Motor or brushless ESC with RPM feedback

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganker

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I'm interested in converting an RC truck to a robot and I want odometry information. I am wondering if any available brushless ESC provide RPM information or any existing 550 motors have encoders stock? Any info would be nice.

I currently have a redcat volcano EPX and I am looking into adding HALL sensor to the spur gear via magnets but I would like something higher resolution if possible.

Hi, I'm interested in converting an RC truck to a robot and I want odometry information. I am wondering if any available brushless ESC provide RPM information or any existing 550 motors have encoders stock? Any info would be nice.

I currently have a redcat volcano EPX and I am looking into adding HALL sensor to the spur gear via magnets but I would like something higher resolution if possible.
I dont know why you would want all that on a Redcat Volcano, but, multiple companies make systems that do what you are looking for. Traxxas has a system (Traxxas link, and Traxxas Telemetry) that does RPM, temp, speed, and a bunch of other parameters, and can even be set up to link to your phone via bluetooth: https://traxxas.com/products/parts/accessories/6501traxxaslinkapplication https://traxxas.com/products/parts/telemetry/6551X

Futaba, FlySky, Spektrum, HobbyWing, RadioLink and several others all make different telemetry systems.

I dont know why you would want all that on a Redcat Volcano, but, multiple companies make systems that do what you are looking for. Traxxas has a system (Traxxas link, and Traxxas Telemetry) that does RPM, temp, speed, and a bunch of other parameters, and can even be set up to link to your phone via bluetooth: https://traxxas.com/products/parts/accessories/6501traxxaslinkapplication https://traxxas.com/products/parts/telemetry/6551X

Futaba, FlySky, Spektrum, HobbyWing, RadioLink and several others all make different telemetry systems.
I'm actually mounting a computer to it so I would like to be able to access the data via a microcontroller vs ESC. I can't really find any information as none of this is well documented. Brushless ESC should in theory be able to give speed information since brushless motors have to be able to sense the position of the coils to run but again, I haven't found any ESC which actually provides the information.

Sensored motors give feedback on their position. I think that's as high res as you're gonna get, but don't know how you're going to read and intetpret that info.

Sensored motors give feedback on their position. I think that's as high res as you're gonna get, but don't know how you're going to read and intetpret that info.
Thats what systems like Traxxas telemetry does. It reads motor RPM, as well as other parameters, but, only if you have all of the corresponding parts, and a sensored motor, and, with a bluetooth link module, you can read it in real time from a smartphone. I dont have the Traxxas system, but, a friend of mine does, and, i have the FlySky IT4 that has telemetry, and it reads speed, motor RPM, temperature, and i can't remember what all else, since i havent used it in awhile, but, the IT4 displays it right on the radio itself. It can get very expensive buying all the needed parts for a telemetry system though. For example, for the Traxxas system, just to read motor RPM, you need the telemetry magnet (Traxxas part #6534), the RPM sensor (Traxxas part #6520), TQi Radio, Traxxas link module (Traxxas part #6511), the Traxxas link app, and a smart phone. To read RPM, temperature, voltage, location and speed, you need the complete Traxxas telemetry setup, and, with the GPS module, telemetry expander, and all the other needed parts, can easily cost over $300. Spektrum does it through the TM-1000 system, but, i have no experience with that one. I also know the FlySky Noble can do the same thing, and, there are many others that will as well. Do a google search for RC car telemetry, and you will find a bunch of info on it.

To answer your original post, there's also hobby-sized motors with encoders for under $20.

This would have the advantage of offering you absolute position control and not just an RPM figure, which is often useful in robotics

That's nice, though the voltage it beyond what would normally be run in a car? Do you think the more mount would fit?

Here's a 6-volt version and a 12-volt version, the latter of which would be most appropriate for 2-3S lipo use.

It should fit a standard 540-size motor mount, (that's what it really is, just with an encoder slapped on the back,) though for some cars you might need to remove that metal "sheild"