Looking for a video

• Thread starter Cheez ‘n’ Quackers
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheez ‘n’ Quackers

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I’m fairly confident in my skills but would be more comfortable referring to a video on properly connecting a dedicated battery to a Promodeler DS635 servo. I know about disconnecting the red power wire from the servo. I’m just hoping to see how it’s done from start to finish.

Below is a video on how to do it as well as a picture from Castle. If you go off the video let me point out two things I do differently because, personally, I think the way this guy hooks up a BEC is sloppy.

1) Instead of cutting your battery leads in two in order to solder the BEC leads in parallel, I personally solder the BEC leads to the battery connector along with the battery leads so I dont have to cut my battery leads on my ESC in half.

2) Instead of removing the red wire from the ESC connector, I place a short 3 wire extension on to the 3 wire lead come off the ESC so that:
A) I dont have to remove the red wire from my ESC plug and possibly risk damaging it and
B) I can remove the red wire from the short extension completely so I dont have a piece of wire all taped up to the main wire leads. Its just cleaner imo.

cc_bec_wiring_diagram.jpg

Below is a video on how to do it as well as a picture from Castle. If you go off the video let me point out two things I do differently because, personally, I think the way this guy hooks up a BEC is sloppy.

1) Instead of cutting your battery leads in two in order to solder the BEC leads in parallel, I personally solder the BEC leads to the battery connector along with the battery leads so I dont have to cut my battery leads on my ESC in half.

2) Instead of removing the red wire from the ESC connector, I place a short 3 wire extension on to the 3 wire lead come off the ESC so that:
A) I dont have to remove the red wire from my ESC plug and possibly risk damaging it and
B) I can remove the red wire from the short extension completely so I dont have a piece of wire all taped up to the main wire leads. Its just cleaner imo.

View attachment 167671
Thanks for the reply but installing a BEC isn’t what I’m looking for. I’ve actually installed 3 or 4 of them.
I’m planning on powering the Promodeler with this Lilon battery.

image.jpg

Sorry, I dont understand your dilemma. What exactly is it your trying to do?
Servo powered by a dedicated battery. Here’s the only videos I can find, he’s already installed the Promodeler and he’s making his own harnesses. His video is kind of poor. I have the proper harness , I’m looking for a decent video to kind of safely refer to.

The video seems pretty adequate. All you're doing is running the the signal wire of the servo to the receiver, the positive wire of the secondary battery to the servo, and then splitting the ground of the secondary battery to run to the servo and Channel 1 of the RX. Then hook up your primary battery source to the RX to power the RX. I hope that helps.

So here’s where I’m at…not so much the wiring, but where the heck do you put the battery?
Tried this up and down the street, I can see improvement in servo response. Track tomorrow to see if Velcro holds up.
image.jpg

Strap it together on top of the main pack?

Strap it together on top of the main pack?
Yep! I plan on using another Velcro strap. That should keep it secure.👍

I don't see how adding a second battery is going to help with anything. It is just adding more weight. What is the benefit of a second pack to power the servo?

I'm guessing a 2s servo in a 4s truck... Yeah, I hate it too.