LST2 BL conversion Build (First time posting a build)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sur3fir3

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
*note* this is how i did my conversion. there are significantly cheaper ways you can do this conversion. I chose some expensive items where I felt they were needed.

I received the LST2 parts shown below from a trade with ChesterCheeto (great guy to deal with BTW). I have multiple spares as you can see, and the tranny has the FOC. First thing on my list is a good cleaning. After that here is my part list, that I have come up with so far.

RC screwz kit
The dudes engine mount, swivel plate, single speed hub, and esc/rx mount.
Battery tray
Mamba Monster/Neu-Castle 2200kv Motor Combo
Servos
New Era Roll bar

and once my a arms break I will be getting the RPM a arms with adapters.

By no means will this be a show truck or shelf queen, as I lack the funding to do anything too extreme. Here are some photos of what I'm starting with.

CIMG0049.jpg

CIMG0048.jpg

CIMG0046.jpg

CIMG0044.jpg

CIMG0043.jpg

CIMG0042.jpg

As I clean it and get it put together I will post status updates. I need the screw kit before I can't really start too much. I'm not sure when I will be ordering that.

Photos after cleaning rear end and sprucing up front.

Below is the front end

CIMG0051.jpg

Below is the rear end

CIMG0053.jpg

Below is both end on the chassis (no screws, and the chassis has yet to be cleaned.
The diffs are missing because I need to clean them and add new fluid.

CIMG0056.jpg

Below is the tranny before new bearings and grease

Tranny.jpg

09/01/12/ Edit

I am putting the build on hold for a bit. I opened the tranny everything looks fine, It already has the FOC with the TiNi gear. Even though the bearings look fine, I have decided to get a bearing kit, I also need some shims. I would also like to order the motor mount, and battery tray. It will take a bit to save up the cash, so in the mean time I am going to put some new parts on my XL. I also have to send in my k5.9 to hpi.

10/03/12 Edit
Waiting on the wheels and the new bellcrank and I will post pics of the cleaned and rebuilt LST2 roller with servos and Rx. I will post pics once its put together, and next comes the mounting hardware for the motor and battery. Need to get the E-Rollcage from New era.

10/07/12
I got home this morning at about 2 am after work, and decided to finish putting together the LST2. I have some pics here, i can't find my camera so here it is from my phone. As soon as I find my camera I'll put up some better quality pics.

side.jpg

front2.jpg

front1.jpg

Here are some pics with my savage XL

LSTnXL1.jpg

LSTnXL6.jpg

LSTnXL5.jpg

LSTnXL4.jpg

LSTnXL3.jpg

LSTnXL2.jpg

Here is the alpha build of this conversion

CIMG0132.jpg

CIMG0127.jpg

CIMG0125.jpg

12/31/2012

I decided the muggify this lst2 pics at the end. working on the beta build. I ran into some issues with my first build. First I was stacking both batteries on the right side of the losi battery tray. I also found out that to run a no limit sanctioned race you must have the spur cover, so I am going to find a way to put that on. I had some issues when it came to turning, it had a tendency to want to roll right over. Still having issues with uncontrollable wheelies when trying to hit full throttle, this is with 34/63 gearing. I am going to change out the LST2 diff pinoins to Muggy pinions, that will lower it to 11/42 might be 11/45 i forget. either way its 3 less teeth on the pinion than stock. Anyways heres the pics so far. I do not have muggy shocks yet, so I took a length of fuel tubing and limited the lst2 shocks that way.. it turned out decent. It handles alot better i will say that. next on the list are the pinions.

IMG_0105.jpg

muggy1.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

Last edited:
Having done an LST2 Conversion myself and done much research on various parts I hope you dont mind if I give some friendly input here on your parts list.

RC screwz kit:
Why the RC screwz kit exactly? If its simply for replacement screws then I would suggest buying a screw/tool kit for the XXL off of ebay. Its about half the price. If you want to change to metric screws, well, for what theyre charging for a screw kit Id rather buy a set a high quality Standard tools then you will be prepared for either standard or metric kits you may end up with in the future.

The dudes engine mount, swivel plate, single speed hub, and esc/rx mount:
The TDR set up is way better than the Losi conversion kit so Id definitely go that route with one exception. I would look into getting Losi's Single speed convertion kit. Its only $20 instead of $35 and works just as well.

Battery tray:
I recommend either the Tekno V3 or the Tekno V4 depending on your preference. The V3 is a few bucks cheaper but I like how the Screw holes are inside the tray on the V4 instead of the outside like the V3.

