My Rlaarlo AK-917 Carbon Build Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJSRCLIFE

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello everyone it's been awhile since i posted but it's been really busy these past few months. I recently bought a Rlaarlo\Amoril (On amazon) AK-917 carbon chassis roller last weekend and it came in yesterday and i got the motor mount for it today. I'll post more pics later, but for the electronics i chose to put in is an Onyx 70A\4,000KV Brushless combo and a Futaba 4pm radio system and i'm running it on 2s.
20230905_161511.jpg

I got the ESC and Motor from dad's Yokomo drift car that wasn't being used. I had some spare Futaba receivers since i replaced a few of them in my cars with radiolink.
20230906_171432.jpg

For anyone wondering what the chassis layout looks like after i got it built.
20230908_154329.jpg

Here it is, As i mentioned before it has an older Onyx (Horizon Hobby) 70A Brushless Sensorless ESC that can run up to 3s lipo it also has an Onyx 4,000KV Brushless Sensorless Motor. It also has an Amazon special 25kg metal servo and has a Futaba R304SB 4 channel 2.4Ghz receiver paired to my trusty old 4pm.

This is the setup for now, I plan to put a Hobbywing Max 10 G2 140A\3665SD G3 4,000KV Sensored combo or a Castle Creations Mamba X\1412 3,200KV combo with my RC8X paired to a R8FG V2.1 gyro receiver someday. I'm not really looking for shear speed just a nice 10th scale system that will run 2 - 3s cool and reliable.

Driving thoughts so far: After i trimmed the servo the best i could the car runs straight and true even under power without a gyro it does drift and spin out if you're not careful. I ran this car alongside my XO-1 a couple days ago this car ran straighter and had more get up and go compared to my bigger XO-1 and my previous 10th scale touring car. I had this gearing less than a stock out of the box carbon brushless model that Rlaarlo also sells it has one of my dad's 29 tooth pinions and the preinstalled 63 tooth steel spur. Hope you like this post and please comment about what i should do next with this car or any of my other vehicles.

Looking good. Since you asked, thinking next might be to sort out the handling on 2S. Do I understand the car does have a gyro option? It spins out when not on gyro, but runs true on gyro? If so, then work on getting good handling runs before upgrading.

What is the R-T-R weight? 29/63 for 2.17 gear ratio is pretty tall. What is stock? Is it 'banging' on power all at once, or is it a gradual increase in power?

Perhaps investing in a speed meter is a consideration? Hope this helps. Good luck and good speed. Cheers. 'AC'

Looking good. Since you asked, thinking next might be to sort out the handling on 2S. Do I understand the car does have a gyro option? It spins out when not on gyro, but runs true on gyro? If so, then work on getting good handling runs before upgrading.

What is the R-T-R weight? 29/63 for 2.17 gear ratio is pretty tall. What is stock? Is it 'banging' on power all at once, or is it a gradual increase in power?

Perhaps investing in a speed meter is a consideration? Hope this helps. Good luck and good speed. Cheers. 'AC'
The car doesn't have a gyro on it but i plan to put in a R8FG gyro receiver for my RC8X when i switch over to that radio someday. I don't know the RTR model's weight but i think it might be somewhere around 3 - 5lbs. And i have looked into a speed meter but i'm a little low on money right now so i might get a low cost one next month along with some other stuff and upgrade to a gnss someday.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, How's your Monday going? Today i got my Rlaarlo\Amoril AK-917 Carbon Fiber roller out for a run today last night and this morning i took the diffs out and regreased them and put it all back together. I also came up with a new name for her she'll be called Miku like Miku Hatsune the Japan Vocaloid singer i got her swapped from my Futaba radio to my RC8X and sorted out her ESC glitch issue and got her running mostly straight. Ran her on 2s today she's currently capable of 3s with the Budget Onyx\Horizon Hobby 4,000kv brushless system that's in her and ran 110 - 130 F on a mid 70 F day. Here's some pics of her.
20240415_123127.jpg

This was after the run but she ran great and after i sorted out her ESC issue i enjoyed her.
20240415_123318.jpg

Here's a body off picture of her she's still running my old 2s battery this time XT90s connectors on her ESC and Battery instead of T Deans. I mean it's time i start living like it's 2024 XT90 and EC\IC5 are the way to go with smaller and semi large RC's nowadays. She's running the R7FG receiver out of my X-Maxx since i'll be buying an R8FG for that truck soon. That's all for now hope you all enjoyed this little update on my little on road rocket.

Last edited:
Back