My Associated MGT collection

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered some of those hexes too, gonna try seeing if I can make em work! Truck looks nice!
Thank you. Yeah it’s a pain in the ass. I sanded them down by hand. But they fit good now.if your using stock knuckles they don’t need any work

Yeah I was kinda gonna offer him 200-250 for the truck. It’s got some useable pieces on it. I’d never pay 500 for it. I’m cheap too. Lol

The owner didn't know if it was Hardcore or not?

It does resemble HC designs ,If it is HC ,then you better snatch it up if you can!

This is a HC shock tower ,you can see the design ,it does resemble the chassy!

I didn’t talk to the owner. I spoke with the shop worker. They were going to see if he wanted to sell it. It was there because the motor is no good. But they said he might not want to fix it.

Today’s project. 8.0 engine bearings and crank

Attachments

• 43AD36B7-70C2-40CD-9108-B1838AA76692.jpeg
    43AD36B7-70C2-40CD-9108-B1838AA76692.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 152
Good luck on that 8.0 ,I had nothing but bad luck with those ,I blew two of them up back to back!...
I had this one over 10 yrs. still runs good. Just leaks oil from the front bearing. So I figured I’ll change it. I have a brand new con rod and piston and sleeve for backup.

I had this one over 10 yrs. still runs good. Just leaks oil from the front bearing. So I figured I’ll change it. I have a brand new con rod and piston and sleeve for backup.

Well some people do have better luck with them ,an had good results ,I just stopped messing with them an just started
using the Hpi. 5.9 's .I have two of those engines an also an extra sleeve/piston as well .I also had those for about 10 years ,
however ,the one 5.9 engine ,I don't use ,an never had to open up the new piston!

I just wanted a little bit bigger engine ,for the weight of the truck ,I have a brand new Hpi. 25 for another Mgt. that have ,
I still have to break that engine in!

Here is a pic of the Hpi. 25 engine!

Well some people do have better luck with them ,an had good results ,I just stopped messing with them an just started
using the Hpi. 5.9 's .I have two of those engines an also an extra sleeve/piston as well .I also had those for about 10 years ,
however ,the one 5.9 engine ,I don't use ,an never had to open up the new piston!

I just wanted a little bit bigger engine ,for the weight of the truck ,I have a brand new Hpi. 25 for another Mgt. that have ,
I still have to break that engine in!

Here is a pic of the Hpi. 25 engine!

Nice truck! How is it with the 5.9 engine? I would ax the 8.0’s if I could find something else to put in there.

Nice truck! How is it with the 5.9 engine? I would ax the 8.0’s if I could find something else to put in there.

Well ,to turn back some years ,when I bought my 4.6 Mgt. brand new ,I wore out the 28 engine ,LOL....
I ran it every day non stop!
Then I seen the 8.0 versions ,an I wanted bigger power ,but all I got ,was a bigger headache ,it wasn't really
the engines fault ,it was mine ,not knowing about the Mix meter setting as I didn't even know that it existed ,I
am old school guy ,an just stepped back into the RC world after a long time.

Well ,I flooded the engine an threw it into a hydraulic lock with a high power drill start an shattered the engine ,the second
one that I bought ,the muffler fell off ,an I continued to run it ,an the engine burned up with out fuel tank pressure ,it
leaned out an fried the engine ,that's why I urge people all the time to always keep the fuel tank clean ,an keep the pressure
from the muffler to the tank in check .an also ,never try to run an engine with out the muffler on!

as far as the Hpi. 5.9 or 36 size engine ,its a descent engine ,reliable an strong ,also ,gets good fuel mileage!
I am very pleased & happy with the 5.9 in my basher Mgt. for the weight of it is ,due to some of the aluminum parts ,
I also run aluminum wheels on it ,but I also had a steel rolecage on it at one time!

The 8.0 is a fuel hog!.....:cool:

Well ,to turn back some years ,when I bought my 4.6 Mgt. brand new ,I wore out the 28 engine ,LOL....
I ran it every day non stop!
Then I seen the 8.0 versions ,an I wanted bigger power ,but all I got ,was a bigger headache ,it wasn't really
the engines fault ,it was mine ,not knowing about the Mix meter setting as I didn't even know that it existed ,I
am old school guy ,an just stepped back into the RC world after a long time.

Well ,I flooded the engine an threw it into a hydraulic lock with a high power drill start an shattered the engine ,the second
one that I bought ,the muffler fell off ,an I continued to run it ,an the engine burned up with out fuel tank pressure ,it
leaned out an fried the engine ,that's why I urge people all the time to always keep the fuel tank clean ,an keep the pressure
from the muffler to the tank in check .an also ,never try to run an engine with out the muffler on!

as far as the Hpi. 5.9 or 36 size engine ,its a descent engine ,reliable an strong ,also ,gets good fuel mileage!
I am very pleased & happy with the 5.9 in my basher Mgt. for the weight of it is ,due to some of the aluminum parts ,
I also run aluminum wheels on it ,but I also had a steel rolecage on it at one time!

The 8.0 is a fuel hog!.....:cool:
They def are fuel hogs. Both of mine run good. But I would def switch them out for a rear exhaust motor

They def are fuel hogs. Both of mine run good. But I would def switch them out for a rear exhaust motor

But ,it doesn't hurt to have at least one 8.0 in your arsenal!.....LOL
I do have a shelf queen with a 28 Axial ,which is roughly the same as an Hpi engine!

If you have many MGT.;s ,then it doesn't hurt to have different size engines right!....:thumbs-up:

Have wanted to find a ae 4.6 to throw in mine, seems people think they are solid gold for how much they want for them. The hpi .25 definitely runs good in them, even with an almost worn out sleeve/piston. So far super happy with the axial .28 spec 2s and the factory AE .21engines in my trucks. That .21 just sips the fuel it really nice!

Also, I do have the factory hub carriers for the rival hubs, just need some 17mm hex wheels lol

But ,it doesn't hurt to have at least one 8.0 in your arsenal!.....LOL
I do have a shelf queen with a 28 Axial ,which is roughly the same as an Hpi engine!

If you have many MGT.;s ,then it doesn't hurt to have different size engines right!....:thumbs-up:
absolutely!! I have many too. lol

Have wanted to find a ae 4.6 to throw in mine, seems people think they are solid gold for how much they want for them. The hpi .25 definitely runs good in them, even with an almost worn out sleeve/piston. So far super happy with the axial .28 spec 2s and the factory AE .21engines in my trucks. That .21 just sips the fuel it really nice!

Also, I do have the factory hub carriers for the rival hubs, just need some 17mm hex wheels lol
i wanna finish up the with the upgrades on my 8.0"s then i have to get going on my 21 mgt. i can't wait to run that one. i never had one with the 21.

I had ran a size 21 once in one of my MGT's ,but it wasn't an AE 21 pro ,it was a Ofna hyper 21 ,the truck was bone stock
with out no added weight ,the 21 seem to push the truck pretty good ,wasn't too fast ,but it was fun!

I had put the engine in it for temporary to run with my B-law for the day while I waited for my new Hpi 5.9
to come in the mail!
I have a vid of it in action ,but I have to find it ,none of my vids are organized!