My Covid19/Furloughed Slash Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
All right people, as I mentioned in my "Hi Everyone" thread, I was recently furloughed from my job due to the Covid19 crap. To fill some of my time I decided I would do this rc project that I started to do a few years ago.

The back story: Here on RCT in the past we have had fund raiser/prize give-aways. In the last one I won a RTR Traxxas 2wd Slash - Pink Edition (my color choice!). I said then I had a project in mind for it and even purchased most of the parts to do it. But then dropped it after my son started wanting to do a real car project he could drive. So I switched gears and focused on that, even sold some complete rcs and parts to fund the car build. Actually, thinking about it now, I think I was already knee deep in the car project before the Slash came into my possession, but any ways, it got set aside and forgot about. Until now. So let's do a short but I think sweet project!

So to start this off,let's do some rc math. What do you get when you start with one lightly used Pink edition Traxxas slash like this.....
full

And then add a bunch of parts like this....

full

And then top it off with a new lid like this?

full

Well that equals a project of course!!! :D

As you can see in the first pic, it is a little dirty. I only ran one full battery and about 10 minutes on a second the next day before breaking it. It sucked because I was in Branson MO at the time and no spare parts, no time to work on it either. I didn't bother cleaning it when I got home either, just put it on the shelf.

Now let's get to work. First off, I have a LCG chassis kit but this much blue isn't going to work for me on this project. I think black ones are available now but I already had this one. I opted to just paint it black.

full

While the paint is drying I pulled the lid and removed the electronics. Then separated the front and rear suspensions as assembled units. Here's the broken piece I mentioned too.

full

full

Having not worked on these for a few years, I did few things out of order LOL I started the rear section. Thoroughly cleaning everything, swapping out the broken part, swapping in some nice anodized parts and reassembled the unit.

full

I originally planned to actually race this when completed and was going to put in a brushless system. But I never bought the system and now I don't know any other rc'ers in my area so this will mostly just be for looks.

Next I disassembled the front unit,thoroughly cleaned it up, swapped in more pretty parts and put it back together. And here is where I quit for the first day. I wanted to let the paint on the chassis fully dry before working it. So here is where I'll stop the post for tonight, but don't worry, I will update it with more progress in the next day or two.

full

full

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing more pics and progress too :D

Might want to check and see if the new rustler 4x4 axles will fit it. They are a bit more beefy than all previous versions. Probably just different enough to not work.

Got my 1st slash long time ago..did many mods then went with a Slice B chassis...1st thing I did was toss a aluminum steering rack with ball bearings .then a trinity set of cvds.rpm gear case.brushless..rpm rear hubs trx steering C hubs .....I have 5 now lol

Might want to check and see if the new rustler 4x4 axles will fit it. They are a bit more beefy than all previous versions. Probably just different enough to not work.

After switching to Delrin drive cups on my son's slash with a VXL system, we never had any axle issues. I think these should hold too for shelf duty :hehe:

Ok, on withe project! . The next step was to simply reassemble the front and rear sub-assemblies to the newly painted chassis. And this is what it looks like at this point.

full

Next up I had to finish assembling the tires and foams onto the wheels. Notice in the pic how much extra flash is on the front tires. I was able to simply file it off using a sharp file and going kind of at a 45 angle and following the radius of the tire.

full

Also notice how dry the tires look? They are new/open package but sure don't look it do they. I used more of my secret sauce to make them look new again. Once all of that was done I simply put them on the chassis. Oh, all 4 tires are Panther slicks. Fronts are 1/10 buggy tires, rears are 2.2s. Now with all that done, here's how she looks.

full

full

full

In case you are wondering, no I do not plan to put the bumps on the front or rear. I do have one item ordered for the rear but I don't have it yet.
Just for for giggles I cleaned and put the stock body on it.

full

Not really the look I am after. Can you see where I'm going with this? I'm not the best painter, really mostly I think because I am short on patience LOL But I do have the paint and supplies ordered for it. So for now this where I will stop. I will give you more details on the body and plan in the next update. Stay tuned!

Oh and the rear wheels have some chrome center caps that can be bolted on but I think I will just leave it as they are without them.

full

Well I still don't have all the supplies for painting the body but I do have a little update for you.

I was browsing eBay and found this wheelie bar set up. I thought it looked pretty good and would work for this project so I ordered one.
After getting it, I am not sure i would recommend it if you were actually going to use it. First off, it is a 3D printed part. Assembling the bars isn't too bad but even though it screws together into the center spacer bars, they have the holes tight and must thread through the side pieces as well. I also noticed that it is really thin around the holes and would be concerned about it if I were racing with it. It looks like it would break on a hard wheelie or especially if you were to crash and go end for end. Next was to fit it to the chassis. This presented the real problem. I was finally able to flex things enough to make it fit but their hole spacing was off by about 1 - 1.5mm and fitting it to the chassis was a real struggle. The end result looks great for my project so overall I am ok with it.

full

full

The next thing I did was to alter the stance of the vehicle. All I did was remove the spring spacers from the rear and install them on the front. This made the rear suspension pretty soft and low and the front fairly stiff and riding high. Just what I was after!

