Looking to buy my first rc

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had known about that Hobbymate D6 Dual Lite I think I would have grabbed that one along with the AC PSU. It's a pretty slick little charger using the same ISDT OS. It even has an Eneloop charge cycle. Still trying to figure that one out, like there must be a balance board in the works or something to charge AA and AAA batteries with it. But I can't find any info on it yet.

If I had known about that Hobbymate D6 Dual Lite I think I would have grabbed that one along with the AC PSU. It's a pretty slick little charger using the same ISDT OS. It even has an Eneloop charge cycle. Still trying to figure that one out, like there must be a balance board in the works or something to charge AA and AAA batteries with it. But I can't find any info on it yet.
Whats the difference between the regular and the lite?

Eneloop charging cycle? Didnt know eneloop needed its own special charging setting. I charge all my AA and AAAs on my chargers the same, eneloops included. weird.

Whats the difference between the regular and the lite?

Eneloop charging cycle? Didnt know eneloop needed its own special charging setting. I charge all my AA and AAAs on my chargers the same, eneloops included. weird.
The lite is 2 separate pieces. So if you go out in the field you just take the DC portion. It is almost small enough to fit in your pocket and is 300w. It is just a cool little charger.

I am just guessing here, but most of the AA battery chargers you buy have weak power supplies. So maybe they are planning on making a separate charger bank that plugs into the Hobbymate to put your AA and AAA into. I dunno.

Last edited:
The light is 2 separate pieces. So if you go out in the field you just take the DC portion. It is almost small enough to fit in your pocket and is 300w. It is just a cool little charger.
Oh yeah, thats right. I saw that before, just didnt remember it.

Pay attention to scale! 1/10 scale is fine, and so is 1/8 scale but do not get anything bigger than 1/7 scale. Too big is well too big. Larger vehicles need larger places to move around in. Also since this is your first vehicle I recommend ready to run models, denoted as RTR in the descriptions on online stores. Kits will just give you headache after headache. I recommend Losi and Armma brands; both have excellent track records and both have an excellent supply of ready to run models.

Tom Sisson

Wow why does charging your rc sound complicated 😂

Wow why does charging your rc sound complicated 😂
Its really not that bad. Just takes a little time to learn a few basics and the more advanced stuff you'll pick up later :)
Either one of those chargers would work just fine. Kev and I were just discussing differences in the two units but they are both good chargers.
Kits will just give you headache after headache.
Thats really a subjective statement. How much of a headache they are is going to depend largely on how mechanically inclined you are and how much you enjoy taking on new challenges. A lot of people find building kits from the ground up enjoyable and its an excellent way to learn exactly how your RC works from top to bottom so when you do run in to an issue you already understand how the entire kit works and how its assembled.

Last edited:
Kits will just give you headache after headache. I recommend Losi and Armma brands; both have excellent track records and both have an excellent supply of ready to run models.

Tom Sisson
I built a Kyosho Javelin when I was 16 years old. Now, I am a very mechanically inclined person, but even so, at 16 that is a pretty rough RC for anyone to tackle. The belt/chain drive assembly alone is a bit of a challenge. But there is nothing better to give you an understanding of your RC vehicle as building it yourself.

If I had bought that as an RTR and had nothing but an exploded view to fix a problem, I would have been a bit lost. But after building it, I would not have been scared to rip it apart down to the diffs if needed. Thankfully though, it was a Kyosho and never needed wrenching other than the slipper clutch adjustment now and then 😉

Buying a RTR and having to tear it apart to fix something can be a bit of an endeavor, even for an experienced RCer. Having to hunt for screw locations holding a part in is a learning experience. Something you would already know in a kit version.

And 90% of the kits are pretty straightforward. If you are just getting into this hobby and aren't prepared to work on an RC, which sometimes requires it be almost completely stripped down, find another hobby.

Back