Need for Speed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbnjzb

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok, so I'm new to brushless and lipo technology. I just put a brushless system in my savage x. I put a 2560kv 6 turn motor and a 150amp ESC. Currently, I'm using 2 2s 5000mah lipos. I have a 44 spur and a 25 pinion gear. My problem is I don't feel like things are fast enough!

What's the largest batteries I could use with this setup? Would a change in gearing help? I mean I'm not doing backflips from a standstill! :) No but really any ideas? I appreciate it! Oh and Happy New Year!!

It sounds like your electronics are plenty juiced up and ready to pop, I would explore differant gearing ratios & go from there, one of the Savy gurus will chime in and tell me to either shut up cause I am an idiot, or tell you some good gear ratios, or both :D

It sounds like your electronics are plenty juiced up and ready to pop, I would explore differant gearing ratios & go from there, one of the Savy gurus will chime in and tell me to either shut up cause I am an idiot, or tell you some good gear ratios, or both :D

Thanks! It seems like that I'm not sure, that's funny! It's ok! Actually, the pinion I'm using is a 20 tooth. Just to make a correction. Good gear ratios would be nice to know.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

I also have on hand a 25 tooth pinion.

You should be able to use 2 3s batteries with a minimum rating of 30C @ 5000 mah. As for battery size I don't know what will fit. Keep an eye on esc and motor temps, anything over 180 is BAD.

You should be able to use 2 3s batteries with a minimum rating of 30C @ 5000 mah. As for battery size I don't know what will fit. Keep an eye on esc and motor temps, anything over 180 is BAD.

Thanks for the feedback. My concern was with the specs. It says max volts 21. Does that mean that 6s would be too much? What would happen?

Here's specs:
Size: 40x68
Kv: 2560
Poles: 6
Max Amps: 120A
Max Volts: 21v
Max Watts: 2200w
Idle Current: 5.0A
Resistance (Ri): 5.8
Shaft size: 5mm

Hmmm, that changes everything. I guess you could get away with 5s.
Wasn't it 150 amps in your first post?

Well it looks like 5s is gonna be the max either way. Doesn't it say on the mfg's website?

It does mean you are limited to 5S. What brand motor and ESC are you running. 44T spur and 25T Pinion is a really low gear ratio. that is a set up for high speed not torque. If you want to pull wheelies you need to gear up for my torque. You can also check your ESC setting and set your punch level for a higher setting. that might help too.

It does mean you are limited to 5S. What brand motor and ESC are you running. 44T spur and 25T Pinion is a really low gear ratio. that is a set up for high speed not torque. If you want to pull wheelies you need to gear up for my torque. You can also check your ESC setting and set your punch level for a higher setting. that might help too.

I got a Hobbyking ESC and a Turnigy Trackstar motor. For the price I couldn't beat it! What's a good ratio for more torque? Punch level is set the highest, what about timing should that be messed with? Thanks for the help!

5s is gonna be a little much imho, you can gear higher and run 4s and be able to go faster,but just watch your temps. BUT if you want more speed go with a flux system 2200Kv motor (basicly a rebadged Mamba monster) run 6s and be prepared for complete and total mayhem

5s is gonna be a little much imho, you can gear higher and run 4s and be able to go faster,but just watch your temps. BUT if you want more speed go with a flux system 2200Kv motor (basicly a rebadged Mamba monster) run 6s and be prepared for complete and total mayhem

Hes not wanting more speed, hes wanting more torque to pull wheelies from what I understand. Although you do have to understand that in order to get more torque you will have to sacrifice top speed some. You can either gear down for speed like youve done or you can gear up for torque. One takes away from the other. I wouldnt mess with timing. You can get a little more performance from your motor by turnign the timing up but the tradeoff is your motor will run quite a bit hotter. Generally only racers mess with timing.

As for what gear ratio to use to get more torque I can't say exactly as I dont have your particular set up but you can either increase the size of your spur or decrease the size of your pinion to get more torque. Its something you'll just have to play with until you find the level you want. Running 5S will give you more power too if your motor and ESC are capable of handling it. make sure your motor can handle 5S and then make sure your ESC can handle the AMP draw from the motor. Which Hobbywing did you get and what KV is your Trackstar? I'm just curious.

Last edited:
Which Hobbywing did you get and what KV is your Trackstar? I'm just curious.

I got a Hobbyking 150 amp esc and a 2560kv Trackstar. Thanks for all the info!

Wheelies aren't a problem I just feel like there could be more power. Although, took it out today after loosening the gear mesh a little, it was too tight, and wow this thing does move! It kinda sux bashing up my body more than I wanted to...wah lol. Think I will check on 5S because that sounds like some serious fun! Wish 6S were an option but I'll just have to upgrade motor down the road.

Also, after about 20 mins of fast driving today motor was only at 100 degrees f. That's not too bad is it?

ideally you want to keep the motor under 150 degrees. 160-170 is pushin it and anything over 180 is a definate no no. If your motor is ony at 100F I would gear it down for some more speed. Unless you feel it has enough already.

When you say gear it down do you mean larger pinion to make ratio smaller or a smaller gear? Sorry still learning thanks!