Mini-LST with AON electric brushless and Mamba-25

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAMTech-RC

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Here is my review of the Mini-LST. The stock motors and battery only get the truck moving to 16mph. Compared to my RC18T with a mini-reedy, that is almost laughable. So, onto bigger and better. This Mini-LST will become my basher, for hill climbs and gravel pits and general fooling around with my kids. Top speed isn't my concern, torque and power is what I'm after.

MLST1.JPG

MLST2.JPG

First, I took out the stock motors and motor plate, then the stock controller. While I had some free room, I cut out a slot for the Mamba switch.

MLST3.JPG

I installed the AON Electric brushless motor - Model T2415-4900 (4900 KV). And a Castle Creations Mamba 25 controller, with the Castle link USB programmer. I also installed the Country Allow Works brushless motor plate from e-bay.

MLST4.JPG

MLST5.JPG

MLST6.JPG

I found the Castle Creations Castelink software to be very easy to program. My first runs were with most of the safest setting. Proportional brake with reverse lockout, LiPo autodetect, and a soft start for take-off.

I am using several different LiPo batteries, since I have a few from RC planes.
First try was the E-tec 1200 2S. No cogging, and plenty of excelleration and speed. Suprised the top speed was only 18mph on the GPS. Torque seemed much better going up hills.
Second battery was a 1050 3S. Fit a little tight in there, but that was due to velcro that holds the battery to my plane. Big difference in acceleration, and top speed jumped to 26mph. No problems with the motor getting hot, but this wasn't racing. I will probably try the TP 1320 3S, that fit in perfect. The TP 2000 also fit, but only at an angle. Probably not good for my bashing truck.

I'll post some videos right after Christmas, since this is supposed to be a present for my 10 year old. We had to run it, just to make sure it worked!!

MLST7.JPG

I would recommend the AON 4900 for those looking for a very good bashing motor. Cost is in the lower range compared to other systems, but this definitely isn't a cheapo system. The quality of the motor is excellent, and you can actually re-build the internals. The mamba software is excellent as well, so this should be a good combination for me.

I look forward to better ball cups, metal gears, ball diffs, 1/10 axle adapters, and a few aluminum suspension parts. Other than that, it should be a great truck.

Awhhh nice set up. can't wait to see the vids on this!!

Good idea,I just unpacked my Mini LST and am mounting a Mamba ESC and a ElectriFly 400 class brushless.cannot wait to run the beast.

Now dual brushless would be hella fast,geared the same as the stock weakling 370's.

Overall I am very impressed with this Mini-LST for the price.Nexy up some Kyosho Half8 alu shocks.

Here is the video. It lasted 3 minutes with teh stock center diff. Then, I installed the MIP Mini-T diff. That lasted ariound 10 minutes before it loosened up. I then broke the screw that holds it all together. MIP is closed for the holidays,a dn my LHS ran out of parts.

AON brushless movie

I should've bought another RC18MT.

nice vid he looked happy with it. well if anything you have all the electronics to put into another car if you buy a kit.

I just installed the Losi re-designed gears. They have been running now for 6 battery packs, but only the 2Cell packs. I'll wait until my LHS has a better supply of parts to do the 3S pack again. Its a cool truck, even with all the problems.

Back