Need help! Rc got wet!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamar

RC Newbie
Reaction score
hey guys I need some help pls! It’s for my sons hpi trophy flux but I can’t find a good hpi forum so I’m seeking help. He accidentally ran the car through a hidden water puddle and now it’s broke! It will turn on and drive like it’s suppose to but the receiver is going into failsafe mode and it’s making a loud clicking noise and trying to move on it’s own! Is it my receiver or something worse?? It’s water proof but the esc and motor are s not! Thanks in advance for any help

First, you gotta dry it out. If you have an air compressor, or caned air, blow out the ESC best you can. Then do the rice-in-a-ziplock trick. Same with the RX, and maybe the servo.

For the car, blow it off too, and then put a drop or two of oil on all the bearing.

If the electrics didn't smoke right away, then they probably can be saved.

It’s water proof but the esc and motor are s not! Thanks in advance for any help

If there are still issues with it even after getting it dry, you can try the following: if you can get the receiver apart and open, you can drop it in a bag of 99% isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol displaces the water, and can carry away contaminants/minerals from the mud. Give it a good rinse in a second bag of same, then shake it off and let it air dry. Note: you shouldn't do this with things that are supposed to move like a fan motor...you'll probably wash away any/all oils for it to last properly...just for pure electronics.

as @Jerry-rigged says, if you don't get smoke or smell, then you are probably okay.

I’ve let it try out and took the esc apart didn’t really see anything there. I’ll try the rx. It’ll turn on and everything works and no smoke just the rx is lit up red and it’s applying the brakes like it’s in failsafe. Thanks guys

I’ve let it try out and took the esc apart didn’t really see anything there. I’ll try the rx. It’ll turn on and everything works and no smoke just the rx is lit up red and it’s applying the brakes like it’s in failsafe. Thanks guys
Can you share some pics? Based on what we see, we might be able to offer more specific advice.

Yeh when I get back home I can try and take some pics or maybe a video of what it’s doing? This happened a few days ago and I’ve worked on it a little after work. I broke esc down and put it back together didn’t see any damage and it didn’t help. Could it be the esc if it still turns on and drives?

Wouldn’t let me upload a video but it’s making a loud and fast clicking noise from the front of the motor area and I can see the pinion gear kinda twitching if that makes any sense

Esc light is green when I first turn it on but then turns to red and the rx red light is on. When it first happened the remote stopped working but when I turned it off and back on it started working. Any ideas?

Attachments

• EAC3FD95-9B7B-464D-86C9-4AEA0ABFC103.jpeg
    EAC3FD95-9B7B-464D-86C9-4AEA0ABFC103.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 65
  • A29B2985-5456-4E8C-A186-0CF7D6557E73.jpeg
    A29B2985-5456-4E8C-A186-0CF7D6557E73.jpeg
    436.8 KB · Views: 71
Ok. I’ll give that a try. It’ll stop making the noise and all if I either turn off the remote or unplug the esc from the receiver if that helps any

Ok I replaced the receiver and set it up and everything worked fine. Done a little bit of cleaning since I had it tore down some... put everything back together and got it ready to drive.. turned it on and it done the same thing again! Motor is making a clicking noise and u can see the pinion gear twitching.... any ideas??

I am thinking the ESC still is wet. The Dynamite esc in my ECX torment does this when it gets wet - it just cogs real bad, won't spin the motor. I will put it under a lamp to warm it up for a day or two, that normally dries it out. Or do the bag of rice trick.

It’s been a week and I tore it completely down and cleaned it. Could it still be wet? I’ve been wanting to upgrade it anyway my son wants it more like the typhon...wants it to pop wheelie lol. What are my options on doing this? The motor first or the esc if I can’t afford both at once? I don’t want it wicked fast but more too end and a lot more acceleration. Mamba monster or max8? I’m new to this so...

Step one for wheelies is to tighten up the center diff. Put some 300k or 500k in the CD, and try that out. Also tires - gotta have good traction. If that won't get you there, then look at something like a MMX w/ 1515 2200kv combo. The Hobbywing max8 with a 4275 motor would be good too.

Got it running!! Thanks for everyone’s help ended up replacing the receiver and remote and then when I went through all the esc settings again it worked and been doing fine. I’m gonna definitely try the diff oil and see if it’ll do wheelies like that....he’s gotta have it lol

Back