Need help with AX10 Scorpion build.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffone

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am new to the RC Rock Crawling Industry, and I need a few pointers. First of all I just put in an order for a AX10, and I need to know what you all would suggest to complete the build. I bought what the website suggested. I just dont know what I really need.

This is what I bought that was suggested.

* Tower Hobbies 6-Cell 7.2V 1500mAh Stick Standard NiCd
* DuraTrax Streak Forward/Brake Hi-Frequency ESC J
* Futaba 2DR 2-Channel AM/2 S3003 Servos
* Team Orion 27T Double Method Motor

Thank you for the help. Oh yeah make sure you put things so I can undestand them, cause I am new to the whole thing. I have done some research though.

Thread moved to crawler forum.

I am new to the RC Rock Crawling Industry, and I need a few pointers. First of all I just put in an order for a AX10, and I need to know what you all would suggest to complete the build. I bought what the website suggested. I just dont know what I really need.

Thank you for the help. Oh yeah make sure you put things so I can undestand them, cause I am new to the whole thing. I have done some research though.
we can not help with out pics hahahaha nice buy what did it set you back?

If you can I would send the extras back and here is why

The battery, It will run on it but it will leave you wanting more, expect low run times with it

The ESC, No reverse, a crawler needs reverse

The radio set up, the servos are not strong enough, you will strip them

The motor, It will work but you probably paid more than you needed to. A 55 turn motor is only $19.00

It's not a good idea to follow Towers suggestions, they always suggest the stuff they can't sell.

I have gone to the brushless crawler system for my build and love it!! how is this one going we still need pics,I got to touch and feel a built one the other day at hobby town and man looks like a fast easy way to have a crawler!!!!

I've been itching for some sort of 1/10 scale electric as of late and this has just made my list. I figured I'd be the last person to jump on the crawler band wagon but this kit has caught my interest. Hmm....

if u go with the mamba maxx you can go brushless or brushed si gives you some opshoins. i'd go with a 55 turn motor like the ingety. but thats jest me . when i sell my maxx i buying a scopion but i'm going brushless.

Last edited:
if u go with the mamba maxx u ken go brushless in the fuer. wich i like go woth 55 turn like the ingety. but thats jest me . wen i sell my maxx i buying 1 but I'm going bruchless.

what the hell language is this?

If you can I would send the extras back and here is why

The battery, It will run on it but it will leave you wanting more, expect low run times with it

The ESC, No reverse, a crawler needs reverse

The radio set up, the servos are not strong enough, you will strip them

The motor, It will work but you probably paid more than you needed to. A 55 turn motor is only $19.00

It's not a good idea to follow Towers suggestions, they always suggest the stuff they can't sell.

I completely agree. Smaxxin is right on the money here.

ok, got a question..

I think it's obvious that servo speed is not very important here but how much torque is necessary. I understand the steering servo may be under a lot of strain sometimes.. Just curious what's is needed... 100oz/in., 150oz/in., 250oz/in.?

Last edited:
RCCA has an article it this moths issue. Its well worth reading.
S-Maxxin has sound advice. I will however point out that using a full size battery on this rig is not going to make you a happy camper. A local kid here has built one up and the first thing he did was ditch the batt. You can go LiPo and save the weight that sits HIGH on the top. It makes the rigs way to top heavy. He opted for 6 1400 2/3A batteries split into 2 3 cell packs mounted on the front axial.

Hes boasting 30 minute runtimes.

RCCA has an article it this moths issue. Its well worth reading.
S-Maxxin has sound advice. I will however point out that using a full size battery on this rig is not going to make you a happy camper. A local kid here has built one up and the first thing he did was ditch the batt. You can go LiPo and save the weight that sits HIGH on the top. It makes the rigs way to top heavy. He opted for 6 1400 2/3A batteries split into 2 3 cell packs mounted on the front axial.

Hes boasting 30 minute runtimes.

half an hour with 2/3A cells? Kewl! .. brushless motor?

Back