My MBX5T (Pics)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AC48

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey all,

Heres a few pics of my MBX5T. Its the regular version, not the prospec because I am poor. I'm running a Picco .28 with an Ofna 053 pipe, and so far its proven to be a great combo. The Picco puts out great power and really makes this truck a blast to drive. This truck is without a doubt the best handling truck I have ever driven. Only other truggy I have driven is a LSP, but this out handles that no problem. Its so stable, and is impossible to rollover. It has a slight on power push, but much less than any other nitro I've driven. Turn in is not quite as quick as my dads MP777 SP1, but thats to be expected. This was my first Mugen kit, and I am very impressed.

So heres what I'm running:

MBX5T
Picco .28
Ofna 053 pipe
JR XR3i
HS-5645MG Steering
HS-5625MG Throttle/Brake
Proline Crimefighters

The Picco did require some modification to fit, but not much. I had to file the mounts where they stick out beyond the back of the engine so that they didn't hit the pullstarter, and I had to put some shims under the mounts, but that was it. The mesh is a little rough, but its getting smoother and smoother the more I run it. Its worth it though, its crazy how fast that .28 gets this thing going. Anyway, heres the pics:

MugenMBX5T001.jpg

MugenMBX5T002.jpg

MugenMBX5T003.jpg

MugenMBX5T004.jpg

Here you can kinda see where I had to file...
MugenMBX5T005.jpg

MugenMBX5T006.jpg

What do you think?

I think that is a bad ass truck form just looking at the pics man.

Bryson

Very cool....great job n the build up...I hear you on the poor....my RC budget is nil to none right now......

I must sell some Revos to get me one of these.

You racing it?????

I wish I was racing it...only track near me is onroad oval, not exactly a good track for this truck haha. I just enjoy driving race ready rigs, like my dads MP777 SP1. I have a Revo 3.3 too for when I feel the need to get some air.

AC, what's your setup? The on-power steering on the Mugen is unreal, a push is pretty non-existant with any setup I've run. It takes a few tanks to get the difs and everything broke in but they will smooth out nice and feel like butter. you may want to notch that mud guard and lower your pipe too.

I'm running the set up in the manual. Like I said the push is very slight, much less than any other truck I've driven. I've only gotten a little more than one tank on the chassis (the Picco has a few more tanks, just started tuning it the other day)

Its only been in my yard as well...I have yet to get it on some nice packed dirt to see how it really performs. It seems the Picco has soo much torque that the front end nearly gets lifted off the ground under power. I swear the thing almost wheelied a few times, crazy low end on that Picco. I don't think this will be so bad on dirt, and it will handle better on power.

What impresses me the most is when you get this thing going pretty damn fast, you can pull the wheel and it just turns, not even close to rolling over. I'm not used to it haha my Revo would roll right away if I drove it like I have the Mugen.

The pipe is just about as low as it can go, the bottom is just about to hit the side guard. I might lower it some more at some point though.

Last edited:
That's a nice looking rig, AC. Fun as hell, aren't they? I just dropped a V-Spec in mine, but haven't had it out yet. Had to get a new throttle servo for it (yes, Jet, another one crapped out on me!) Went with a Hitec 5925, so we'll see.

Hopefully I can snap a few pictures tomorrow with that sweet new lid NCNitro painted for me. Fits like a glove and looks AWESOME!

Monkey are you stripping gears or burning them up? AC, find Scott Hughes set up and throw it on there. It's close to what's in the manual but pretty much what everyone starts with.

Yeah man. The only thing I could suggest buying is the captured (Prospec) hinge pins. You can usually find them cheap on eBay. I hate e-clips!!!

AC you need to cut a notch in the side guard to lower it......make sure the notch isn't too big, it should sort of cradle the outlet on your pipe close to the chamber.......just make the cut to fit the stinger and nothing else.....it gives your pipe more protection when it sits behind the rest of that sidewall....

DAMN only the prospec version has captured pins?!?!?!
that's a bit crappy IMO...

The Prospec has all the option parts, the standard kit has the plastic stuff and a different engine mount and ackerman, shock towers too

Plaid, I've done that before on my buggies, but the Mugen side guards are shallower than others I've had, and the pipe will not go much lower if any lower than it is. What I want to avoid is having the pipe sit on the guard, and mess up the bottom of the pipe as it will vibrate against the guard.

The captured pins are not a big deal to me, I don't see the big deal with them anyway, unless it uses the set up like Xray, which I don't think Mugen does.

Either way I'm not racing here, just having some fun with it.

The mugen does use bushings, different than Xray but similar. They do wear unlike the Xray so keep them on hand. Someone does make a set of brass one's for about $20.

Wow, I built this thing like 2 months ago, forgot that it does use bushings similar to Xray. They are only on one side, where as the Xray used them on both front and in the rear block. E-clips don't really bother me that much, so I'm not worried about it.

Now if it would just stop raining I could play around with it some more...

Well I got a few more tanks through the 5T today, and I must say, even better than last trip out. The on power push was gone, I even got oversteer on power a few times when driving on grass haha. I guess the diffs just need a little longer to really get broken in and working smoothly.

Overall I am very impressed with this truck. I've never seen a truck handle this well. Makes me wonder how good a MBX5R is haha.

I just got a chance to see this version run at my local track. To tell ya the truth..I want one. It seems to glide over the jumps with ease. It almost levels itself most of the time. I may just get this one in the future. I loved its quality as usual.

They are a lot of fun to drive, and the power of that picco continues to amaze me. Not that the Revo 3.3 is a particularly fast truck, but it seems very very slow compared to the Mugen. If I dive the Revo after I drive the Mugen I roll it over all the time. I still have not been able to get the Mugen to roll even once, its a very stable truck. I haven't jumped it yet, and I haven't done any real bashing with it yet. Not sure how good it can handle the rough stuff, its pretty wide and quite low to the ground.

Back