Motor/ESC advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinehyperlite

Original RCNT Nutswinger
Supporter
Police
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just got off the phone with my LHS and they are selling the Rooster Crawler ESC and 55t motor for $109.99, good or bad? I know nothing about these things and am just getting started in it.

Well up here in Canada the Rooster Crawler is 119.99 by itself . Then the 55t is another 34.99 so I think its a good deal.

that isnt a bad deal, but its nothing spectacular, i have been doing a lot of research, i have found you can get that combo at a lot of online stores for the same price...so at your lhs that isnt a bad deal since they are a higher price normally...

Well, they take care of me. They have helped me out on many purchases.
What about the setup, is it a decent one?

its a really good setup...from what i have heard it is among the best...there has been a few problems with some of them glitching, but not all of them have it, i do believe it is some of the older ones, i think they repaired them and work fine now...some of the problem was also with how you mounted the elextronics...but overal if i had the money i would probably go with it...

For about the same price you can go with the novak goat brushless ESC, and it will run brushed or brushless motors.

but this is the motor and ESC together for 109

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't read that correctly. That's a great deal, if you're planning to stick with brushed. I know a lot of guys like that setup a lot. You could also go with the Castle sidewinder ESC or the Castle mamba 25 ESC and use the same motor, and then go brushless later if you wanted. But if you're not planning to go brushless, it seems like a good deal. The Novak Goat brushless system is bad though, and you could catch a good used one for around $140, and brand new for $180

I dont really have too much to crawl on yet, so I'm just gona stick with brushed for the time being. We shall see if i can ever find somewhere to crawl alot, ill go all out on this thing, but not yet.

hey charles, is that chassis on your crawler the stock one?

You can get a sidewinder esc and a integy 55t for under $100..
But you'll want a BEC with the sidewinder.
Sidewinder around $70
Castle Creations BEC $20-30
New 55t integy lathe -$20-$30
Used 55t Integy lathe -$10-20

about a $110 - 150 and it'd be a better set up than the rooster combo.
You can run w/out the BEC but your better off with it.. and the sidewinder can do brushless if you ever go that route.
those are generally shipped prices.

But you also can't go wrong with the set up you discribed either.
I think the newer roosters have less bec rating than the older ones. Might want to check that out. cause you might be having to buy a bec in the end anyway.

If I remember correctly the newer roosters have a 3amp bec rating and the older ones had a 5amp bec rating...

Last edited:
I'm running the stock chassis with 30 degree bent links, and I'm also running the lower center of gravity axle mounted battery and servo plate, and some stuff like that. However, I have a brand new Black Jack chassis that I just bought and I'll be running that soon.

I dont really have too much to crawl on yet, so I'm just gona stick with brushed for the time being. We shall see if i can ever find somewhere to crawl alot, ill go all out on this thing, but not yet.

There is a guy around Gonzales that does a lot of crawling, I'll send you a pm tomorrow letting you know how to contact him.

I think you would be very happy with that Novak combo.