Rc boats built by grandfather

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillStrachan

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Few years ago my grandfather passed away and he has all these rc boats he built himself. They all use the same motor for the propeller and steering. I believe they were remote controlled but I'm not sure how I can get them going. The motors battery connection is a large tamiya and he has all these old nicd batteries which I'm aware are very obsolete. There is a separate small motor for the steering with a small black connector with a black red and yellow wire all going to it. The thing I don't understand is if these are remote controlled how would the throttle be controlled of the propeller if it's directly wired to a battery. I am guessing the steering goes to some sort of wireless device maybe. I'll attach some pictures hopefully someone can understand. Any help is appreciated.

20230806_141242.jpg

20230806_141232.jpg

20230806_141201.jpg

Those are awesome! Love to see more pictures.
I do not see how only one prop can steer the boat.
If it were me, I would test the motors and and servos and replace all the electronics and or all equipment that is bad.
Are you sure there is no rudder on them? Where is that cable going?

You dont wire motor to battery directly. You need a radio receiver a esc for motor control to do these things. you can check specs on motor to see what's the best amperage for esc. message me Ill answer any questions/

This should explain the whole RC process and equipment. Car / Boat, the fundamentals are the same.

Those are awesome! Love to see more pictures.
I do not see how only one prop can steer the boat.
If it were me, I would test the motors and and servos and replace all the electronics and or all equipment that is bad.
Are you sure there is no rudder on them? Where is that cable going?
Cable goes to rudder

20230806_150858.jpg

20230806_150849.jpg

You dont wire motor to battery directly. You need a radio receiver a esc for motor control to do these things. you can check specs on motor to see what's the best amperage for esc. message me Ill answer any questions/
Ahh ok that makes sense. My relatives said that the controllers that used to belong to these boats got corroded from the batteries so they threw them out. So a new controller is 100% needed. Id really hope newer stuff these days would be compatible with what my grandfather has rigged up in these boats because they are all glued together and there's no taking anything out really. I'm very experienced in soldering wire and connectors so if new connections are needed it would be no problem for me to do. Correct me if I'm wrong but new rc connectors are xt60s?

Cable goes to rudder

View attachment 169716

View attachment 169717

Ahh ok that makes sense. My relatives said that the controllers that used to belong to these boats got corroded from the batteries so they threw them out. So a new controller is 100% needed. Id really hope newer stuff these days would be compatible with what my grandfather has rigged up in these boats because they are all glued together and there's no taking anything out really. I'm very experienced in soldering wire and connectors so if new connections are needed it would be no problem for me to do. Correct me if I'm wrong but new rc connectors are xt60s?
That's a bad as* boat bud. Props to your grandfather for building it. You can get anything to work as long as you have the time and money to make it work. As far as connectors go there is a bunch of connectors out there used in this hobby. I personally like the XT's line of plugs. They make them from 30-150s. Got and questions don't hesitate to ask bud. Would love to see you get that running and in the water. Happy boating👍👍

That's a bad as* boat bud. Props to your grandfather for building it. You can get anything to work as long as you have the time and money to make it work. As far as connectors go there is a bunch of connectors out there used in this hobby. I personally like the XT's line of plugs. They make them from 30-150s. Got and questions don't hesitate to ask bud. Would love to see you get that running and in the water. Happy boating👍👍
I don't know much about this stuff I'm just getting into it. But from what it seems I need a radio receiver and an esc for motor control?

I don't know much about this stuff I'm just getting into it. But from what it seems I need a radio receiver and an esc for motor control?
You are correct sir. You can pick up new radio and reciver flysky 3.for about 40-50 bucks off Amazon. Can also pick up a brushed esc for cheap under 100. Will also need and servo for stearing. And figure a way to mount all of it in the hull. And get it all working.

To be 100% honest with you. It's going to cost some money to get that working properly and water ready. I would leave it as is. And keep it as a shelf queen. And memorial to your grandfather.

And pick up a newer RC boat or car/truck or whatever you would like. If you really would like to get into the hobby. Not trying to be a as*hole. But that's a sweet wooden handmade boat. I wouldn't want to destroy it by trying to get it working.

Plus all the glue that holds it together is probably dry rotted by now. And might leak and cause more damage once in water.
Definitely wouldn't want to see it ruined in you. It's to special to you to see that happen bud.

Your grandfather made that ship to be sailed!

Nothing would make him more proud than see you make this vessel sea worthy again :)

Be sure to apply some grease on the propeller shaft at the beginning of every day of use!

Any brushed ESC will work, something like this here would do fine:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/col...d-system/products/quicrun-10-esc-2-3s-brushed

Any 2 channel radio will work as well, doesn't have to be fancy:
https://www.amazon.com/Trjgtas-Version-Transmitter-Remote-Controller/dp/B0BSMK2G69

I personally would go with a lithium battery to get longer run times and faster charge cycles:
https://www.amazon.com/Zeee-5200mAh-Battery-Vehicles-Airplane/dp/B08DCYVHSF/

Whatever battery you decide to get will dictate which battery connector you need to solder on the ESC and charger

More info here on chargers which is a whole topic in itself, to save money B6AC will suit your needs:
Be sure you have LVC enabled on the ESC to protect your batteries!

Good luck and have fun!

With proper care and maintenance that ship can be passed down through several generations ;)

You are correct sir. You can pick up new radio and reciver flysky 3.for about 40-50 bucks off Amazon. Can also pick up a brushed esc for cheap under 100. Will also need and servo for stearing. And figure a way to mount all of it in the hull. And get it all working.

To be 100% honest with you. It's going to cost some money to get that working properly and water ready. I would leave it as is. And keep it as a shelf queen. And memorial to your grandfather.

And pick up a newer RC boat or car/truck or whatever you would like. If you really would like to get into the hobby. Not trying to be a as*hole. But that's a sweet wooden handmade boat. I wouldn't want to destroy it by trying to get it working.

Plus all the glue that holds it together is probably dry rotted by now. And might leak and cause more damage once in water.
Definitely wouldn't want to see it ruined in you. It's to special to you to see that happen bud.
She floats good I just tried it out in the bathtub. This this thing used to work great in the river closest to us. I definitely want to get it going again. It has a steering unit (servo i assume) already in it. I think all I need is an esc and a way to rig up a controller. Looking at videos on how an esc goes in looks fairly simple but I'm not sure how controllers get hooked up

She floats good I just tried it out in the bathtub. This this thing used to work great in the river closest to us. I definitely want to get it going again. It has a steering unit (servo i assume) already in it. I think all I need is an esc and a way to rig up a controller. Looking at videos on how an esc goes in looks fairly simple but I'm not sure how controllers get hooked up
Controllers are connected to the rc by a reciver. And the reciver will have you esc, and servo plugged into it. And recive the signal from your controller. To allow it to move and turn.

Controllers are connected to the rc by a reciver. And the reciver will have you esc, and servo plugged into it. And recive the signal from your controller. To allow it to move and turn.
Do controllers come with transmitter or is it bought separately

This will give you a better idea of what I'm saying bud.

Do controllers come with transmitter or is it bought separately
You can get them together. Just have to look for the package. Radio amd reciver together..
The controller is your transmitter. And the reciver is what will take your radio signal. And then send it to the servo to steer and to the esc to work the motor.

Here is the Transmitter (Controller) I use for all of my cars and my first boat. You can use multiple receivers with this controller. Up to 30 if I remember correctly.
It comes with a ground vehicle receiver. You will probably want a water resistant receiver to go with this controller like the FS-A3 for the boat.
I would still put the receiver in a waterproof receiver box like this in the boat even though they claim it is waterproof.
This is the controller I use for all my cars and boat. I just buy a new receiver and replace the stock one with the FlySky and I only have to carry one controller.
If you decide to get into this and have more cars or boats, you will not have to buy any more controllers.
If you want just one controller for this boat only, you can find a slightly cheaper controller and receiver. But only slightly cheaper.

Here is the Transmitter (Controller) I use for all of my cars and my first boat. You can use multiple receivers with this controller. Up to 30 if I remember correctly.
It comes with a ground vehicle receiver. You will probably want a water resistant receiver to go with this controller like the FS-A3 for the boat.
I would still put the receiver in a waterproof receiver box like this in the boat even though they claim it is waterproof.
This is the controller I use for all my cars and boat. I just buy a new receiver and replace the stock one with the FlySky and I only have to carry one controller.
If you decide to get into this and have more cars or boats, you will not have to buy any more controllers.
If you want just one controller for this boat only, you can find a slightly cheaper controller and receiver. But only slightly cheaper.
So on the wire coming off the receiver, what does that go to? Or is it an antenna?