Need Help, engine seized?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazza27

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi, Just recently purchased a Kyosho Inferno neo 2.0 with a KE21r nitro engine, I have done the break in process for this. I then took out the buggy today just to tune it then after a while it just cut out and while trying to crank it the piston was jammed( I thought it was seized but managed to free it by manually turning the flywheel with a flathead and hammer but with not much force) I also noticed that now the piston does not move freely up and down like it did with the sleeve in when I first bought it, also the flywheel moved freely with a bit of resistance at the top then back down with a finger but will not move with a finger now, only a flathead with a hammer or the pullstart. After much oil in the crankcase to get everything to move inside It becomes quite stiff with the head and button with the glow plug in. I emptied all the oil and went to test to see if it would fire up but it seem's it does not want too. If anybody could give me some advice it would be appreciated. Thanks

I have you opened up the engine to make sure nothing is broken like the connecting rod or to see if the piston and sleeve are scarred.

I have you opened up the engine to make sure nothing is broken like the connecting rod or to see if the piston and sleeve are scarred.
Hi, I have not opened up the engine to see, But I have noticed that the piston did look like that it had a flange edge on one side if you know what i mean

Yoy may want to open it up at least take the backplate off and see what you can.

Yoy may want to open it up at least take the backplate off and see what you can.
Done that and everything looks fine tho the piston head looks like it has some dents at the bottom of the head

Done that and everything looks fine tho the piston head looks like it has some dents at the bottom of the head
Any pictures? There shouldn't be dents...
Glad to know you broke it in BTW :)
You weren't running it too rich were you?

Any pictures? There shouldn't be dents...
Glad to know you broke it in BTW :)
You weren't running it too rich were you?
it was running abit rich because it was spitting oil out of the exhaust pipe. I did five tanks to break it in, Is that good? I took apart the engine and checked to make sure nothing had snapped but all seemed fine. I will upload pics of the piston. Also don't know if this is normal but when I first got the buggy i was able to pull the starter quite easily and turn the flywheel but now i can not turn the flywheel with a finger anymore.

it was running abit rich because it was spitting oil out of the exhaust pipe. I did five tanks to break it in, Is that good? I took apart the engine and checked to make sure nothing had snapped but all seemed fine. I will upload pics of the piston. Also don't know if this is normal but when I first got the buggy i was able to pull the starter quite easily and turn the flywheel but now i can not turn the flywheel with a finger anymore.
It shouldn't be tight after running...5 tanks of proper, gradual break in should be good enough... You haven't flooded the engine have you? Take out the glow plug and try again.

No engine not flooded, took apart the engine and everything looks fine apart from the piston has burrs on it, the flywheel will not spin freely at all especially when the sleeve is not in the crankcase (I tested it before I put it back together) yet it is easy to turn over with the pull start.

Some engines will get stuck at top dead center,I beleive after the piston rod gets hammered
after awhile,especialy after break-in,the rod gets distorted at the bushing causing some slop,
in which the piston will go further up into the pinch causing it to get stuck.
Its a good idea to replace the rod after break-in an some runtime.

No engine not flooded, took apart the engine and everything looks fine apart from the piston has burrs on it, the flywheel will not spin freely at all especially when the sleeve is not in the crankcase (I tested it before I put it back together) yet it is easy to turn over with the pull start.
Are your bearings seized, as the crankshaft should spin freely in the crankcase without any resistance.