Mamba Monster/Neu-Castle 2200kv Motor Combo:
Unless you already have this combo I would personally suggest spending an extra 50 bucks and using a Tekin RX8 ESC instead of the MMM. It can handle higher amp draws which will help it run cooler and probably longer than the MMM and Tekins warranty exchanges/repairs are much faster than Castles. I love the Castle 2200kv and I'm sure that would work well although since I caught an awesome sale I ended up buying the Tekin T8 1550KV/RX8 Combo. That works really well also. Either of those motors are an awesome choice.

Servos:
For a good solid budget servo I like to recommend PPP brand servos from "CheapServoMan" on eBay. The price varies on them somewhat but the Servos can usually be had for $28-$40 bucks each. The specs are 244oz/in and .14 Speed. I usually get these for $30ea. $60 bucks for 488oz/in and .14sec is pretty respectable. They are nice and strong and very smooth. So far the ones I have been using in a couple of a different kits have held up very well.

New Era Roll Bar:
I've never really understood the attraction to these, I've never used one and never really felt like I needed one but if it floats your boat then why not! :)

RPM A Arms with Adapters:
Hellz yeah! can't ever go wrong with RPM plastic!

Just my .02 worth :)

Last edited:
Screw Kit: On ebay I failed to see a complete kit like what RC screwz has, but I see your logic. I found 100 xxl screws and etc for $7. Thanks for the advice I will go the ebay route.

TDR BL setup: If I can get the losi single speed hub mailed for less, I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Servos: I will look into those servos.

New Era Roll Bar: The E-version of this protects your ESC and rx. I have one of these on my savage, and I have to say I love it.

Thanks a bunch for your advice, I will put it to good use.

As for stainless steel screws, they are junk. I had a kit for my tmaxx and kept stripping them out because of the softer steel.
Looks like you have a lot of cleaning to do, I had to do the same thing with my LST2 and Aftershock. The good part is the majority of the truck is already disassembled. :D

As for stainless steel screws, they are junk. I had a kit for my tmaxx and kept stripping them out because of the softer steel.
Looks like you have a lot of cleaning to do, I had to do the same thing with my LST2 and Aftershock. The good part is the majority of the truck is already disassembled. :D

Thanks for the screws info, I'm going to get some from ebay, but I was able to talk to the manager at my local Ace hardware, and he said he could special order just about any screw, washer, nut etc, for me when they do their orders.
He even said that since I am going to buy such an array, that he will charge me the box price per screw on the ones I may only need a few of, saving me a bit.

First thing I am working on right now is polishing up the aluminum a bit, it willl take me a while, but ill post some pics.

And yea Since its mostly taken apart I know I will be using the pics from your Aftershock build thread to help me rebuild once all the cleaning and etc is done.

Last edited:
I've done a bit of polishing, got the main aluminum chassis, the chassis skid plate, and one bottom chassis plate done. I realized I have the Upgraded Hard Ano High Performance Chassis, and the HD uppper plates. for now I am switching those out to the stock aluminum. Decided to do this because I would rather test on stock gear and break that, than the harder to get, and more expensive HD stuff.

I need a CV rebuild kit for one of my front CVDs, and I have yet to take apart the diffs. I think I will do that tomorrow, and will post some pics once most of the front end is built.

looks like a fun project!! My Revo was a kind of cheap build lol.

Hows the build going?

Well on Saturday before work I took apart the diffs, and everything was good. in one the grease was a bit dirty, but no noticeable damage to spider gears or pinion. even the gasket was in great condition. all the shocks are filled with 45Wt, and their levels were great.

I built most of the front end, and am waiting to do more with that until I can hit my hobby shop tomorrow for some diff fluid, and shock fluid. Maybe order a few things I know I will need.

Tonight I am going to disassemble the rear end.

Can I soak the plastic in the simple green solution??

I can definitely tell this was a well maintained racer. Even the bearings look decent, and still have great movement.

Posted 3 new pics of front and rear end cleaned.

:D

---------- Post added at 4:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:06 PM ----------

looks like a fun project!! My Revo was a kind of cheap build lol.

Its a great project for me. I am enjoying it greatly. once I get everything built, and its time for the conversion thats when the real fun starts.

So far I've spent

$25 to ship out my trade (Mini MGT 3.0 roller w/ servos and engine in unknown condition. with less than 1 gal through it,)

$20 on some screws, CVD rebuild kit, and new steering links.

