Need advice for police RC!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kfad

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Brand new member here, zero experience hoping for some advice. I work for a police department that is exploring using RC cars to more safely search buildings/homes during SWAT operations. Companies obviously make robots that do this job but they are very expensive. Were looking for a RC that can transmit video/audio to the operator via bluetooth or wifi. I'm certain there is criteria I havent considered but I'd factor in the following when we decide what to purchase:

battery life
camera quality
remote distance
flashlight
maneuverability
ability to overcome obstacles
durability
cost

We are open to buying a purpose-built RC/camera or mounting a camera to a car(go pro etc). And advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brand new member here, zero experience hoping for some advice. I work for a police department that is exploring using RC cars to more safely search buildings/homes during SWAT operations. Companies obviously make robots that do this job but they are very expensive. Were looking for a RC that can transmit video/audio to the operator via bluetooth or wifi. I'm certain there is criteria I havent considered but I'd factor in the following when we decide what to purchase:

battery life
camera quality
remote distance
flashlight
maneuverability
ability to overcome obstacles
durability
cost

We are open to buying a purpose-built RC/camera or mounting a camera to a car(go pro etc). And advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the RCTalk ,there is people here that know more about that then I do ,I only know how to bash them!...LOL

But anyway ,stick around an enjoy!....:thumbs-up:

I would push for a full size RC tank! That would get the bad guy out lol

A decent Ready-to-Run (RTR) 1/10th scale rock crawler (such as an Axial SCX-10 or Deadbolt) and an FPV camera set up sound like they'd fill the bill.

Thanks for the response, similar to what I had in mind. A quick google search looked like those models are in the $300+ range. I'm guessing I know the answer to this because you almost always get what you pay for. But, in regards to remote range, battery life and durability is it worth it to buy one of these as opposed to a $100 or less crawler from walmart?

Thanks for the response, similar to what I had in mind. A quick google search looked like those models are in the $300+ range. I'm guessing I know the answer to this because you almost always get what you pay for. But, in regards to remote range, battery life and durability is it worth it to buy one of these as opposed to a $100 or less crawler from walmart?

Yes it's worth it for one big reason in my opinion replaceable parts. Every single piece can be replaced from the electronics to all the parts that make it what it is. A Walmart toy is a disposable toy something breaks or goes wrong it basically goes in the garbage.

Having a budget would be helpful to give more detailed answers. You can buy any cheap r/c and slap any camera on it. To make what you want a little more detail would help. Like flashlight mounting do you want to mount a flashlight to it? Would a bright led light bar or led bulbs work? Do you want camera movement or fixed camera be ok? Need night vision?

How big or small does it or can it be? To overcome obstacles your looking at a rock crawler the suspension will have the flexibility to get over obstacles and speed is probably not a big priority so battery life should be pretty good. A hobby grade Rock crawler will allow you to use higher capacity rechargeable batteries vs a Walmart toy being stuck basically with whatever it comes with.

Your going to use this for police work? Of course, it is worth it. Please don't send one of those walmart wannbe Rc's in a building for rescue work. Lol
Still think you need to convert a full size tank into one. :)

NEVER get a Walmart toy because that's what they are...TOYS. No support, parts or upgrades available. Very limited range and reliability.
If you want a record of what it has done or where it has been I'd highly recommend the GoPro camera but I'm guessing you most likely want a FPV setup so you can monitor it from a remote location and see what's going on in real time.
Don't expect to be climbing stairs with it.
When carrying the camera and lights you won't need the body. If you do, I'd suggest you go with an unmarked car. :cool: