MTA4 spur gear problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouchie

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys ! Okay my thunder tiger mta4 s28 thought it would eat its spur gear plus melt the friction pegs too !

I've gone over the hole of the truck and every think seems fine apart from what I've said !

The manual says to do the nut up for the spur gear as tight as possible an then to 1/4 turn back !

Now I guess that's say 12 o'clock back to 9 o'clock but is there any way of getting the spur gear to lock though the gear box so I can get it dead on or is it a case of just try to hold onto the gear an do your best ?

Cheers guys !

I go with the hold the transmission in hand binding the spur with any available fingers, yes your own fingers, then just back the nut off as much as the manual suggests.

The spring may have lost some stiffness over time, I'd just run it a little tighter or get a replacement spring. Tighten it down and loosen it just enough to make it where you have to really "make" it slip. I'd also scuff the slipper plates up a little before you install them, this gives it a little more "bite".

Definitely scuff the steel slipper plates, also use all 12 holes in the spur & fill them up with friction pegs, also keep extra nylock nuts & springs on hand.

Melting the slipper's friction pegs is a sure sign of excessive slippage.

At the first sign of more slippage then you want and/or the nylock nut backing off I replace the nut.

Definitely scuff the steel slipper plates, also use all 12 holes in the spur & fill them up with friction pegs, also keep extra nylock nuts & springs on hand.

Melting the slipper's friction pegs is a sure sign of excessive slippage.

At the first sign of more slippage then you want and/or the nylock nut backing off I replace the nut.

With the friction pegs melting , could the nut of been to tight to cause them to melt ?

The truck it's self has only had 3 litres of fuel ran though it , is there a chance that it could just be how much life the pegs have in them ?

When the slipper is adjusted properly, the pegs will normally last for many gallons. The adjustment nut probably loosend up, when it does the pegs do not last long.

Friction pegs are a piss poor design. Old Tmaxx and MGT design. I have an EK4. No tranny so I upgraded the slipper to a true center diff out of Losi 8t.

Back