Need advice on new motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasos

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone! New to the rc world here!
I recently bought the Strada rx for which I bought 2s lipo 5200mah to change from the standard nimh. after a couple of days of use the motor died (pic included). I'm not really sure of where the jumper where initially as I didn't pay attention.
Question is.now that I need a new motor which one suits me better? ( Links if you would be so kind)
Do I need to change pinion gear as well??
ESC also??
Thank you in advance!!
IMG_20221016_192833.jpg

IMG_20221016_192905.jpg

Id probably try something like THIS Reedy 12T if you're going to stay with a brushed system. You could also put a brushless system in it for more power but then you may need upgraded driveline parts from the brushless version of the Maverick Strada RX.

Welcome in @nasos Unfortunately stock brushed motors really don't last long at all.

Thank you!!! I know they are sensitive but that one didn't last two days on the lipo
Id probably try something like THIS Reedy 12T if you're going to stay with a brushed system. You could also put a brushless system in it for more power but then you may need upgraded driveline parts from the brushless version of the Maverick Strada RX.
I would like to go brushless but don't want to spend all that much money on upgrades!!! My question is regarding to the jumpers.if I hadn't put them in correct position would that be able to cause all this?? Also me been in the UK I was going for something like this!

9imod F540-V2 4370KV Brushless Sensorless Waterproof Motor 3.175mm+60A ESC For 1/10 RC Car
https://amzn.eu/d/2LHc0vk.

Last edited:
Thank you!!! I know they are sensitive but that one didn't last two days on the lipo

I would like to go brushless but don't want to spend all that much money on upgrades!!! My question is regarding to the jumpers.if I hadn't put them in correct position would that be able to cause all this?? Also me been in the UK I was going for something like this!

9imod F540-V2 4370KV Brushless Sensorless Waterproof Motor 3.175mm+60A ESC For 1/10 RC Car
https://amzn.eu/d/2LHc0vk.
I'm going to say no on that brushless combo... Mostly because its out of stock! 🤣
In all seriousness though I would never buy a motor that is a 540 or 550 can size but has really deep "cooling" groves in it. You see how that one you linked has those really deep grooves in it?
Capture.JPG

Thats because this isnt really a 540 size motor. Its a 380 sized motor in a 540 size can. No Bueno!

What Id recommend if you're on a really tight budget and you want to be able to buy something off of Amazon UK then get something like THIS. They have that combo in 3 kV ratings. Id either get the 3800kV or the 4200kV. I dont have any experience with this combo myself as I usually dont use budget electronics but I know GoolRC combos tend to get used a fair amount by a lot of people on a budget. Even if you pick a different combo, try and get one like the one I linked that has not only the ESC and motor but also has a programming card for the ESC.

I'm going to say no on that brushless combo... Mostly because its out of stock! 🤣
In all seriousness though I would never buy a motor that is a 540 or 550 can size but has really deep "cooling" groves in it. You see how that one you linked has those really deep grooves in it?
View attachment 154433
Thats because this isnt really a 540 size motor. Its a 380 sized motor in a 540 size can. No Bueno!

What Id recommend if you're on a really tight budget and you want to be able to buy something off of Amazon UK then get something like THIS. They have that combo in 3 kV ratings. Id either get the 3800kV or the 4200kV. I dont have any experience with this combo myself as I usually dont use budget electronics but I know GoolRC combos tend to get used a fair amount by a lot of people on a budget. Even if you pick a different combo, try and get one like the one I linked that has not only the ESC and motor but also has a programming card for the ESC.
First and foremost thank you for taking the time!!!! I'm learning a lot and I really appreciate it.
It's not that I am on a tight budget,it's the fact that I bought the whole car for £150,so I don't wanna throw all that much money on it.this is my first 1/10 car.if I would link you the stock motor,do you think you could tell me if it could take the 2s lipo???

First and foremost thank you for taking the time!!!! I'm learning a lot and I really appreciate it.
It's not that I am on a tight budget,it's the fact that I bought the whole car for £150,so I don't wanna throw all that much money on it.this is my first 1/10 car.if I would link you the stock motor,do you think you could tell me if it could take the 2s lipo???
Also if I go brushless with the one linked above,would I need to change spur and pinion gear as well??

Also if I go brushless with the one linked above,would I need to change spur and pinion gear as well??
You wont need to change the spur but you may need to adjust your pinion size. Hard to say exactly. A 12T motor is roughly 3900kV so if you get the 3800kV then your same pinion might work fine. If you get the 4200kV then you may need to go down a few teeth on your pinion. You'll just have to keep taking temps of the motor at first until you get it dialed in and make sure its not going to overheat on whatever pinion size you are running.

Back