Need help with electric Rustler !!!!!!!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JESSE G

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just got my son,s electric Rustler going for the first time yesterday, and he ran it just a couple minutes before the tranny died :hammer: , I bought it on ebay as a roller for him at X-mas and never had it running untill yesterday so I had no idea the tranny was shot :(. Does anyone know where I can get gears to fix it or where I can get a new tranny for it? I have checked ebay for parts but no luck.Also If anyone has one they would be willing to sell let me know thanks guys

ARe you sure the tranny is shot? Your Diff just may need adjusting.

I dont know for use I still need to take it apart, that would be cool if thats all it was :D

Have you tried holding the spur gear while GENTLY rolling the truck forward/backwards? Does it roll with some resistance/have a gritty feeling, if at all? If so, i'd suspect the stripped idler gear. It's fairly easy to replace; just dedicate about 30 minutes or so, and a nice clean workspace.

You can also check the diff, but I STRONGLY doubt it's the diff; rustlers' aren't known for bad diff's; just bad idler gears (the center of the three gears in the trans). I can't remember if the rustler uses ball or planetary (it's been a loooooong time since I've had to work on a rustler).

It comes stock with a planetary diff.

That's what I thought... I know the stampede came with a planetary; wasn't 100% sure about the rustler... I do remember Thorp had a ball diff for the rustler (oi, now that's a bit of history, lol). But Thorp went the way o' the dinos, if I'm not mistaken....

I'm going to ammend the earlier post of mine; I agree with smaxxin... The idler gear is the probable culprit. Even if it isn't, if you put anything hotter than a 20 turn motor in there, you will garenteed strip the idler. Save some future heartache, and pony up for the alum version.

And while you have the trans open, check out the diff for wear and tear.

Also, and this one is optional; if you plan on letting the kids have a faster motor; you might want to consider the slipper clutch hopup (if it doesn't have one already). That will allow the trans to slip a little, and prevent any other gears from being chewed up.

Otherwise, excellent choice of truck for a kid; Rustlers take a heck of a beating and come back for more. I sold several at the shop I worked for, and every one of 'em went to a satisfied customer.

Thanks for the feedback guys I will check the Idler gear on it. For now I'm just keeping it stock for him untill he gets the hang of it. The rustler is an awesome little truck Both of my boys have one. I gave my yongest one mine it was my first rc and The most dependable rc we probally have in the house,

Jesse let me know what the problem is, I'm pretty sure I have the gears you need, including a diff thats built and ready to drop in.

That would be great!!! My son was so upset it only ran for about 5 minutes then that was all she wrote.

I just went through my parts and it looks like I have pretty much everything to do a complete rebuild, so let me know what you need and it's yours.

Cool sounds good, I will take it apart tonight or tomorrow, I need to get all my Rc stuff staighted out lol I have been working on both my trucks and have a mess of parts and tools everywhere!! I need a garage so badly lol

Hey Jesse, haven't heard from you, did you figure out what was wrong with your boys Rustler?

DirtRacinFool I sent you an E-mail, Things have been nuts around here the last couple days lol, by the way did you get your Oval racer up and going again? I still want to go out there and watch you guys run sometime sounds like a blast :D

Jesse, yeah the oval car is up and running again. By the way, check your email!! LOL

Back