Might be scoring a Traxxas Rustler 4x4 VXL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addict Rc

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
One of my uncles friends has a Rustler 4x4 VXL not sure what battery it has might have a lipo but its only been run like 4 times at the most not sure on the price yet but will ask tommorow hopefully i get it also theres nothing wrong with it its just he doesn't use it

Oh, the damage you could do to a 4x4! 😜

That's cool man. Hope you get it. I never owned a Rustler, but it looks really cool.

definitely an going to try

Hmmm i wonder if stuff like mailboxes jump out infront of 4x4 too or if its just 2wds? 🤣
Rustler 4x4 is not my favorite Traxxas 4wd platform, I like hoss and rally more, but nothing wrong with it. Just a quick recommendation, I would not pay more than 50percent of MSRP when buying used, no matter how good the condition is. I paid 180$ for my rustler in a very nice shape with pro line shocks and castle combo (it was brushed version)

I dont see a ton of difference between a Rustler 4x4 and a Hoss 4x4 other than a tad bigger tires? The Hoss is interesting. its like an emaxx and a slash 4x4 had a baby.

I dont see a ton of difference between a Rustler 4x4 and a Hoss 4x4 other than a tad bigger tires? The Hoss is interesting. its like an emaxx and a slash 4x4 had a baby.
The Rustler is shorter than the Hoss and Rally. The Hoss and Rally are both basically the same size as a Senton, whereas the Rustler, at least length wise, is roughly 2 inches shorter. The Hoss and rally sits on the LWB chassis, and the Rustler and Bandit are on the SWB chassis. The interesting things you learn when you arent happy with something stock. I'm currently building a cross between a Slash, Rally (it started out as a mix of Slash and Rally parts), and Hoss for winter, but, since i havent found any TRX tires i like, its gonna have Vorteks wheels and tires on it.
Just a quick recommendation, I would not pay more than 50percent of MSRP when buying used, no matter how good the condition is.
That seems to be a Traxxas thing. I am always finding them for around half of retail, but, its the only brand i ever see like that. I constantly see Slash 2WD's for no more than $125, and 2WD Stampedes, Bandits and Rustlers usually run right around the $100 range for RTR's. I recently bought a 4WD RTR for $125 (i can't say what it started out as, since it has rally tires and wheels, and the rest is supposedly all Slash parts). Arrma, for example, when i do find them used, they might be $75 or $100 less than new. Team Associated and TLR are even worse.

Last edited:
Rustler 4x4 is an awesome car, but I find hoss superior for off-road, and rally superior for onroad. Other than long hcg chassis, I really like sledgehammer tires, awesome for off-road and surprisingly very good for asphalt as well. And 3670 motor from maxx, that motor is a torque monster. I am running my hoss with high speed pinion and only 2s. Even 2s it has decent speed and pulling wheels like it's nothing

The Rustler 4x4 is longer than the Rustler 2wd but shorter than the Slash 4x4. It shares many components with the Slash 4x4 platform. It also comes stock with Traxxas famous soft snd sloppy suspensions so if you want it to handle better than plan on stiffer springs, better shocks, and a few aluminum upgrades.