09/05/12

$12 on shock oil and diff fluid
32.07 on Bearing set from Fast Eddie
few bucks for some shims.

Got stuff for my XL diffs coming in with some shims for the losi diffs. will rebuild them Sept 13th.

09/20/12

$80 Buying FS-Gt3B and sending it out to be modded will post pics upon return

09/25/12
$111 purchased 2 255oz HV Metal gear Servos W/CC 10A BEC and Castle Link USB programmer.

10/03/12
ordered 4 atx stock xxl wheels/tires ordered new bellcranks was $50 but had $20 ebay bucks :)

10/20/12
$150 Ordered the dude racing motor mount. esc mount, losi battery tray, LOSI high friction slipper pads and 2 XO-1 pinions, one 34T one 29T

10/25/12
$540 ordered Tekin RX8 T8 1550kv combo with Hotwire, EC5 connectors, and 2 3s Venom 50C 5000mah hard cases

I ended up spending $976 from start to finish

Last edited:
looking good. sorry about all the virginia red dirt. its been sitting for a while

looking good. sorry about all the virginia red dirt. its been sitting for a while

Its all good, I got most of that cleaned off. Once I get these changes done to my savvy, I'll work on the conversion again, just need to save up some cash.

If your going to be doing a lot of big air jumps like 12+ ft. I would look at 60wt oil and yellow springs. Thats what I ended up doing with my XXL anyway. :)

Well I was transferring everything to the new chassis (*edit added* The chassis main plate is actually used. I should have used the word different instead of new) I had hand sanded, and 2 stainless steel screws stripped. One I drilled out of the plate no problem, but on the second one I removed a bit of the metal on the counter sunk part. I am upgrading to M3 screws on the chassis, and they still hold the chassis down decently. Do you guys want a pic to judge, or should it be ok since the screw still sits pretty well and holds it down?

Last edited:
Personally I'm a purest. Id replace it but if its holding and it seems strong then its up to you. Easier to change out the parts now though while its apart should they not hold up.

Personally I'm a purest. Id replace it but if its holding and it seems strong then its up to you. Easier to change out the parts now though while its apart should they not hold up.

Well I went and took another look at it. It holds fine. Since this is my first brushless conversion, I am going to use it still. This way I can use the chassis i drilled out a bit as a template for the HD main chassis plate I have. If I have to move say the battery tray for balance, or something else needs to be moved, I don't have to worry about drilling more holes in a nice new plate.

I just want to make sure I have a perfect build before I mod the HD main plate, as I can't find replacements for those anywhere. (all I find are graphite top plates.)

Last edited:
Well I went and took another look at it. It holds fine. Since this is my first brushless conversion, I am going to use it still. This way I can use the chassis i drilled out a bit as a template for the HD main chassis plate I have. If I have to move say the battery tray for balance, or something else needs to be moved, I don't have to worry about drilling more holes in a nice new plate.

I just want to make sure I have a perfect build before I mod the HD main plate, as I can't find replacements for those anywhere. (all I find are graphite top plates.)

Probably a good idea. Id like to know what ends up being a good balance spot for the battery tray once you get it figured out because I'm pretty sure at some point I'm going to ditch the Losi brand conversion kit and get a TDR motor mount and mount my own Tekno battery tray but I also have an aftermarket chassis so I dont want to go drillin alot of holes in it which is why I went with the Losi one in the first place....unfortunately it sucks.

Probably a good idea. Id like to know what ends up being a good balance spot for the battery tray once you get it figured out because I'm pretty sure at some point I'm going to ditch the Losi brand conversion kit and get a TDR motor mount and mount my own Tekno battery tray but I also have an aftermarket chassis so I dont want to go drillin alot of holes in it which is why I went with the Losi one in the first place....unfortunately it sucks.

I should have all the parts, and have it put together completely in about 2-3 months. My budget limit on what I can spend each month is low, since I am disabled and can only work part time... but it will get there.

Once I have it setup Ill post as much info I can on what ends up being a good setup.

BTW ordered HD diffs today :)

I should have all the parts, and have it put together completely in about 2-3 months. My budget limit on what I can spend each month is low, since I am disabled and can only work part time... but it will get there.

Once I have it setup Ill post as much info I can on what ends up being a good setup.

BTW ordered HD diffs today :)

HD as in heavy duty diffs? I didnt know they made HD diffs for the LST2.

Back