Looking to buy my first rc

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicko

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm looking at getting my first rc but dont want to dive straight in and buy the wrong one. I've been looking at options but theres so many out there. I'm looking to be doing slow crawling / gravel rather than speed and racing. My attention keeps turning to the traxxas summit, is this a good choice being a beginner?

Welcome to the forum.

I don't own a Summit but have always kinda wanted one since I first saw it. It's not a very popular rig here from what I have seen, but I am sure someone here has one and can help you out.

The Axial Ryft is a slightly similar kind of vehicle if you buy the kit version. It has a 2-speed transmission and can do some slower climbing or high speed ripping through the dirt. The RTR (ready to run) version is only a single speed gearbox which is probably not what you are looking for.

Other ones to consider if you are interested in just a good crawler are the Traxxas TRX4's, any of the Associated crawlers, Redcat Gen8's, and Axial SCX10's.

What is your budget? That might help people make suggestions.

Here is a full 4.5 hour build vid of the Ryft. You can find run videos on YT as well. Granted you are a beginner, but I have always said, the best way to learn about RC is to build a kit. And this looks like a really fun build.

Last edited:
The summit is a great choice..id get that.. parts are plentiful...I own 1 its the 775 brushed version with a few hop-ups rpm 1's

Welcome to RCTalk!

The summit and the ryft type kits I'm not sold on. Theyre called rock bouncers and theyre kind of a hybrid between a crawler and a regular go fast which means they do neither all that good but if you're willing to sacrafice both ends to be in the middle then theyre probably good choices. I think my pick of that kind of kit would be the Axial Wraith or the Axial Bomber.

If you want something thats better at crawling then Id look at the Axial SCX10 III. Its a pretty capable crawler and has tons of scale mods you can get for it if you get in to that sort of thing which most of the guys with these kinds of trucks tend to do. :)

The Traxxas TRX4 would also be a good choice for a trail truck/crawler

I don't think the Ryft and the Wraith are all that different are they? I never looked into the Wraith though. I just saw the Ryft was available in a kit which is what initially turned me on to it.

The wraith has a much better reputation online. Thats all I really know. I dont own either kit so I can't say for certain. I just know theyre the same type of kit. I dont think Id ever by that type of kit unless it was just as a goof to make it run on 6S or something stupid lol

I saw the first vid, I didnt see round 2. Ill have to check that out later when I get time. I was more impressed with the bomber than the ryft watching the first vid.

Welcome in @Chicko , I agree, the Summit would be a great choice. I have four or five crawlers myself based on the Axial platform and my Bomber being the rig with the most attitude.
Regardless, your choice should be is like what you mentioned, what terrain you plan on running.
The Summit would be a good one if you want to explore past just crawling. It's definitely a very cool looking rig and Traxxas is an awesome brand.

I saw the first vid, I didnt see round 2. Ill have to check that out later when I get time. I was more impressed with the bomber than the ryft watching the first vid.
You have to consider that is a RTR Ryft also, albeit a highly upgraded one in vid 2. The kit comes with upgrades that the RTR doesn't have, like a 2 speed trans, the sway bar, and I think better shocks, which are Pro-Line if I remember correctly.

I would love to have the whole line of Axial bouncers actually. I think they are all pretty badass. But I am like you and just don't have that terrain to play in. It's just not fair!

You have to consider that is a RTR Ryft also, albeit a highly upgraded one in vid 2. The kit comes with upgrades that the RTR doesn't have, like a 2 speed trans, the sway bar, and I think better shocks, which are Pro-Line if I remember correctly.

I would love to have the whole line of Axial bouncers actually. I think they are all pretty badass. But I am like you and just don't have that terrain to play in. It's just not fair.
That would definitely suck. I feel blessed when any terrain in any direction from my front door.

My bomber is tough to keep on her feet making turns on flat ground but she sure screams up the mountain side.

in my little knowledge that vid is not a very even comparison. I really think op has made his choice.a rock-racer vs a 80% crawler.

Might be a silly question but whats the difference between traxxas summit 1/10 and the 1/ 16 other than the price lol

The 24s are becoming more and more popular and there is some guys in here that have them, I will soon have one or all myself.. :D

Anything under 1/10 scale (1/12, 1/16, 1/18) is considered a "mini" and anything smaller than about 1/18 scale (1/20, 1/24, 1/32) is considered a "micro"

My bomber has a bit of an attitude but I blame the Tekin system on that. It's taking a while to get used to her but there is a couple of things I am going to try so she won't roll as easy on flat terrain. She does climb like a mo fo though.. :D

IMG_1200.JPG

Last edited: