Need ESC advise.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I just purchased the brushed Axial AM27 540 Electric Motor and I need recommendations for what ESC I should use with it. I'll be running a pair of 7.2 5000 NiMH batts.

I assume the packs will be wired in parallel with that motor. What application will you be using this in? Do you plan on upgrading to brushless later and/or lipo packs?

No, no upgrades. This is for the 1/6 scale Humm-Vee. It's got some weight, I'll be using the Revo 2 speed trans with reverse, but I chose that motor so I can get some low end grunt off road as well as descent speed without risking a roll over from too much.
It's intended as a scaler in appearance as well as function.
I'm not sure if I should run it as 7.2 or 14.4. Let me know what you think. I'm guessing 7.2.

I'm sure I know the answer but do you think you will be submerging it ever? Maybe you can pick up a used xl5 if you are....

Your scaler project looks pretty big , in my opinion the 27T axial motor might not have enough grunt to move it.

What is your estimated final weight for the rig? What kind of speed are you looking for? What is the diameter of the tires?

Not sure yet on the final weight. Far lighter than an E-Revo, I'm sure. The Rok Lok tires are about 5 5/8 and I have a 65T spur with a 13T pinion. Remember, it's also the 2 speed.
I got that gearing in hopes of getting some good off road power. I'm more concerned with that than the cruising speed.
Because of the materials used in the interior, it will never be in water.

That's what I'm using in my SCX-10 and seems to be really good so far. Running full out for 15 or so minutes and the ESC is not really too warm to the touch on a 2s LiPo and 26t and 55t motors at various times. I could rest my finger tips on the heatsink and feel a warm sensation even on the 26t motor.

Last edited:
I don't even understand why he's going to put an ESC on it when he isn't going to run it anyway.

Axial motor and Tazer esc, WTF? I know it will never run but you can't half ass the running gear in a beast like that! You don't want brushless so I suggest either the Sidewinder or mamba esc on 3s powering a 35t motor. I know it will never run but that should give it enough power and speed in case you one day regain your senility and decide to get it dirty...yes I said dirty:hehe:

The Tazer should be fine. The most action it will see off road is the carpet of Rolex's living room. :hehe:

I assume you're going to run a BEC to help power auxiliary accessories?

Last edited:
If I PROMISE to get it dirty, will these merciless beatings finally stop?

Yes, Dom, BEC. I'm even considering using my 7 channel stick radio with it.

Okay, how about this one? Could I run this with the two 7.2 5000s?

Team Losi 1/8 Xcelorin Sensorless Brushless ESC/Motor Combo (1300Kv)

losb9556.jpg

1/8 Sensorless Motor- The powerful 720-sized Xcelorin Sensorless brushless motor offers performance designed features like a sintered neodymium rotor, precision motor ball bearings, and is virtually maintenance free.

1/8 Sensorless ESC - The feature packed Xcelorin Sensorless Electronic Speed Control features a high-speed cooling fan, pre-wired Losi EC5 power connector, accommodates a 3-5 cell LiPo battery pack, forward/brake with reverse or forward/brake settings, two preset drive profiles with unlimited potential with a PC and much more.
The ESC also includes a Quick Programming Card, which allows adjustments to the ESC without the need for a computer, and included three pre-programmed profiles for convenience.

Features

• Powerful, 720-sized sensorless brushless four pole motor
  • No motor maintenance required
  • Precision motor ball bearings for smoother operation
  • Sintered Neodymium rotor
  • Longer run times
  • 160A continuous current with 800A peak
  • Prewired Losi EC5 power connector
  • Accommodates a 3-5-cell LiPo battery pack
  • High-speed cooling fan for lower running temperatures and protection
  • Optimized for Spektrum or legacy radio systems
  • Internal and programmable BEC
  • Adjustable low-voltage cutoff to protect your battery investment
  • Forward/Brake with Reverse or Forward/Brake settings
  • Forward and reverse throttle limiting available
  • Four LEDs to indicate functions
  • Three preset drive profiles: 3S, 4S and 5S
  • Quick Programming Card allows adjustments to the ESC without the need for a computer
  • Includes three pre-programmed profiles for convenience
  • PC setup software CD included for complete configuration of profiles
  • Software interface allows for unlimited profile settings and tuning
  • Adjust brake and throttle curve settings with the simple-to-use graphical interface software

Last edited:
If your going 1/8 brushless and want to stick with 7.2 batteries I would suggest a sensored system, they give better low speed control...My sensored novak ss 5800 could move at a Snell's pace with absolutely zero jerking. None of the sensorless systems I have tried were as smooth even with lipos.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...ase&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product-Feeds

It's out of stock here but I think the description is a little better.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVHA8&P=ML

Last edited:
This is the reason I'm leaning towards the Losi:

Low Price: $304.99
Special: $189.99

----------------------------
EDIT:

Done deal. I've looked till my eyes burned, and based on my research and your recommendation, I pulled the trigger on this.
Free shipping, and it will be here in 3 days.

nov3027.jpg

lnovc3027.jpg

lnovc3027.jpg

Last edited:
Those do run pretty nice. I have used one in a buggy conversion. Man the prices on those have really dropped! I could not believe how much they came down. The must be ready to put out another line that will compete with Castle a bit more. This will be another kick ass build when it's done.

Yeah, I was pretty impressed by the info on this as well as it's 169 price. I decided not to cheap out with a brushed motor, but I didn't want to go over 300, either.
I have a Futaba XS3 PRO that I use for testing things, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to drop another bill for an M-11 or DX-7 receiver.

I think your going to be very happy with that purchase! A lot of people rather the castle stuff because it has the potential to be faster but for all around power and drive ability Novak is hard to beat IMO.

Back