Looking to buy my first rc

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 24s are becoming more and more popular and there is some guys in here that have them, I will soon have one or all myself.. :D
Now there ya went and done it. I was trying not to pressure another poor soul into buying an SCX24, but you opened the door šŸ˜

My bomber has a bit of an attitude but I blame the Tekin system on that. It's taking a while to get used to her but there is a couple of things I am going to try so she won' roll as easy on flat terrain. She does climb like a mo fo though.. :D

View attachment 134106
Love the look of that gal! šŸ˜
Now there ya went and done it. I was trying not to pressure another poor soul into buying an SCX24, but you opened the door šŸ˜
My wallet is still trying to recover from that one...Thanks Kev! šŸ˜‹
šŸ¤£

Anything under 1/10 scale (1/12, 1/16, 1/18) is considered a "mini" and anything smaller than about 1/18 scale (1/20, 1/24, 1/32) is considered a "micro"
So the only difference is size then and not power etc? Sorry with the questions I'm just learning before i buy lol

So the only difference is size then and not power etc? Sorry with the questions I'm just learning before i buy lol
The smaller cars will have less power because they are smaller. But scale speeds and power will likely be comparable. And there is no problem at all asking questions bro. We are all here to help and learn. And we were all new to the hobby at some point. So ask all the questions you want.

Before you get into RC, there is one thing you have to do, especially since you seem to be focusing on electric RC's, and that is learn how to care for and charge LiPo batteries. You will want a decent charger. Something around the $100 price range would be great, but there are cheaper ones you can get that will do OK. There are a few good brands we can suggest when you get to that point. There are YT vids that will teach you the basics here.

We can better help you if we know your budget. Getting into RC for the first time, or even returning to it after a hiatus can get a little spendy. So how much are you able to spend on a car, battery, charger, etc?

Welcome to the group @Chicko , it can be overwhelming at first, trying to make heads or tales of what's out there, and what you really need to get started. It's good that you are looking into it, and not just buying something on impulse, and finding out you made a mistake. Just take your time and if something we say doesn't make sense, let us know and we will try our best to help you understand. :)

the traxxas 1/10 scale rc in the erevo and summit are way bigger than a normal 1/10 scale . summit is more like a 1/8 scale on steroids(super pumped up). 1/16 is a mini close to a true 1/16 scale

Welcome to the group @Chicko , it can be overwhelming at first, trying to make heads or tales of what's out there, and what you really need to get started. It's good that you are looking into it, and not just buying something on impulse, and finding out you made a mistake. Just take your time and if something we say doesn't make sense, let us know and we will try our best to help you understand. :)
So true. Even being in the hobby since I was a kid, it is overwhelming trying to decide on what I want to buy next. If only I were a rich man! But that makes it fun to me, watching others buy and build RC's that I don't have (yet).

No, the mini doesn't have all of the features of the full sized one and the mini has a smaller motor etc. I would get the 1/10. The mini is a dumbed down version.

Last edited:
the traxxas 1/10 scale rc in the erevo and summit are way bigger than a normal 1/10 scale . summit is more like a 1/8 scale on steroids(super pumped up). 1/16 is a mini close to a true 1/16 scale
That is good to know. Can you share a pic of a Summit next to a regular sized 1/10?

That is good to know. Can you share a pic of a Summit next to a regular sized 1/10?
Its really an 1/8th scale (or bigger) just like the revo and maxx are bigger than normal 1/10 like TNT said.

1/10 vs 1/16 size comparison
7207_5607_compare@1x.jpg

1/10 Summit next to 1/8 Savage
3298822921_e960fc4380_b.jpg

Only thing I dont like about the summit it that its brushed but I guess you could always convert it.

Hi guys I'm looking at getting my first rc but dont want to dive straight in and buy the wrong one. I've been looking at options but theres so many out there. I'm looking to be doing slow crawling / gravel rather than speed and racing. My attention keeps turning to the traxxas summit, is this a good choice being a beginner?
Welcome to RCT! :) :hyperbuggy:
The Summit is a very capable and fun vehicle with a 2-speed transmission and lockable differentials, and its large size makes it very easy to get over obstacles. The Summit isn't the ideal beginner vehicle (2-speed transmission, lockable differentials, and cantilever suspension are more mechanically complicated than the average RC car), but it should by no means throw you off from getting it if that's the truck you like. The worst that could happen is it takes a long time to put the car back together after taking it apart (and if you don't know where the parts go, reference the exploded view of the vehicle: https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/summit?t=support), and it just gets easier the more you do it.

As for other recommendations, the Traxxas TRX-4 (portal axles, 2-speed transmission, lockable/unlockable diffs), Axial SCX10 iii (portal axles, 2-speed transmission, dig), Element RC Enduro (standard axles, transmission with tuneable overdrive), etc. are also great vehicles if you are looking for more realistic-looking RCs.

Don't be afraid to ask questions my man, we prefer it, that way you don't show up and wonder why you can't find parts for a cheap, never heard of rig.
These guys will point you in the right direction.

Right guys I've talked to the boss (aka the wife )...and she said Ā£500 is all she is willing to spend on it as its my Christmas present. So anything in that price range would be great. And then maybe upgrade things as i go along like batterys and chargers etc.

I never dreamed it would be this big but it is a great looking rig.

Might be a silly question but whats the difference between traxxas summit 1/10 and the 1/ 16 other than the price lol
Welcome to RCT mad house bud. As you can see. The summit is a good starter truck. I wouldn't really consider the summit a crawler RC IMO. It's more of a off road truck. It's is based off the revo frame. And shock set up. Which is awesome. They say crawler because of the locking diffs... but that's more a 4X4 offroad thing. It's a bad as* truck. IMHO... I would put a brushless system in it Myself.. no really difference between the 1/16 and 1/10 except size...well the 1/16 summit is basically the MERV with brushed motor and bigger tires.. the 1/10 has the 2 speed tranns and locking diffs
Yes there's a difference in power..
The 1/16 has a 12T 550 motor.
1/10 has The 775 titan. Buy both can be upgraded to brushless

Just a genral FYI the 1/16 Summit can be bought as a brushless system. The 1/10 scale only comes in brushed but as Stoner said it could be upgraded :)