Need help with Picco 3tz

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel J

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
I recently stripped the head insert for my Picco 4tz by cross threading the threads 😕
I’ve been trying to look everywhere for a replacement but I can’t find one anywhere as they are all out of stock, I’ve tried the Picco rebel insert head but it knocks into the piston make it unusable. Please help!!!
Thank you.

it will take some at home skills or some machining. what old stripped out thread size? go up to next size get a extended tap. tap it then some screws . gotta do head to new size screws.

it will take some at home skills or some machining. what old stripped out thread size? go up to next size get a extended tap. tap it then some screws . gotta do head to new size screws.
It’s the turbo glow plug hole, I ordered a new head insert for a Picco p3TT but it hits the piston when the piston is at TDC so it’s now just a useless head insert :(

I recently stripped the head insert for my Picco 4tz by cross threading the threads 😕
I’ve been trying to look everywhere for a replacement but I can’t find one anywhere as they are all out of stock, I’ve tried the Picco rebel insert head but it knocks into the piston make it unusable. Please help!!!
Thank you.

You could try to use a helicoil to repair the insert you have. For some reason the only M8x0.75mm (turbo plug thread) kit I can find costs a little over $100... for that price you could just about have one machined anew.

You could try to use a helicoil to repair the insert you have. For some reason the only M8x0.75mm (turbo plug thread) kit I can find costs a little over $100... for that price you could just about have one machined anew.
Hmmmm I’ve heard not the best things about helicoils for glow plugs. I’m in the uk so I’m not sure where I could get it machined.
I wish manufacturers would specify the dimensions of their head insert so I can get one as similar to it as possible.

Hmmmm I’ve heard not the best things about helicoils for glow plugs. I’m in the uk so I’m not sure where I could get it machined.
I wish manufacturers would specify the dimensions of their head insert so I can get one as similar to it as possible.

I had a custom clutch-bell made by this machine shop, that I found on aliexpress. If you're handy with a pair of calipers and a CAD program of some sort, you could draft up the file yourself pretty easily. Would probably cost about the same as the kit I linked.

Other idea, could you try and use a head shim to raise the other button, the one which impinges on the cylinder at TDC?

I had a custom clutch-bell made by this machine shop, that I found on aliexpress. If you're handy with a pair of calipers and a CAD program of some sort, you could draft up the file yourself pretty easily. Would probably cost about the same as the kit I linked.

Other idea, could you try and use a head shim to raise the other button, the one which impinges on the cylinder at TDC?
Just tried to shim the hell out of it. Added 4 or 5 0.5mm shims to the button 😂 just gave it a little box tune and no leaks or smoke comes out of it so I think it’s working?
Thanks for the help mate
Do you think it’ll impact the performance adding so many shims? I think it’ll be fine because the compression is still great but I just felt it by hand and no scientific way.

Just tried to shim the hell out of it. Added 4 or 5 0.5mm shims to the button 😂 just gave it a little box tune and no leaks or smoke comes out of it so I think it’s working?
Thanks for the help mate
Do you think it’ll impact the performance adding so many shims? I think it’ll be fine because the compression is still great but I just felt it by hand and no scientific way.

Awesome, good fix! Probably fine with the compression, since the shims are basically recreating the spacing of the original button.

Awesome, good fix! Probably fine with the compression, since the shims are basically recreating the spacing of the original button.
Thanks for all your help, need to replace my clutch shoes because they are heavily worn, I’m running the Losi 4 shoe clutch kit. Can’t really find them in the Uk and it’s quite a lot of money for a few shoes by Losi. By any chance do you know any other shoes that may fit it?
Thanks a ton mate

Thanks for all your help, need to replace my clutch shoes because they are heavily worn, I’m running the Losi 4 shoe clutch kit. Can’t really find them in the Uk and it’s quite a lot of money for a few shoes by Losi. By any chance do you know any other shoes that may fit it?
Thanks a ton mate
You might have to shop around a little, maybe something like this? All of mine are 2- or 3-shoe, so that's beyond my expertise.