full

Lastly for tonight, I started some detail for an engine. I know everybody does this type of thing and I am not trying to copy anyone, I just like it and for what it's worth I did start and plan this project SEVERAL years ago. For my engine I am taking the parts off of a car they used to sell call "Muscle Machines". I picked this one up in a box of junk I bought at an auction. I actually bought the box just for this car LOL

full

I admit I had already taken it apart and started on it before this picture. I sat the parts in place just to show what it was like originally. After taking it apart I was lucky the blower hat polished up nice but the other parts were a bit rough. So I painted them and reassembled the pieces. Not quite like new but good enough for this project. So that's it for now. I know I said last time I would let you know the body/paint plans but it will have to wait for the next update. Sorry!

full

full

Hey guys! As usual for me I keep too many different projects going so they get shuffled around and they all take longer than they should. I dropped the ball on this one and went back to doing some work on my Mustang drag car. Finally, today I started working on the body and as promised I am going to update you all to what it is, progress made and the planned paint scheme.

So we'll start with what the body is and the plan for it. Some of you can tell from the pic in the project intro post above that this is the Parma Fifty-Five, a pretty good looking 1955 Chevy based body. Now I am an old guy and as soon as I saw it I thought of this project and ordered one that has been stored away for years now. Being a drag race fan for one and a model car builder growing up there is one 55 Chevy that I always think of when I see a 55. It's a yellow and black gasser called "BadMan". Here's a pic of a built model of this cool car.

full

I unfortunately don't know the story on what this car's driver did or how it became chosen to made into a model car but it was super popular and famous back then'. All of the major model makers had one of these. This was my original plan to build when I bought the body. I even bought the black, yellow and red paint for it. But it got set aside and a couple of years later I won this Pink Edition Slash here when we were still RCNitoTalk.com. When I won the Slash I immediately bought up all of the anodized parts, tires and wheels used on this project. Then it got set aside again.

Now here we are and I have all those pink parts so the yellow/black doesn't work so well with them. This car is still the inspiration but the plan however is an altered paint color scheme and a name change. I am going with fluorescent pink main color, the black will still be black and the name will be sky-blue. Of course the name will be "BadGirl"

Now you know the plan so let's get to the progress for today. First I cut/trimmed the main outline of body. It's all rough cut but before paint I will use my Dremel to smooth up the lines. Then I was able to easily mark the body post locations. I used a post hole reamer to size the holes and fit the body to the chassis. The body like the model pictured wasn't designed with a front bumper but I cut and left material to add one. After looking at it mounted I have decided I will go back and remove it. I am undecided but thinking I will have the spoiler on the front as shown on the model. The last part of the cutting/trimming was to make a hole in the hood for the supercharger. I didn't want to just cut a big square, instead I did a lot of trial cut and fitting to get it to just clear where it needed to be cleared. I still have to figure out how to mount the supercharger in place but I got the look and fit I was after.

Below are pics of the body fit to the chassis. Let me know what you all think of my paint ideas. Unless someone comes up with something to change my mind, the next update will be some paint laid on the body. I am not the best painter but I plan to be very cautious and try to make fairly clean a neat paint job. Be sure to come back for the finished project, hopefully it won't be too much longer.

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
Got 007Chris's Slash to build from a pile of parts. A "Slagster" 1991 Mustang Fox body. Won't be quite as cool as yours.

Any build is that's fun for you is a cool build in my opinion. Be sure to start a thread and show us what you have and what you do to it. :thumbs-up:

That looks great Randy, you need to fabricate some headers to show in the wheel wells

That's a great idea and I have been trying find or figure out a way to do it.

Gonna' be a beauty. You've got to radius the rear wheel wells but I guess you know that. Where did you get the slicks?

No radius, the tires actually do not touch the body. The tires are Panther for clay tracks.

OK, so have 2 more HPE (Heisenburg Performance Enhanced) Rustlers to build, then the "Slagster". The slag has all aluminum stuff, except like control arms, aluminum trans case, side winder castle 4600KV, Hoosier drag slicks, just looks like so much fun to build, and it's all in my work shop, looks great even in pieces. The thing is, everyone racing my Stadium Circuit just wants to do the NASCAR like races, no one has any interest in quarter miling, even the kid I am building the slagster for. So the circle track racers have priority. I will take pix of everything, make a hell of a scrap book.
I do have to post all the HPE Rustlers in one thread. I just have to have a little chat with our fearless leaders before I start posting again. Brave and fearless.

It's just not the BADMAN without the radius. Get with the program and do it right. :rolex:

You're right it's not the BADMAN without the radius. In fact it's not going to be the BADMAN anyway, if read my post it clearly says this is going to be the BADGIRL. Since nobody has seen the BADGIRL, nobody knows is the radius exists or not. :p :banana:

It's just not the BADMAN without the radius. Get with the program and do it right. :rolex:

You're right it's not the BADMAN without the radius. In fact it's not going to be the BADMAN anyway, if read my post it clearly says this is going to be the BADGIRL. Since nobody has seen the BADGIRL, nobody knows is the radius exists or not. :p :banana:
I hate when friends fight. My ADD acts up sometimes too.

Back