Savage .25 gear problem.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadfoot567

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Please help anyone. I own a Savage .25 RTR. I've upgraded the engine to a XTM .457. Ever since I've did this. I keep stripping spur & clutch bell gears. I've even upgraded to steel Robinson Racing spur & clutch gears. That fixed the problem for a little bit longer than the stock gears. But here I am again. Same darn problem. I'm running a 16T clutch bell and a 48T spur gear. The slipper nut is cranked almost all the way down.(backed out 1/2 a turn) The engine mount screws are tight and I've even put loctite on the screws. Gear mesh was perfect. It was doing fine on the payment. But as soon as I started bouncing around on the grass. That's when it happened. I've owned other nitro monster trucks. I've been doing R/C's since the late 1980's. But this one is giving me a headache.

If everything is good you shouldn't have a problem even with the 427 on it. I run a STS .28 on mine but I don't remember the gearing. I think it's 48 spur and it is a steel RR part. I tighten my spur solid then back off 1/8 turn.

Are you using a hardened clutch bell with the steel spur? That is a must. The other big issue on the .25 version of the Savage is the engine plate. They do tend to crack then while running will flex and cause the spur stripping issue. That's the first 2 things I would check.

If everything is good you shouldn't have a problem even with the 427 on it. I run a STS .28 on mine but I don't remember the gearing. I think it's 48 spur and it is a steel RR part. I tighten my spur solid then back off 1/8 turn.

Are you using a hardened clutch bell with the steel spur? That is a must. The other big issue on the .25 version of the Savage is the engine plate. They do tend to crack then while running will flex and cause the spur stripping issue. That's the first 2 things I would check.
Yup, both the clutch bell & spur gear are hardened steel. I'm still using the stock cast aluminum engine mount. HPI part#86060. It's not cracked. Is it possible that it's still flexing even though it's not cracked?

Back