Losi Mini Baja

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grgbulldog

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just got one of my friends into the world of hobby grade rc. he picked up a losi mini baja this afternoon after school and i helped him get it going. he wanted 1/18, but he did wanna shell out as much cash for an rc18t or something, he seems happy with this. i have one question regarding it, though. when going though grass, the motor shuts off sometimes, but the steering still works. turning it off, then back on just gets it going again. my question is should/why is it doing this? can it be fixed?

-thanks,
Braden

Hmm... All I can think of is that the ESC might have some sort of load cut-off and it's shutting down the motor to prevent damage due to excessive heat.

but its not hot at all..i was surprised it didnt get hotter. it just does it in like the grass, so I'm wondering if maybe it does it when theres resistance against the motor

I agree that it's probably the ESC cutting off to prevent overheating. WHen my 18t was running the stock motor, it used to happen to me in tall grass.

ok..got a new update. he decided to go run his new baja in the rain today. what fun he had. he fried the motor, so we decided to go get a new one. a team trinity something. we took it back, installed it and drove it. it still cuts off all the time. in grass, it cuts off. if you, from a stop, give it full power, it shuts off. it seems like it has a super-sensitive motor saver on it. it also shuts off if it spins and you dont let it stop before getting back in the throttle

Sounds like a fried ESC. Mine had a similar problem before it crapped on me completely. I'm going to buy Heartbreak's ESC, since I don't feel like spending 75 bucks on an awesome ESC that will go too fast to allow indoor driving.

If the motor is too big for the ESC that could be your problem. Most ESC's have turn (don't really know what turns are but...) limits on the size of the motor.

well this is just a simple team trinity motor that was like 30 bucks..ill look more into it tomorrow. ill prolly see him anyway. man..i dont want him to spend more money. all we hear is his mom complaining that he needs to put his money into "upgrading" his real car and not toys. and we never heard the end of it when he broke a ball cup tonight, luckily the rc18t linkages fit it with about a mm difference.

Back