More on our local shooting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
Petaluma suspect shot 27 times
5 officers fired total of 42 rounds in 2 volleys at child molest suspect who pointed loaded gun at police

Saturday, October 8, 2005

By DEREK J. MOORE
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

A suspected child molester killed by Petaluma police last weekend was shot 27 times after he pointed a loaded handgun at officers, authorities said Friday.

Five officers fired 42 rounds, striking 72-year-old James Anthony Decosta over much of his body, including his head, neck and chest.

Petaluma Police Chief Steve Hood said the officers risked their own lives while standing down an armed fugitive.

He said the 42 shots were necessary to stop Decosta, who had led officers on a brief car chase last Saturday before pulling over in an industrial park.

Hood said officers began firing on Decosta when the ex-Marine got out of a car and pointed a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun at them.

When Decosta lowered the gun, Hood said, the officers stopped firing and shouted for him not to raise it again. Decosta ignored the order, raising the weapon a second time, prompting more gunfire from the officers, Hood said.

Hood said he doesn't know if Decosta was struck by the initial volley. Decosta's gun, which contained three rounds, apparently jammed, but police said it's not known if he tried to fire or if it was misloaded or damaged when he fell.

"Clearly, it took that many shots to end the threat," Hood said. "The restraint officers showed after the first series of shots put them at risk. Had it not been for the malfunction, we could have easily had an officer shot, which I believe was his (Decosta's) intent."

The shooting is being investigated by Santa Rosa police and the Sonoma County district attorney per a protocol governing officer-involved shootings.

"From all the information I've received from investigating agencies . .. it appears that our officers acted in an appropriate manner and consistent with their training," Hood said.

Petaluma police went into greater detail about the shooting Friday in response to information released by the Sonoma County coroner revealing that Decosta was shot 27 times.

An autopsy Monday showed Decosta was shot in the head, neck, chest, abdomen, groin, left arm, left leg and right foot. Five of the shots could have proved fatal on their own, authorities said.

Six shots grazed Decosta, Sheriff's Lt. Dave Edmonds said.

Most of the entry wounds were on the left side of Decosta's body, suggesting he was hit as he was turning on officers who had pulled up behind his car. Hood called that "speculation."

He said officers were attempting a high-risk traffic stop, which involves an overwhelming show of force so that the suspect gives up.

The five officers, riding in four cars, fanned out behind Decosta's car in such a way as to prevent them from accidentally firing at one another and minimizing risk to civilians, Hood said.

"The ultimate success depends on compliance from the suspect, which in this case, the suspect immediately exited his car and was confrontational," he said.

Petaluma police, along with a Sacramento police detective and a special agent with the state Department of Justice, had been searching for Decosta since the day before the shooting.

Sacramento authorities had recently learned that Decosta might be cashing Social Security checks in Petaluma. He had been sought since 1998 on a $100,000 arrest warrant accusing him of child molestation.

Sacramento Police Sgt. Justin Risley said Friday that the case involved allegations Decosta had raped and sodomized his 10- and 11-year-old stepdaughters.

"He packed everything and left before she (Decosta's wife) realized it," Risley said. "We investigated it and were never able to locate him."

After spotting Decosta at a gym on Old Corona Road, two Petaluma detectives radioed for two uniformed officers to stop Decosta's car. They were joined in the pursuit by another officer when Decosta didn't stop.

During the two-minute, seven-second chase, officers noted Decosta seemed to be reaching for something in his car, Hood said. They also learned from a dispatcher moments before Decosta pulled over that he had a weapon registered in his name.

Bob McMenomey, the use-of-force commander for the Sheriff's Department, said deputies are trained to use deadly force to protect themselves or others from an immediate threat of death or serious injury.

In situations where deputies resort to firing their gun, McMenomey said, "you shoot until you perceive the threat has been stopped, until it is no longer a threat."

All the officers involved in Saturday's shooting were carrying semiautomatic .40-caliber Glock handguns, which usually have 10 to 15 rounds.

