuel with less oil in it. Lots have issues with the traxxas fuel

do you have any suggestions to where i can buy it and what brand

I personally run Blue Thunder 30% and its an awesome fuel and have never had an issue. I used to run Traxxas Top Fuel 20% and was happy then rolled the dice and switched over and will never look back!

With a higher nitro % content you will need to shim the head and run it turned in 1/8-1/4 leaner to allow full combustion of the fuel so you dont break internals, have excessive "leak" out of your stinger and be able to dial your tune in more efficently.

Another thing that cause a mill to run at excessive temp is an over-oiled filter.

If you're using a body, you need to cut out or drill a section of the front windshield to allow air flow to the cooling head. That's if you haven't already.
I also trim the front of the body where it meets up with the bumper. This allows air flow to through the front bumper. Trimming the bottom portion of the rear tailgate will allow air to pass through the rear bumper. Drilling a series of small holes in the front grille area also works well.

Aftermarket cooling heads will cool the engine temp down but they can be risky. Don't be tricked into over leaning your engine because your engine is running at lower temps.
You should see a smoke trail during acceleration above all else.

Last edited:
If you're using a body, you need to cut out or drill a section of the front windshield to allow air flow to the cooling head. That's if you haven't already.
I also trim the front of the body where it meets up with the bumper. This allows air flow to through the front bumper. Trimming the bottom portion of the rear tailgate will allow air to pass through the rear bumper. Drilling a series of small holes in the front grille area also works well.

Aftermarket cooling heads will cool the engine temp down but they can be risky. Don't be tricked into over leaning your engine because your engine is running at lower temps.
You should see a smoke trail during acceleration above all else.

thank you i was thinking about doing that but i wasn't going to just cut the body without knowing about it. i was also thinking about an after market cooling head.

heres a list of my parts i ordered, not just for performance but also for cosmetic appearance, i dont care how fast anything is if it looks impractical and messy:

Integy Evolution-5 Lower Chassis Brace for T-Maxx 3.3
Integy Suspension Kit Monster Evolution-5 for T-Maxx
Integy MSR4 Piggyback Shock for Maxx
Motor Saver Large Air Filter TMX 2.5/3.3
Traxxas Top 33% Nitro Fuel

garagepics031.gif

Its hard to see in the pic but front and rear windshield are cut out allowing air to pass over and through the cooling fins. I use a body reamer, curved lexan scissors and exacto knife to create air flow holes.

Make your holes round or oval, not square. Square cut outs have a tendency to crack.

Integy Evolution-5 Lower Chassis Brace for T-Maxx 3.3
Integy Suspension Kit Monster Evolution-5 for T-Maxx
Integy MSR4 Piggyback Shock for Maxx
Motor Saver Large Air Filter TMX 2.5/3.3
Traxxas Top 33% Nitro Fuel

You should do some research before you run those Integy parts, they aren't known for being high quality. I hate seeing people waste their money on parts that won't last.

Nitrotrout Its hard to see in the pic but front and rear windshield are cut out allowing air to pass over and through the cooling fins. I use a body reamer said:
this is a great idea, thanks alot I'm definitly gonna try this, but since I'm deployed i wont be able to until august 2nd, ill be sure to post pictures fore you

You can control the temperature with your tune. You might be running too lean. If you are running hot, something is wrong. Also, I'm pretty sure from the factory, the traxxas motors are supposed to be running 20% with their fuel.

ya i ordered some 10% and 20% too thanks alpinehyperlite

You should do some research before you run those Integy parts, they aren't known for being high quality. I hate seeing people waste their money on parts that won't last.

About the only Integy parts worth a crap are there clutch's. I also have had good luck with a set of there chassis braces.

About the only Integy parts worth a crap are there clutch's. I also have had good luck with a set of there chassis braces.

ok thanks, I'm still doing my research, and like i said, I'm deployed right now so its gonna be awhile before i can put anything on and run them

Skip the leaky piggy backs and get the Traxxas BigBore shocks instead, you will need stiffer springs then the BB's come with as the red springs are really weak.
The integy shock spring set is good, the AE MGT springs work too, come in 4 spring rates & are much stiffer then the stock maxx springs.

Back