My first race day was fun. Didn’t place very well but…

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnFabRC

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Had a great day today at the Pit Stop Hobbies 10th annual Summer Extravaganza.

I didn’t come in last! Haha. The DR10 buggy was severely underprepared for this kind of racing but with the help of some of the more knowledgeable folks in the pits I was able to make some significant improvements. In the end I was second to last bit at least it wasn’t actually last.
IMG_2200.jpeg

The Slash however behaved quite a bit better but my beginner level off-road driving skills were the real limiter. Still though, I didn’t come in last!

IMG_2205.jpeg

My father showed up for a while and got a couple videos while I was on track.

Round 2 4wd SCT heat 1 of 2

I’ve got a lot of learning to do but at least this is something fun to learn! I’m planning to go back on a week day sometime soon so I can just turn laps without all the chaos of an actual race. I just need practice. And maybe an adjustment to my glasses prescription 😂.

The facility was great as well as the crew running the show. All the classes moved along very efficiently and everyone was happy to help this rookie get where he needed to be on time.

Can’t wait to get to the next event!

Good to hear! Have fun!
Like @bill_delong said, practice is key, learning new things, and tuning is key as well.

Today at my track, we were actually looking on liverc on different tracks. We were talking about Pit Stop too. It looks like that they went all the way down to a E Main for a 1/8 class. Pretty huge turn out then?

Today at my track, I was the only one that showed up (besides some others, but for mini z) so it was test n tune day. No racing. Did talk to the locals, get to drive their cars and test out their radios. Tested both of the owners cars. Lamont with a Futaba 10PX and with a Schumacher LD2, and James with a TLR 22X4 and a FS NB4. The feel of both radios, the speed between the radio and the car, amazing. One of the locals got the RC8X which I had been looking at that, going to see if he can bring it over one day so I can test it out.

Once you get some more practice time in, more racing time in, getting to know the track, the people, the owners, race director, locals, and the car, see how you all like it, if you are getting used to it, try out something new.

DR10 Buggy!?! Never known that was a thing, I thought the DR10 was a drag car, lol.
Pretty good to see the slash do ok for the first race. Once you tune it, see how you like it.
If your getting more into the racing side of things, I would keep the slash for bashing around and speed runs, stuff like that, and invest in a 4x4 SCT kit with your own electronics. For example, a Tekno SCT410 (.3 if you can find, if not the SL would be good). Once you build up a kit like that, you will feel a huge difference.
For reference, when my uncle used to race short course back in the day (2016 ish) He had both SCTE 1.0 and 2.0. Novak ballistic 550 4.5T motors. Hobbywing XR10 Pro / V2.1 escs, WTF fans. Man, those things were fast, for the carpet track we were running at, he had to dial it way down.
Also, at the old old track, he tested before it closed up, so he knew he is ready for the new track with new people.

Oops, sorry if I'm taking over your thread, i get side tracked alot.

Last edited:
Interesting DR10 stickers on that body. I do believe the Pro2 SC10, Trophy Rat, DB10, SR10, DR10, and RB10 platforms share basic parts. Your earlier post mentioned you had only a Slash ready to go racing with, but pictured a purple DR10 below. Did you do a swap out of parts/convert your DR10 into a RB10?

DR10 Buggy!?! Never known that was a thing, I thought the DR10 was a drag car, lol.

It is a drag car. But it’s also an RB10 rtr buggy with a longer wheelbase. I made a last minute decision to give it a makeover in an effort to get some more track time. I bought some super cheap buggy wheels and tires from Amazon for $14 (they were poop! 😂) an RB10 wing and a body for an RC8. The two biggest issues were those cheap tires and there was WAY too stiff gear oil in the diff. The tires were so bad I would have been better off with the drag slicks and the diff just compounded that. It would turn in ok but then I’d just touch the throttle and I was backwards. It took the jumps fine and was plenty fast. First change I made was to disconnect the swaybar, then I went into the shop and picked up some J Concepts Sprinters. Those two things alone made it a lot better, but the diff was still a real problem.

I’m going to be tearing both cars down in the near future to clean up and inspect. When I do that I’m going to basically leave the diff open. I was told by guys that know more about setup than me that would make the car actually drivable. Then it’s up to me to get some practice. If I can get my lap times down a bunch I’ll consider getting a proper buggy and I’ll leave that as an actual drag car.
Interesting DR10 stickers on that body. I do believe the Pro2 SC10, Trophy Rat, DB10, SR10, DR10, and RB10 platforms share basic parts. Your earlier post mentioned you had only a Slash ready to go racing with, but pictured a purple DR10 below. Did you do a swap out of parts/convert your DR10 into a RB10?
See my reply to @DavidB1126 haha. I was writing it when you commented.

The fun part is to be there. Learn what you can. $ does not matter. What matters are the good times. :rolex: 😎:thumbs-up:

Glad you had a good time out there, I talked with you a couple of times at the race. It was my first time at Pit Stop Hobbies, had a great time. Like you I struggled with one vehicle and did a lot better with my sct. Maybe I'll catch you back out there at another race.

Glad you had a good time out there, I talked with you a couple of times at the race. It was my first time at Pit Stop Hobbies, had a great time. Like you I struggled with one vehicle and did a lot better with my sct. Maybe I'll catch you back out there at another race.
You were pitted right near me right? Needed new pills for your rear toe? I’m hoping to get out there next week for some practice and maybe for the Friday night lights thing they do each week. Probably starting to tear down and clean up tonight. This experience gives me new respect for how much work goes into a race weekend for something like F1 or nascar.

Yes, I needed the pills for my truck. It’s crazy how many different ways you tune and adjust these cars. I’m definitely still learning on what to do.

Back