My Covid19/Furloughed Slash Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am guessing some of you are wondering if I am ever going to finish this project. Well, yes. I promise it will get finished sooner or later. For right now though, I was called back to work a couple of weeks ago and time has been short for hobbies. What time I have had I have spent on my Mustang race car. I want to have it back to running by October for the local all Ford event. But, not just running but with an added supercharger on top which isn't easy on a sbf engine and on a budget. The darn distributor in front causes all kinds of issues with the drive snout on the supercharger. I haven't found anyone that offers a low profile distributor and I don't want a taller intake that makes the sc sit too high. I am either going to machine my own distributor of I have to invest in a distributor-less ignition.
Any how, I will get the body painted eventually and will post pics when I do.

Hey guys! As usual for me I keep too many different projects going so they get shuffled around and they all take longer than they should. I dropped the ball on this one and went back to doing some work on my Mustang drag car. Finally, today I started working on the body and as promised I am going to update you all to what it is, progress made and the planned paint scheme.

So we'll start with what the body is and the plan for it. Some of you can tell from the pic in the project intro post above that this is the Parma Fifty-Five, a pretty good looking 1955 Chevy based body. Now I am an old guy and as soon as I saw it I thought of this project and ordered one that has been stored away for years now. Being a drag race fan for one and a model car builder growing up there is one 55 Chevy that I always think of when I see a 55. It's a yellow and black gasser called "BadMan". Here's a pic of a built model of this cool car.

full

I unfortunately don't know the story on what this car's driver did or how it became chosen to made into a model car but it was super popular and famous back then'. All of the major model makers had one of these. This was my original plan to build when I bought the body. I even bought the black, yellow and red paint for it. But it got set aside and a couple of years later I won this Pink Edition Slash here when we were still RCNitoTalk.com. When I won the Slash I immediately bought up all of the anodized parts, tires and wheels used on this project. Then it got set aside again.
This was never a real drag car. It was built by a custom model designer named Tom Daniel, who also designed cars like the Paddy Wagon, Pie Wagon and Beer Wagon. It was his design based on the 55 in Two lane Blacktop. I have at least 2 of every model he designed, and have met and talked with him at a couple different events. The pics i attached, the Bandit is the car Tom Daniel owned but never raced, and the grey car is a still from Two Lane Blacktop. I grew up in Southern california in the seventies and eighties, and i was and in some ways still am, always more into models than R/C stuff. I just wish they still did the big model shows like they used to.

Attachments

• 55ChevyGasser_02_1000.jpg
    55ChevyGasser_02_1000.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 73
  • thenewyorker_two-lane-blacktop.jpg
    thenewyorker_two-lane-blacktop.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 76
I'm familiar with the Tom Daniels models. I have had many of them years ago. It's not too surprising to me the model scene faded. I look at the models when I am in the hobby stores, most are all the same ones I built many years ago and not a lot of kids like the "old school" cars. And they're $30 a pop!
I always liked the huge 1/8 scale kits. I still have my '32 roadster and a 66 Corvette.

I'm familiar with the Tom Daniels models. I have had many of them years ago. It's not too surprising to me the model scene faded. I look at the models when I am in the hobby stores, most are all the same ones I built many years ago and not a lot of kids like the "old school" cars. And they're $30 a pop!
I always liked the huge 1/8 scale kits. I still have my '32 roadster and a 66 Corvette.
I have every model i have ever built. At current count, it is right around 600. Most are stuck in boxes due to space limitations though. A lot of the models on the shelves today are just the same stuff over and over, but if you know where to look, you can find almost anything you are looking for. Tamiya, Revell and Monogram have huge model lines, but most anymore can only be found through online shops. I do agree that prices have gotten a bit ridiculous. I can remember when they were $12 for the 3-in-1 kits, and now some of them are $40 plus. Semi-trucks are even worse. Some of the new stuff easily tops $300.

Well...... I suppose after 2 years it's time for an update. MY main hobby is my Mustang race car but it is off to the performance shop for a dyno tune so it's gone for a while. Also my son and buddy for everything moved out a left me so now I have plenty of time to kill. I figured I would get back on this project.

That looks great Randy, you need to fabricate some headers to show in the wheel wells
I loved this idea so that's what I started on today. I had these materials on hand but found out it was a bit short

rc-headers1.JPG

After a some measuring, some bending and just winging it and a couple of hours or so here's where I ended up for today. I think I may try to find a slightly bigger collector tube but I managed to get one side close to done. I'm a cheapskate and work in a machine shop so I will probably wait until Monday to get some more material. Hopefully tomorrow I will start masking and get the first coat of paint sprayed. I will update as I get more done just don't anybody hold their breath 😜

rc-headers2.JPG

rc-headers3.JPG

I have a 1:1 scale IROC Z with a exhaust damper. When opened, it sounds like the engine sound used in two lane blacktop when accelerating through 2nd gear. It even has that booming low hitting bass sound like the movie, especially flying through the Sumner tunnel, and watching the ceiling shingles fall off behind me.

Well, we don't use a lot of 1/4" aluminum bar at work so it took some scrounging but I managed to find some. I couldn"t find what I wanted for the colectors so I machined up a couple of them at work this week. I thought I had a pic of them but sorry guys, I guess I didn't. Saturday afternoon I welded the first header together. My aluminum skills are very rusty and combined with not wearing my glasses to watch closely, I managed to screw up one of the collectors. I had it welded on but trying to touch it up for better aesthetics I overheated it and it fell to the floor destroying it. Kind of tough mating thick tubes to a super thin tube but here it the welded unit.

rc-headers4.JPG

Also I decided I did not like one of the tubes so I re-bent and re-routed it making IMO a better looking header. I didn;t pay close enough attention and the new routing now blocks where the body mount fit through to shock tower. But I want to move the headers outward some anyway so I will figure out exactly where and how to mount the header later. The other piece is what's left of the first collector :eek:

Today i spent some time and bent up the second header for the opposing side. I think I am perfectly happy with it the first time on this one. I think I figured out how I want to do the mounting but this where I stopped for today. The Harley was calling me to ride so took it out for a while. :D

Here the results of todays work. I will make another collector sometime this week and then I'll see how the welding goes again. Stay tuned, there will be more to come soon.

rc-headers6.JPG

rc-headers7.JPG

Back