Motor heats up so fast then shuts down???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbnjzb

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So, I can't figure out why, but my motor heats up so fast! I'm running a Turnigy Trackstar 2560kv which is rated for 4s. I have a 150amp esc. Once it gets to 180ish (about 2 mins of driving) it seems to shutdown like my batteries are dead because it slows down. Tried 3 sets of batts. I have the stock spur in and I've tried a 15t and a 20t spur with same results. If I let it cool it'll run again for a few mins. Very annoying! Any ideas of what I can do to stop this? I ran this motor in my savage x conversion on 4s and it never got this hot, and that thing moved! I appreciate any ideas. Thanks in advance. Dave.

So it worked fine on a savage? Correct? I'm guessing it's way over-geared on a buggy since they don't really have a transmission.

So it worked fine on a savage? Correct? I'm guessing it's way over-geared on a buggy since they don't really have a transmission.

Yeah worked fine on savage! Hmmm. Thats true! That sounds like its the reason but I don't know which direction to go. Up in size down in size...spur or pinion. thanks.

You need to get a smaller pinion, it will put less strain on the motor and reduce your temps.

Yeah you probably have to go quite a bit smaller on the pinion and a bit larger with the spur too.

Ok, so input an 11t pinion in and same problem! Idk what to do now, I'm stuck. Thanks for any feedback!

Settin your mesh too tight possibly? Any binding in the drivetrain?

is it the esc thats hot. or the motor.
could be mesh, binding, where your driving, or how your driving.

One possibility is you have bad bearings somewhere in yoru drivetrain that is causing alot of friction and making the motor have to work to hard to move it. I would inspect the drivetrain from front to back.

The stock gearing on an hpi vorza, for example, is 15/48, that's a 3.2:1 ratio. I would go even lower than that with a 2650kv motor, something like 3.5:1. Of course the vorza has different diffs, but the ratio on their diffs should be somewhat close to any other buggy.

What esc and batteries are you running?

One possibility is you have bad bearings somewhere in yoru drivetrain that is causing alot of friction and making the motor have to work to hard to move it. I would inspect the drivetrain from front to back.

Thanks. There's no real binding when I spin the wheels. They spin freely.

The stock gearing on an hpi vorza, for example, is 15/48, that's a 3.2:1 ratio. I would go even lower than that with a 2650kv motor, something like 3.5:1. Of course the vorza has different diffs, but the ratio on their diffs should be somewhat close to any other buggy.

What esc and batteries are you running?

I have an Hobbyking 150 amp esc and a few batteries. One is a gensacearespammers 4s 5000mah 40c. The others are in series 2 2s batts. Thanks.

Just realized its fine on 3s! But I run 2s' in series and have a couple of 4s batts so therefore that doesn't help me. Could it be the cheap motor and esc?? Idk

Back