moves on it own

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superlarrson

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
One more question tonight guys

alright again guys looking for as much info as poss my son has a rex x and as i said in last post it was little spring round the clutch shoes that snapped anyway i was wondering if there was anything else that could go round them and was wondering reason for the spring very flimsy and can better parts be bought for these cars so theye dont break as easy cheers again guys

Just Replace it!

Hi it's safer if you just replace it they aren't too expensive. :yes:

cheers for replies i ended up sorting the spring temp so we can get it running c if it needs anything else just 1 thing how tight is the spring to be round the shoes or is it just to hold em in place cheers again

alright again guys you all will be getting sick of me lol anyways i have been on started cpl posts now i got the clutch shoes sorted well i think i have the car just wants to go on its own now wheels moving without the remote any ideas thanks

the only thing i can think off is the throttle servo .
try adjusting the trim on the transmitter.
I'm guessing you start the buggy and it go's flying off?

Turn the trim down on your Tx for the throttle, and readjust your clutch, it's probably too tight.

karl m when u say clutch to tight have i prob put spring round to tight considering it snapped i stretched it a bit

If you used the original spring, and stretched it, then it's too loose, allowing the shoes to sling out immediately.

Adjust the Idle

Put the throttle trim right down on the transmitter then if it still creeps forward try adjusting your idle screw.

considering it snapped i stretched it a bit

Since this problem started with a snapped clutch spring, there is no reason to try to solve it by retuning the engine.
Your spring is your problem. Open the clutch and correct it by installing a new spring. Since the shoes are making contact as soon as it's running, the spring is too loose.
If the spring has overheated and turned blue in places, it has lost its' tensile strength. You need to replace it or get another clutch assembly.

how tight is the spring to be round the shoes or is it just to hold em in place cheers again

I merged your 2 threads since they relate to the same problem. To answer your above question, the tension on the spring determines when, and at what RPM the clutch shoes are able to engage. A stiff, tight spring will need a high RPM before the shoes can engage through centrifugal force.
A very week or worn out spring, like the one you are dealing with, will not hold the shoes back, and as soon as the flywheel starts turning, they will be rubbing the CB. That, in turn, will heat the spring up even more, just making the problem worse.

Last edited:
ty very much rolex some great info there as I'm a total newbie and my wee boy starting to look at me dissapointed now lol not had much luck with this car cheers guys for all your help

We were all newbies at one time, and there were always good members here to help us out. You ask, we help.
Get a new spring or a new clutch set up and put a smile on the wee lad.

Back