My home built dyno design

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeep

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well, I decided that I want to build a relatively cheap dyno, so I came up with this design and I believe I can build this for under $100.00. Granted, it will not be as accurate as the computer model(s) that are available, but it will serve excellently for tuning, and comparing different engines and will provide a close to true peak hp value. But it will be ridiculously cheaper.

Has anyone here built anything like this?

I welcome all comments and suggestions.

If the prototype works out well, I'll build them to sale. And it will be adjustable for different wheel bases. I havn't decided on what to use as a load yet, but it will have to handle at least 1300 watts at 14-15 volts DC.

Whatcha think about it??

Jeep

forgot the ground on the voltmeter, lol.

Attachments

• RC-DYNO.JPG
    RC-DYNO.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
That would be sweet! Keep on it man!

A revised pic...

Attachments

• RC-DYNO.JPG
    RC-DYNO.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 135
sorry for being a retard but what does it do? i thought i dyno made elecricity but spinning, is that what it is?

one problem with using a alternator.
An alternator doesn't have any permanent magnets.
So you would have to provide power to initially charge the field.
When the field is charged on an alternator, it requires allot of power to get it spinning. You would be better off using a DC generator from a lawn tractor or a pre 1964 car. a generator has no drag until a load is applied.

although this is waaay over my head as far as electronics go, it would be pretty cool if you could get it to work fairly well for a reasonable amount of money.

so what do these things actually do? produce electricity (i only say that as i read that there's a alternator in there and i know and alternator spins (well the things inside do) and that creates electricty for the battery). So is it the same principle?

so what do these things actually do? produce electricity (i only say that as i read that there's a alternator in there and i know and alternator spins (well the things inside do) and that creates electricty for the battery). So is it the same principle?

it tells you the power output in electical figures (i.e volts, watts). thats my best guess is to how this one would work.

sorry for being a retard but what does it do? i thought i dyno made elecricity but spinning, is that what it is?

It will generate electrical power (watts) which can easily be measured in order to determine engine horsepower as 746 watts = 1hp .

The rc vehicle's wheels spin the rollers to spin the alternator.

one problem with using a alternator.
An alternator doesn't have any permanent magnets.
So you would have to provide power to initially charge the field.
When the field is charged on an alternator, it requires allot of power to get it spinning. You would be better off using a DC generator from a lawn tractor or a pre 1964 car. a generator has no drag until a load is applied.

I thought about using a small generator, but most that are the size of an alternator have a very limited output capacity in the 30 amp range which, depending on the lost energy in the system, may be enough, but I'm sure that an alternator could handle the output needs.
Also, not all alternators require an external excitation current, there are several that are internally regulated and self exciting due to a residual magnetic field in the rotor, which is the same way a generator works.

One problem is that these types of alternators require a fair amount of rpm before they begin to self-excite. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Jeep

This looks like my science project for next year (an excuse to build one).

If it helps you in any way I remember that 1 hp is equivalent to 745.7 watts. :bling:

I know this one guy that has a maxx that goes 140mph! That maybe has to be making at LEAST 50 horspower dont ya think? Maybe that could be the spokesmodel vehicle if ya start mass producing them!!

(for the noobs, this is sarcastic)

I'm not familiar with all the electronics stuff, but I think itd be pretty kick ass! Good luck with it!

Back