From ZERO to HERO

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy rider

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
Ok, I posted a thread last Sunday entitled from hero to zero. It described my frustrating day with break downs and stupidity on my part. It was an expensive day. Not so much based on what I broke. But, what I bought!!!!!!!

Yesterday, I received a package from Jenny’s RC that had a 17mm hub kit for my OS tmaxx. I’m putting some sledge tires on that beast and seeing how the gear up improves its quickness. Might not on the other hand. But, I’m going to find out!!!!!

But wait…!!!! The package also contained a 400 Traxxas servo. I’m not satisfied with the servo the built back better revo has in it. So, I bought a servo that should do just fine. I know there’s probably better. But, I’ve had a lot of luck with Traxxas gear. I hope it continues. Will it? I don’t know but, I’m gonna find out!!!!!

I'll update in three gallons to let you know. Good or bad.

But wait, that beautiful box contained a complete set of revo tires!!!! Will I end up running those over my sledge’s tires? I don’t know but I’m going to find out!!!!!

But wait, it gets even better. Inside that same big ole box was a complete Traxxas 3.3!!!!!! Will I put it on my 2.5 tmaxx instead of my flippin’ beast mode dynamite Mach 2?!!!!!!! I don’t know but I’m going to find out!!!!!!

But wait, it gets freaking awesome now!!!!!! Because an envelope from Amain hobbies was in the box today!!!!!!!!! It contained my new pull start I’m putting on my build back better revo!!!!!!! Will I stay with it or go back to the starter kit? I know and so do you!!!!!! Pull start baby!!!!!!

I’m not bragging. Only sharing that I am indeed a blessed man. I’ve been given some of my hearts desires. Thank you Lord.

Get busy living fellas. Enjoy it while you can. And that means running some nitro monster trucks!! Yeah baby!

8F54A144-4A1A-4F45-891C-AEC86247A975.gif

Shoot. I forgot!!! The big ole beautiful box of love from Jenny’s, had a complete slipper clutch and spur gear kit in it too!!!!!

Putting that servo in a nitro........ make sure the batteries can back it.

Have fun wrenching. Looking forward to pics. I got a 2.5 tmaxx needing some love.
Thanks man. It’s supposed to run on 6 volts. Will the hump pack from Traxxas run it?

Thanks man. It’s supposed to run on 6 volts. Will the hump pack from Traxxas run it?
Gonna be honest. I'm not sure. I went to the traxxas site for an answer. I went yo tnaxx 3.3 and to accessories. It had it listed.

If you go to the servo it lists no nitro models. It does suggest a Traxxas bec. The servo is listed at 6.0-7.4 volts.

https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/servos/2255

Gonna be honest. I'm not sure. I went to the traxxas site for an answer. I went yo tnaxx 3.3 and to accessories. It had it listed.

If you go to the servo it lists no nitro models. It does suggest a Traxxas bec. The servo is listed at 6.0-7.4 volts.

Heck yeah!! I remember reading about that now. Thanks for pointing that out!!!!

I’ve been running a 2 channel on all my nitros. So, I’ll have to buy a 3 channel receiver.

Amains, here I come.

My wrenching isn’t going to be completed on the revo. But, I’m still going to run it this weekend!!! Won’t take long to get the servo swap done when the rx and bec arrives next week.

Heck yeah!! I remember reading about that now. Thanks for pointing that out!!!!

If you look at the description under "application guide" it tells you that a BEC is needed if installing in the TRX4 models. It's because the stock (XL5hv) ESC is only rated at 3amps.

I’ve been running a 2 channel on all my nitros. So, I’ll have to buy a 3 channel receiver.

Amains, here I come.

My wrenching isn’t going to be completed on the revo. But, I’m still going to run it this weekend!!! Won’t take long to get the servo swap done when the rx and bec arrives next week.
Why do you think you need to get a 3 channel receiver? Adding a 3rd channel isn't needed if you want to use a BEC. Also if when using a BEC it won't give you more voltage. It only regulates a higher voltage to a lower voltage. (If your receiver battery is 6v your not going to get more voltage than the 6v).
According to Traxxas in the servo description it says if you are using the rechargeable 5cell NiMh packs you'll be fine.

400ozScreenshot.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I assumed you plugged that bec into your receiver. If I don’t have to that’s great. Since you reaffirmed I didn’t need one, that’s even better.

I didn’t do a good job of explaining it before. Yes, I read the servo works on 6-7.4 volts. And, I had read you didn’t need the BEC for a revo installation with the hump pack.

I didn’t order anything else after re reading and researching to ensure I had got it right.

Thanks for the heads up once again. I feel like I’m a teenager and you guys are my parents. I get ideas and run them by everyone. And, you guys get me through it. lol

Last edited:
There is two different ways of using a BEC.
If plugging into a receiver that's used on a nitro it would just be installed between the battery and receiver. (The battery plugs into BEC then BEC plugs into where the battery did). If using on an electric RC then you usually would need another spot on the receiver and wired differently.
You can also wire the BEC directly to power a servo bypassing the receiver. This way the receiver and servo could be at different voltages.

BTW: Why is it that anytime someone types "BEC" in a comment it ends up turning into a link to Amazon? I know I didn't link any of mine.

Thanks for the wisdom. Yes, they turned to a link in previous posts of mine as well.

Good news is the build back revo will be running completed this weekend. The os tmaxx is gonna get some tinkering.

The build back better revo is wrenched up and ready. New servo. New pull start. I even fired it up. About 12 prime pulls and it hit the first pull with the igniter on the plug. Three more prime pulls and it fired the first crank after that.

I love this engine carb combo. It runs so good. Purrs like a kitten.

Gonna go to my mommas in the morning and spend sometime with her. Come home and wrench that os tmaxx up and get ready to run some nitros Sunday. It’s supposed to be mid 50’s and sunny. Perfect nitro day.

IMG_4141.jpeg

The OS tmaxx is wrenched up and ready!!!!! Those sledge tires look good too!!!! I truly believe they are lighter than the stock tmaxx tires.

Anyways, nitro Sunday here we come!!

IMG_4143.jpeg