how tight are you guys setting your spur gear?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
hi guys i got a savage x and i know theres tons of posts about this already but i wanted to get your guys input in 2021, so how tight are u setting the spur gear. i think hpi says tight and then 1/2 back off and then i know some people say as tight as it can go (just dont give throttle when landing a jump)

i think i just set it to as tight as it can go and 1/4 turn loosened so its still pretty tight

whats the consensus? if it makes a difference ill be driving in grass from now on and i dont want it to wheelie if possible

thx!

i would start by what the manual says, should give you a good starting point, then tune it from there, or at least that has been my experience with most factory settings. in your case i would probably loosen it to 1/2 turn back off as in manual, will reduce the amount of wheels and allow more give to the trans being you are in a really high bite situation. alot of it is trial and error to find the perfect setting for what you need/want.
i would not go full tighten on it because the added stress to the other parts, if the spur gear needs to give, its going to give. more desirable to have the slipper clutch slip then strip the spur gear or break other drivetrain components.

Hes right. never fully tighten your slipper. The manuals setting is going to be pretty close to ideal (assuming you havent heavily modded anything in your driveline) and just tweak it from there