Mgt radio/receiver help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesabbott418

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently acquired a monster gt 4.6 .28pro from a friend that has not touched it in about 12 years.
I'm learning that most parts are NLA. I’ve cleaned and rebuilt the engine and transmission every looks great on the whole truck really but I put new batteries in the receiver and as soon as I pushed the switch to “on” the servos just went crazy. They a moving a twitching all over with not even having batteries in the radio.
I left it on my counter for about and hour and it just kept on twitching. With new batteries The radio has no affect on the receiver at all.
I assume I need a new radio and receiver but I have no clue what to buy.
I am mechanical inclined but I have absolutely ZERO experience with rc electronics.
I attached photos of my radio controller and the receiver. Could someone help me choose what I need.

Attachments

• 110EB787-7185-4D68-BA35-CFB0908B3C18.jpeg
    110EB787-7185-4D68-BA35-CFB0908B3C18.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 300
  • 34F38A35-B9DA-4FCC-A684-3F6F31BB51AB.jpeg
    34F38A35-B9DA-4FCC-A684-3F6F31BB51AB.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 163
  • B7A81586-6C1C-438F-8FDC-9A40EF9BCCFF.jpeg
    B7A81586-6C1C-438F-8FDC-9A40EF9BCCFF.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 151
  • A3224A6C-2A60-43C0-971C-3ED322794F5A.jpeg
    A3224A6C-2A60-43C0-971C-3ED322794F5A.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 116
  • BF2F3F00-C702-4DF8-868E-30F9CFD6ED57.jpeg
    BF2F3F00-C702-4DF8-868E-30F9CFD6ED57.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 105
I'm not too familiar with that unit, but I can tell you that there should be a light that comes on when you turn on the transmitter. Also, take a look at the crystal on the received and make sure it matches the transmitter. The crystal is attached to the tab, on the receiver, that reads 26.995. I'm not sure where the it is located on the transmitter. Also, you might want to make sure that all the plugs are in their proper location on the receiver. Better yet, throw that one away and get a new digital unit for $50. Then you don't have to worry about crystals and you get a cleaner signal. Just a thought.

The crystal as you call it matches the one on the transmitter. Even swapping them from trans to receiver makes not diff. But if I pull that out of the receiver it’s stop twitching.
what is this digital unit you speak of.
do I buy a transmitter and receiver combo? Or?

Hi,
I recently acquired a monster gt 4.6 .28pro from a friend that has not touched it in about 12 years.
I'm learning that most parts are NLA. I’ve cleaned and rebuilt the engine and transmission every looks great on the whole truck really but I put new batteries in the receiver and as soon as I pushed the switch to “on” the servos just went crazy. They a moving a twitching all over with not even having batteries in the radio.
I left it on my counter for about and hour and it just kept on twitching. With new batteries The radio has no affect on the receiver at all.
I assume I need a new radio and receiver but I have no clue what to buy.
I am mechanical inclined but I have absolutely ZERO experience with rc electronics.
I attached photos of my radio controller and the receiver. Could someone help me choose what I need.

I am familure with it ,I still have my original ,one of the crystals broke ,so I had just upgraded to the AE 2.4 system ,it was cheap
an easy to do ,you need a 3 channel for reverse!

I am familure with it ,I still have my original ,one of the crystals broke ,so I had just upgraded to the AE 2.4 system ,it was cheap
an easy to do ,you need a 3 channel for reverse!

I saw this on ebay
Team Associated XP120 2.4GHz 2CH RC Radio System w/XP-R4 Receiver 29204 29209

I saw this on ebay
Team Associated XP120 2.4GHz 2CH RC Radio System w/XP-R4 Receiver 29204 29209
Crap I see you said 3 channel not. Sorry.
So can I get a 3 channel transmitter
And the. Get a 4 channel receiver? Do I need to buy as a set or can they be paired together?

Cool looking truck. There are several 2.4GHz systems that come with the receiver and some really good inexpensive systems.

Thnx ,that is only one of my MGT's!...:thumbs-up:

since you seem to have the mtgs down to a science.
what can I do about an air filter? Mine has deteriorated. Oh and an exhaust header seal. Gone also

since you seem to have the mtgs down to a science.
what can I do about an air filter? Mine has deteriorated. Oh and an exhaust header seal. Gone also

Those are common parts an there is many brands that enter change with your size engine ,an if you have a local hobby shop
in your area ,they should have that stuff in stock ,also ,you should pic up an extra glow plug!

Ok, for some reason I was thinking these things were specific to each model vehicle.
Great thanks

Ok, for some reason I was thinking these things were specific to each model vehicle.
Great thanks

I forgot to mention ,that you would also need a small bottle of filter oil & a bottle of after run oil as well!
The filter should have two filters on the housing ,an inner filter an a pre-filter that goes over it ,the inner one
is the one that you oil ,that you put it in a plastic baggy ,an squirt a few drops of oil in the bag with it ,sqeeze
an mead the oil in the filter ,but dont over oil ,then you put it on housing ,then slide the pre-filter over it!

After run oil is for storing your engine if you dont intend to run it with in a few weeks or so.That ,you simply put
about 4 drops down in the engine an rotate the engine a few times before you throw the truck in storage!...:cool:

I forgot to mention ,that you would also need a small bottle of filter oil & a bottle of after run oil as well!
The filter should have two filters on the housing ,an inner filter an a pre-filter that goes over it ,the inner one
is the one that you oil ,that you put it in a plastic baggy ,an squirt a few drops of oil in the bag with it ,sqeeze
an mead the oil in the filter ,but dont over oil ,then you put it on housing ,then slide the pre-filter over it!

After run oil is for storing your engine if you dont intend to run it with in a few weeks or so.That ,you simply put
about 4 drops down in the engine an rotate the engine a few times before you throw the truck in storage!...:cool:

great infor thanks. Hey you mentioned a glow plug. I see different heat ranges. What heat range do these Like?

great infor thanks. Hey you mentioned a glow plug. I see different heat ranges. What heat range do these Like?

LOL....I dont remember ,I havent had to buy one in years!

But do remember Os #8 & Mcoy 59!.....?

Someone else here may have a reference or you can get the info at a hobby shop!...:cool:

I ended up getting the xp130 Transmitter and the xp-r4 Receiver. They work great. Thanks guys.

1637B191-F6D1-415B-BA7C-8D7825D6040D.jpeg

Just finished getting her together today. Now waiting for a few nic nac items.

Back