My new power supply! PL6 and 1000w 24v PS

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

override

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This is more of a write up than anything but also to show off my new setup :D

I have recently gotten into brushless and started selling of nitro. The charger I had was just not cutting it and I figured I would share my experience and research into a new charger. For those looking at an affordable solution this is the way to go! iCharger 306b and 3010b were the first two chargers I was looking at but the only thing I didn't like was reports of them catching fire on people. There are not many reports but one report is already to many in my opinion :\

After more research I stumbled upon a website called Progressiverc that carries some very nice charger setups for well....more money than I wanted to spend. The power supply is really the part that ends up getting your cost up there to high. Well in effort to find a cheaper solution for a power supply I started brainstorming. I used to build gaming computers and I know that you can get power supplies that output some high ratings, so I started doing some more research. Come to find out server power supplies are perfect for making charger power supplies and whats even better is they are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!!!!

Take for example two HP DPS-600PB server power supplies on ebay go for about $25 shipped :) and the cost to convert them is (if you don't already have the supplies) cheap. You need a solder iron, 26 gauge or equivalent solid strand wire, 12 gauge wire capable of handling at least 40a, male and female banana plugs (castle 4mm work just fine) and heatshrink.

Solder three pins together with the 26 gauge wire so the units will power on, take one of the units apart and eliminate DC ground. Put it back together and then solder your 12 gauge wires up. Make a double pin jumper for connecting the two in parallel and you now have 1000w 40a capable power supplies :D

As of now this is what I have but I plan make things a little better. Going to mount it all in a pelican case for on the go charging and well of course to keep it all protected. I will update pictures of the case setup after I am done with it.

Enjoy the pictures!

What the insides look like

DSC02858.gif

Severed and took up the DC ground on all four corners top and bottom

DSC02859.gif

Soldered the wires on and pins together to power on

DSC02865.gif

The fans are really loud (24cfm/54 dba) and I imagine can be smaller, I picked up two sunson 40x40x20mm fans with a 27dba and 10 cfm. Should be significantly quiter and still cool the PS off enough.

DSC02864.gif

Spliced two power cords together

DSC02869.gif

Finished for the time being

DSC02867.gif

DSC02868.gif

The largest mah battery I have capable of 5C is a gensacearespammers 2s 5300 mah. At 5c I can push 26.5a to it :) I charged this battery from 37% to 100% in less than 10 minutes. I started the charge and my squid (small gauge) wire got very very warm and I imagine would of got hot enough to melt the wires. I stopped the charge and soldered up some 12 gauge banana plug to deans really quick (whats pictured coming off charger leads). Popped the battery back on and the only thing that got warm after that was the deans plug. I stood there and held my hands on the wires the entire charge so it was nothing to worry about on the deans.

Although anything higher than probably 30a with a deans plug might start getting to hot, I imagine thats why you see EC5 plugs on these high capacity chargers and batteries is for this reason. The harder you push your charger the better connectors and wire you need. I tried to use everything rated for 40a or higher. For anyone looking to get a setup like this just keep that in mind. :first_place:

---------- Post added at 1:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:13 PM ----------

All the talk about power supplies and I forgot to talk about the PowerLab 6....

Everything I have done with this charger is remarkable! For $184 charger you really can't beat it. You can charge multiple chemistry's, you can select what discharge rate you want for the balancing which is very nice for those fast charge days. You can set your discharge rate higher so that you still get a good balance on your cells. Capable of 5c/40a charging. 23 factory presets for every chemistry the charger will allow and the different types of charging you can do on each chemistry.

Shows the internal resistance, capacity when charge started, cell volt when charge started, real time display of what your power supply is pumping out to the charger, total mah pumped in, cell volt while charging, and several other things that I don't pay attention too. You can set what you want the end voltage to be per cell aswell which I thought was really cool. Also has regenerative discharge, which means if your charging off a battery (such as your truck) the discharge goes back into your battery rather than wasting that power.

Also its nice you can hook the power supply up to your PC and control it all from your PC, customize all your presets and get real time logs of your batteries.

Of everything I have looked at this is by far the best charger for your money, it is rated #1 in many heli/plane forums from what I have read. Also if you wanted to save a little and not do as much work on the Power supplies it will run off of one just fine. Just make sure you set your charger to draw to correct power as to not over work your PS.

Last edited:
Thats impressive looking for sure. And thats crazy charge times! congrats

Thanks slowngreen! I didn't mention the price but all in all for the Charger, power supplies, EC5 to banana plug cable, black/red 12g wire plus shipping I paid a little over $200. Thats not bad considering to get the same setup through Progressive RC with a 600w power supply is $274.99 and with the 1000w meanwell its $379.99. I am not bashing the company as they were very helpful in answering all my questions and they are actually where I got the charger from. Just trying to save where I can :)

That looks familiar! I would highly recommend the MPA parallel charging board to go along with the PL6.

318949_438459772867842_557437912_n.jpg

Thats a nice parallel board but way more than what I need right now. The most I think I will be charging parallel is possibly 4-2s lipos since I am now going to be running a dual 2s buggy. I gotta ask, what type of banana plug binding posts do you use on your PS? I have looked at several but most of them won't handle a 40a rating. You have a poop load of batteries man....lol I only have 6

I didnt build mine I bought it off a guy who builds and sells them on RCTech forums but they are 4mm banana plugs and 12AWG wire. You can pick up the smaller parallel charging board like I have hooked up to my other Charger for 10 bucks off of ebay. It can handle up to 30A. That would be good for charging your four 2S packs, assuming they are all the same mAh value.

Do you happen to know the guys username? I found some 40a banana jacks but they are all metal which wont work unless I insulate them with heatshrink. Not sure I wanna take my chances with that cause if they ever made contact I'd be dodging fireworks until I could cut the power.

Got my Pelican case in today, set everything in just to see what kind of room I have. I figured an inch on each side of the PS would give me plenty of room but it seems I may need a little more. It's going to be a tight fit for sure but in the end should come out very nice. I will get pictures up when I start getting the case setup.

Back