LST2 BL conversion Build (First time posting a build)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear ya, I just found out that my rc shop puts out a nice little pavement track with jumps every sunday.. they said I can run my LST2 there if I want.. (its not a 1/8th track, but it will be fun.) they dont race there just run the track. but the tech did say my truck was one of the cleanest he's ever worked on. (All praise simple green)

Looks like I wont be able to do it tomorrow....I wassnt able to get my truck completely fixed tonight. I will get it fixed tomorrow and hopefully test it Tuesday :) If no heat issues then I will test it again on Friday. Tomorrow is only supposed to be 41F but Friday its supposed to be 56F.

Last edited:
Well the video is coming ASAP Sur3fir3 just as soon as I can get to it....I started trying to mod mine the other night to put the battery tray in the front and thats been a painful process but I think I'm getting close to getting on there and make it sturdy. However while I was tearing everything down to redo it I discovered a problem.

311197_448207881893031_335786859_n.jpg

The thrust bearing feel apart when I took the slipper apart. I think I'm gonna convert mine over to use TDR motor mount and single speed conversion. Then I dont have to worry about the thrust bearing anymore.

At any rate video will be coming as soon as i get this thing back up and running :)

putting the battery tray up front is easy just have to drill two holes in plastic.. and pic up a nylon spacer i sent a pm but ill explain here as well

first look at pic

batterymount1.jpg

when mounting this in the rear it mounts to two holes in the plastic upper brace. if you look the front has marks for these holes but are not drilled. I drilled out the holes and put the stock metal spacers in. I also removed the front rx box. I have read that a traxxas rx box will fit behind the shocks, but right now I'm working on buying replacement lst2 parts. so that part is on a temp hold. then I took the long aluminum spacer that comes with the battery tray and I located a hole on the chassis that lined up in a decent and strong area of the tray like this

batterymount2.jpg

the only thing I have left to figure out is how to secure the plastic tab that sits above the tranny.

Last edited:
called the LHS and it will be ready tomorrow, I'll get some video. also picked up this roller with no electronics. I think I'm getting it relatively cheap.

f2.gif

Well I picked up my E-LST2 today. I couldn't get running video as it was getting dark, and couldnt get a good shot. I have to say this thing is hard to control even at half throttle. I think putting the battery tray up front mixed with the fact that I am running a 29T pinion, I had no problem keeping the front end on the ground. I didn't wheelie once. I can see that for top speed I'm going to want to do the gear flip in the tranny, and I am going to see about getting some lower tooth ring gears or some higher tooth pinions for the diffs. Here are 2 pics of it finished, and its a bit dirty cause I wanted to see how it handled on a low grip surface. I only drove it for a total of about 5 min, and its already my favorite. I know now that once my LRP .30 dies I will be converting my XL to BL.

pics:

CIMG0003.jpg

CIMG0007.jpg

I will say this build is not finished, but I need to put my hobby on hold now that I at least got it running with enough backup parts so I dont have to worry about if I break something or not. My 1:1 needs some work done to it.

I've decided after much personal debate to not jump anything at all at this time. I found some mod 1 pinions that are 5mm shaft and go up to about 38t if I remember correctly, but they are made from some sort of nylon it looks like. I think that by using one of those I can significantly increase my pinion size and not worry about motor heat as much as there is much less rotational mass when comparing steel to nylon. In other words I want to see how fast this baby can go in its current form with minor adjustments. I'm not trying to set any records, I just want to see how far I can push it and still maintain decent drive ability.

One of the main reasons I built this E-LST2 is that I found a decent indoor track within about an hour of where I live. they dont allow nitros, and the LST2/XXL arguably is one of the better racing platforms for MTs.

Now I'm not going to go and actually race, as there is no MT class, but I really want to start going to a track and putting in some laps. I do know that speed is not the most important thing when at the track, so I will be using smaller pinions of course :)

Aside from the revo, which is not even an 1/8 scale MT, the LST is the next best handling MT out there. Once you get the gearing squared away, let us know how she handles on the track.

E-LST2 Beta build

Well its been a while since I've update this. I want to state that the E-LST2 hast very good handling for a MT, but its just not enough for me. So, I've decided to muggify my E-LST2. I just got 3 muggy shock towers and lower shock mounts. I dont have the cash atm to get muggy shocks so I will be limiting their travel with some fuel line in the shock body. I got these parts at a decent price, and couldn't pass it up. I will post before and after photos. Also I am sorry about not posting a video yet, my camera is in a box somewhere... until then I'm stuck with just an iphone.

I haven't done any real jumping yet, i hit a couple of nice grass gnolls a bit back and the balance of the truck was a tad off, I think because I mounted the batteries both to one side, instead of staggering the two. Once I get the muggy parts on and tested I will put the hd plates on.

:D

If you ever upgrade from the stock all terrain tires to something with more bite like the super bolt ons I'm using I can still pull wheelies in loose gravel at half throttle and my battery tray is now up front also. Granted I have to hammer the throttle a lot more now to get it to wheelie than before where it was just stupid easy but its still doable when I want it to ;)

I plan on using bowties and/or city blocks on the track. As for bashing I'm gonna run the atx tires until the rubber falls off... lol ;)

self introduction

hi everyone.

looks like there are tons of LST information in here.

I have 3 LST2 (and one Flux HP) that I have used since 2007 till now. all are modded for hard bashing between my and my boys.

Looking forward to sharing information/experience about the LST.

hey aqeel, good to see that you decided to join us :). Any experiences and build posts are greatly appreciated. We always try to help eachother out.
@greywolf74

Have you decided on a fan for your motor yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've seen I dont think I need one. If I do though I'll probably just throw a Castle fan on it. I have a couple of extras.

hey aqeel, good to see that you decided to join us :). Any experiences and build posts are greatly appreciated. We always try to help eachother out.
@greywolf74

Have you decided on a fan for your motor yet?

thanks for the warm welcome bro. yes, it was my intention to share and share alike on any mods and experience I have on the LST. Anyhow, just in case some fellow LST owners here have not seen the mods that I have done.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znFaKmIWBUs"]MyMTRG LST2 Collection and Mods - YouTube[/ame]

maybe it will give someone some ideas with improvements.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I am sort of old school even if it says waterproof I just stay out of the water period with all my rigs. But then again where I live it doesn't snow.

Back