Most U.S. law enforcement agencies switched to semiautomatics from revolvers after shootouts in the 1970s and 1980s in which officers were outgunned.

Lt. Danny Fish, who oversees special operations for Petaluma police, said officers don't carry semiautomatics because they are easier to fire but because they are more technologically advanced.

"We try to provide our people with the best item out there," he said. "Right now, that's semiautomatic weapons."

If the suspect DID do what was alleged, than it sucks to be him! He dug his own grave, and the officers justifiable put him in it. The only people who will mourn this scumbag's passing is the ACLU.....

Alot different than what they originally reported. BTW, I am by no means standing up for the guy but thought you are never an ex-Marine, just former Marine except in the case of a dishonorable discharge, then your an ex-Marine.

Is anyone complaining about excessive force? The whiney libs always do when someone is shot more than once. Its fine by me, I don't care how many shots they fire. Shoot as many times as it takes to end the threat. Use a flame thrower, Dillon Minigun, whatever it takes.

The number of shots fired is fone by me, but someone WILL have something to say about 27 rounds in an elderly man's chest. Arent police supposed to try for non-lethal shots when dealing with a situation like that? The guy never got a shot off. Oh well. One less violent person on the streets. even if he was old.

I wonder if the officers reloaded before firing again? It'd be kind funny have him laying dead, and have the cops reload, then start firing again.

the police are trained to shoot to kill whenever they are confronted w/ a firearm...as are ANY persons trained in firearm combat.....maybe a sniper would be different but if I draw it I shoot to kill......as far as him having 27 rounds in his chest.....I guess the old bugger could stay standing......

Plaidfish said:
the police are trained to shoot to kill whenever they are confronted w/ a firearm...as are ANY persons trained in firearm combat.....maybe a sniper would be different but if I draw it I shoot to kill......as far as him having 27 rounds in his chest.....I guess the old bugger could stay standing......

i agree 100%, ...police are just normal people from the population doing a tough job. & for the total shots, you dont know what the others are gonna do...hell the other guys may freeze up for a second & thats all you have.. you may be the only one able to stop the threat, shoot well & shoot often untill the threats over.

i get the questions as well being a gun owner, could you shoot someone & kill them ...HELL YEAH i can if i need to... do not own a gun for defense unless
you can say that without a doubt

He was shot 27 times total, including the legs, feet, groin, etc. I would like to think I could shoot more accurately than that, but who knows what it feels like to try to get shots off while actually facing a gun.

well lets put it this way...you are an officer and you shoot someone...you know you shot him w/ a kill shot but he's still standing...do you wait and "see" what he's going to do or do you pump his body til it falls and you are sure......personally I'd like to think I could handle myself accordingly and not waste rounds just in case.....but if I had him in my sights I know I'd empty the clip......I wouldn't want to risk him getting the last hoorah shot off and kill me.......same thing fighting.....you keep going til the other guy quits.....no resting, no waiting for him to retaliate after you attack...you hit first and you hit as hard as you can.....I love seeing these scenarios in movies w/ the blow for blow exchange.....man if I get popped 3 times in the face, I'm done, tap out....

"I love seeing these scenarios in movies w/ the blow for blow exchange...."

or in movies where they shoot the bad guy, then walk up to him with his gun on the ground by him & hes still moving..they just stand over him sometimes not even looking at him & make some smart ass quip

shot 27 times out of 42 rounds being fired.I say those cops are good shots put them on s.w.a.t.
I have 2 freinds on nypd and i have gone shooting with them (up in the mountains)and I can out shot them.1 is only on the force for less than 2 years and he can't shot for crap.my other freind isnt any better and he has been on the force for 12 years. :hammer: COPS NEED BETTER TRAINING WITH THERE GUNS!!!! :hammer: Makes me feel good walking the streets and a cop has to empty his gun to drop someone.

you're correct, they may not have been the best shots.....but I can't honestly say how well I'd do in a gun fight either until I've been in one.....we don't know if the missed shots were grouped right next to him or not either.....