Looking for a Quadcopter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodie.....that doesn't look to hard. It's alot of soldering which I'm not the best....but it doesn't look at all like it is advanced soldering or anything.

I'll admit I haven't built one myself but have seen several built at my LHS. Getting the frame together doesn't take long at all. It's all the tidying up and making things nice and clean.

I'll admit I haven't built one myself but have seen several built at my LHS. Getting the frame together doesn't take long at all. It's all the tidying up and making things nice and clean.
The first video with the time lapse made it seem super fast... but even at real time in the second video it was assembled in about an hour... which for me seems super fast! LOL I'm used to a kit taking me a solid 8 to 10 hours to complete. The other thing that gets me is that the kit is considered and ARF.... I always thought that meant just rubber banding the wings on, popping in a battery and your off! I am such a young Jedi! :)

I do have another question though.... what is the Optional Bluetooth LED Module that they mention in the description?

The GPS / Controller, is what makes or breaks a quad.

For some it might be, I simply never flew in GPS mode or used the RTH feature beyond the initial testing of it. I mainly sport fly my quads and just never found myself hanging in the air perfectly still. But again, I do see the use case for it depending on your own needs.

My latest FPV quad does however have GPS, but it is separate from the flight controller and simply puts an overlay HUD in my goggles with an arrow and distance to home, it does none of the flying for you.

Ok... another question.... I gotta quit saying one more question... because the more I read the more questions I have. Ok... so along with what is the Bluetooth LED module question....
How many channels do I need if I decide to run the F450 with the Gimble?
Thanks

Tom

I have no idea what the bluetooth LED module is unless it give you the ability to tune the FC (flight controller) wirelessly over BT.

If you can fly a quad, and manipulate a gimbal at the same time, then you're a helluva lot better pilot than I am. :D

I am sure I am no where near the pilot that you are! LOL The reason I asked is that Hamz mentioned something about controlling the gimble and so I did a little research and found out that the gimble had a bl motor on it. I assumed you needed a channel in order to accommodate. I guess the better question would be, is the Spektrum DX6i a good radio and will it fit my needs for this quad?

If I had it to do over for all my Spektrum stuff, I would have bought 7 or more channels. Always buy more radio than you think you need when it comes to aircraft. Even if you don't use the extra channels now, you likely will with later aircraft.

Most gimbals have a separate controller (much like the FC) for the motors that keeps the gimbal level. Some have the ability to add servos and give you remote control of pan and tilt.

So if I am understanding you correctly... the motors are used to keep the camera stable and level at all times not for Pan or Tilt functionality controlled from the transmitter? Thanks again HPI!

Tom, I honestly can't say with complete certainty as I haven't researched Gimbals that much. But, I know the hexacopter that the company owns has it's own separate controller for the brushless motors that simply keeps the camera stable and level, no pan or tilt as it is configured currently. You may possibly be able to do it with just the motors that it already has, I have no idea. I was about to do a gimbal setup early this year until all the FAA vs AMA craziness started and I simply did other things with my money instead. I might still do one before next spring as the video quality from them is amazing. And you're more than welcome for what limited info I can provide.

The info provided has been great so far. I know more than I did yesterday! I will keep you posted on what I end up with.

AMain has a Spektrum DX6i with two receivers for $159.99 with free shipping and $10 off. Is this a decent radio? It sure does fit my price range. I just don't want to waste money so I figured I ask first. Thanks

Don't mean to hijack but this also might help you as well. With these multirotors that have the 2 cameras, which one is used for fpv, and which is used for aerial photos/videos? From my understanding the small camera is for fpv, and the GoPro is for video and photos. Is that correct?

I've seen some of these fpv set ups with "headtracking" where the camera mimics your head movements like pan tilt. Thats seems neat, I think it would be even cooler if that was the camera that was recording.

The DX-6i isn't a bad radio at all. It is only 6 channels which means that it can't control all of the camera functions. I have one and use it to fly my mQX and NanoQX.

I understand that getting a radio with more channels is best...for me it is just simple economics really... 7 or more channels just isn't in the budget for me. The thing is I just don't want to throw good money after bad which is why I ask so many questions before I buy. Now I may be able to swing the DX6...... I know it is still only 6 channels....but is there any better advantage to spending the extra $50?

The DX7 has the capability to charge and use LiPos instead of just NiMh batteries. It also has a couple of 3-way switches instead of just 2-way and it's a bit easier to program, IMO.

Spend the $50 and get more radio. Even if you never run a gimbal at all (meaning you have zero control over the camera from the remote) you'll want more channels later when you buy more aircraft, trust me. You also get more features in the radio itself as well.

I also think that the DX7s just has a better feel to it than DX6i. I own both and prefer the DX7s.

I also think that the DX7s just has a better feel to it than DX6i. I own both and prefer the DX7s.

Hey Hamz and HPI... You guys mean the DX6 over the 6i correct? The DX6 is 50 more than the 6i. The 7 at $300 is a bit beyond my price range.