Need help custom build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kessler0822

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys my name is daniel I’m wanting to do something that I haven’t seen done atleast not what I can find I’m wanting to build a large scale rc rotator with dual engines for massive power I need help to get pointed in the right direction
I’m looking to build from scratch

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Welcome in @Kessler0822 . Are you talking about something like this?

motor mount.jpg

Yes exactly basically I’m wanting to recreate the

yes I’m wanting to recreate the century m100 with 2 motors
It would be easier and more practical to just use 1 big motor instead of 2 smaller ones. Unless theres some specific reason you want to do a dual motor build?

Welcome to RCT first and foremost.. Do you have ideas besides more power. Can do that with out the two motors
It would be easier and more practical to just use 1 big motor instead of 2 smaller ones. Unless theres some specific reason you want to do a dual motor build?
Lol just asked the same thing

1 would work just not sure how big they get and wheather nitro or electric would be better also where I can get a chassis made for 2 turn axles and 4 back axles

1 would work just not sure how big they get and wheather nitro or electric would be better also where I can get a chassis made for 2 turn axles and 4 back axles
They get pretty big. An 800kV 1/5 scale motor would be pretty dang powerful.

You dont want to go nitro as you would have cooling issues when the kit isnt moving and brushless electric motors have more torque.

can't answer your chassis question. Hopefully someone else can.

These motor mounts are all over the place on the web, it's a E-maxx motor mount. I agree with @Greywolf74 , I would go with one instead.

Ok thank you guys my son love trucks and wants the “biggest” one he can get lol just don’t have a cancel machine to get in the right direction

Ok thank you guys my son love trucks and wants the “biggest” one he can get lol just don’t have a cancel machine to get in the right direction
Like @Greywolf74 mentioned as did I. A build with one big as* motor and geared rite would be a beast of a truck. You just got to figure out what type of truck. You want to go monter truck or a truggy truck thats built for speed.. But rite now the biggest one would be a Primal. "Raminator". Or the Traxxas X maxx. But those are from $1500 to $3000 don't think your trying to spend that much on a rc truck just yet but here a look at them

https://www.primalrc.com/product-prmtr

https://m.traxxas.com/products/landing/x-maxx/

Like @Greywolf74 mentioned as did I. A build with one big as* motor and geared rite would be a beast of a truck. You just got to figure out what type of truck. You want to go monter truck or a truggy truck thats built for speed.. But rite now the biggest one would be a Primal. "Raminator". Or the Traxxas X maxx. But those are from $1500 to $3000 don't think your trying to spend that much on a rc truck just yet but here a look at them

He wants one replicated like the century m100 from axle count to lights and working winches

the kid has High hopes but very unlikely a new person to rc will have the ability to do this..I dont think the real M100 tow truck has powered rear wheels looks like a cab n then tow bed sure tow truck has a motor to power hydraulics but rear id start with a semi style cab then build the custom tow rig with its own power and radio.but anyway more power 2 u ur gonna need it

Hey guys my name is daniel I’m wanting to do something that I haven’t seen done atleast not what I can find I’m wanting to build a large scale rc rotator with dual engines for massive power I need help to get pointed in the right direction
I’m looking to build from scratch

Thanks in advance
I'm needing around 30 channels on my transmitter for my project. Can I have something like 16 channels at one time, flick a switch and continue with the remaining 14 channels. Then putting the switch back to the first position I can have the first 16 channels again.

I'm needing around 30 channels on my transmitter for my project. Can I have something like 16 channels at one time, flick a switch and continue with the remaining 14 channels. Then putting the switch back to the first position I can have the first 16 channels again.
No idea but I'm curious what project you have that needs that many channels!

Maybe I do not understand the dual motor idea - wouldn't the slowest/weakest motor regulate what is going on and wouldn't there be a tenancy for the stronger motor to strip out the teeth on the gears? I presume one would want matching motors but are they exactly the same and how long would they stay exactly the same? And if they are exactly the same, what are you gaining?

the kid has High hopes but very unlikely a new person to rc will have the ability to do this..I dont think the real M100 tow truck has powered rear wheels looks like a cab n then tow bed sure tow truck has a motor to power hydraulics but rear id start with a semi style cab then build the custom tow rig with its own power and radio.but anyway more power 2 u ur gonna need it
I’ve got experience maybe not as much as I’ll need but I’ve built probably 10 ish models nothing with hydraulics though
Maybe I do not understand the dual motor idea - wouldn't the slowest/weakest motor regulate what is going on and wouldn't there be a tenancy for the stronger motor to strip out the teeth on the gears? I presume one would want matching motors but are they exactly the same and how long would they stay exactly the same? And if they are exactly the same, what are you gaining?
I was thinking wouldn’t running in series with the 2 motors would double the power

I’ve got experience maybe not as much as I’ll need but I’ve built probably 10 ish models nothing with hydraulics though

I was thinking wouldn’t running in series with the 2 motors would double the power
Hydraulics? Why not use electric servos? Also, I haven’t seen any transmitters with 30+ channels before, but if I were doing this kind of project I might consider a double RX/TX setup that used one radio for steering, propulsion, and perhaps lights and a separate one to power the boom, winches, etc. I have seen lighting and servo switching modules that allow one channel to operate multiple outputs but I’m not sure if it would be just an on/off thing per each output or if you could actually operate specific things that articulate on multiple axis’s.
If you are really set on using actual hydraulics, a separate radio would almost certainly be necessary to operate a separate motor for the hydraulic pump and all the servo switches you’d need for the control lines, as they obviously wouldn’t be mechanicall/manually operated since no operator would be onboard. This radio would have to be an airplane/drone unit because you’re going to need those joysticks for sure. Got an electrical engineer for a friend? Because if someone could help you lay out and build a control panel with multiple joysticks and separate controls that would work with a standalone radio and a separate receiver on the truck it would be awesome! Whatever approach you favor you have a LOT to ponder!
This would have to be one gigantic truck (what your son wants anyway) to hide all the mechanicals, servo banks, hydraulic pumps, etc. in the chassis.
This is quite the ambitious project sir, and if you go forward with it Please document it in a build thread like @Greywolf74 said. That way we could follow your build and you’d have one thread to ask questions, post updates, and let us see everything as it unfolds.
Good luck, sounds like a really cool project!

Hydraulics? Why not use electric servos? Also, I haven’t seen any transmitters with 30+ channels before, but if I were doing this kind of project I might consider a double RX/TX setup that used one radio for steering, propulsion, and perhaps lights and a separate one to power the boom, winches, etc. I have seen lighting and servo switching modules that allow one channel to operate multiple outputs but I’m not sure if it would be just an on/off thing per each output or if you could actually operate specific things that articulate on multiple axis’s.
If you are really set on using actual hydraulics, a separate radio would almost certainly be necessary to operate a separate motor for the hydraulic pump and all the servo switches you’d need for the control lines, as they obviously wouldn’t be mechanicall/manually operated since no operator would be onboard. This radio would have to be an airplane/drone unit because you’re going to need those joysticks for sure. Got an electrical engineer for a friend? Because if someone could help you lay out and build a control panel with multiple joysticks and separate controls that would work with a standalone radio and a separate receiver on the truck it would be awesome! Whatever approach you favor you have a LOT to ponder!
This would have to be one gigantic truck (what your son wants anyway) to hide all the mechanicals, servo banks, hydraulic pumps, etc. in the chassis.
This is quite the ambitious project sir, and if you go forward with it Please document it in a build thread like @Greywolf74 said. That way we could follow your build and you’d have one thread to ask questions, post updates, and let us see everything as it unfolds.
Good luck, sounds like a really cool project!
Will do got one of my buddies helping me build schematics now but this will deffinetly be a show truck for sure just have to find somewhere in North Carolina he can roll with it

I like to fix and build stuff. This forum has been very patiently helpful especially when I ask dumb questions. 99% of my RC-ing is pre-packaged kits and ready to run stuff. How does one begin with an idea or a speck of info like a single photo and turn this into a viable RC Vehicle? Are there master scratch builders out there who would mentor a total Noob through this forum or via emails ? Being a tad odd myself, I procliveate to oddities like BUCKMINISTER FULLER'S DYMAXION, MESSERSCHMIT KR200, EDGLEY'S OPTICA, ABRAM'S P-1 EXPLORER, the IJN KOTETSU, the TURBINIA, etc. Boats; OK, there are LIVE STEAM model marine engines out there; does anyone offer a high pressure steam turbine engine for model boats ? Right now, my experimental flying RC VIOLIN made of concrete has got problems. It plays Tchaikovsky's Concerto in D reasonably well but gets all squidgy when I try to play anything by Paganini :-( Thank you again to all the GREAT PEOPLE in this forum !

Attachments

• Classic & Sports Car – Miniature marvel! Messerschmitt KR200 restoration – 22.jpg
    Classic & Sports Car – Miniature marvel! Messerschmitt KR200 restoration – 22.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 42
  • 19573856.jpg
    19573856.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Abrams_Explorer_3-view_L'Aerophile_March_1938.jpg
    Abrams_Explorer_3-view_L'Aerophile_March_1938.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 32
  • edgley-optica-cutaway-drawing-1569739.jpg
    edgley-optica-cutaway-drawing-1569739.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen-Shot-2019-12-20-at-11.08.47-PM-771x321.png
    Screen-Shot-2019-12-20-at-11.08.47-PM-771x321.png