Looking for a nitro for my wife

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitroman26

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I want to get a nitro off road for my wife not sure exactly what I should get. I want something not to fast but not a slug, durrable, easy to handle, 4wd, non MT non 1/8th scale. Tuning not an issue Thats my department. Any suggestions would be helpful. BOOYA:fro:

Well Non MT and non 1/8 lets out the durable part. Whats left? A ST and a 1/10 buggy? Neither will be as colse to as durable as a MT or 1/8.OHHH and 4wd? A HPI nitro mt? Then there are the odd 4wd 1/10 buggies. How about a Ofna lx pro? Durable, parts all over, cheap,and its an 1/8th scale? Or the MBX w/ ele. start?

mt218ss_chassis_lfront.jpg
Its what i would get, durable, non1/8, nonMT, great all around rc to me.

fisherman said:
mt218ss_chassis_lfront.jpg
Its what i would get, durable, non1/8, nonMT, great all around rc to me.

I agree...The old HPI nitro mt was my first nitro...easy to drive easy to work on, great first nitro :2cents:

It's about the only 4wd non-MT 1/10 out there these days that isn't vintage. Other than the new 1/10 buggies from Thunder Tiger with the cool impact resistant front end.

Why not MT and why 1/10? Just curious?

The TNX is supposed to be a hell of a basher/racer, but it's a MT.

RC10GT, best stadium truck imo.

Durabale, simple, fast out of the box, cheap parts, easy to find parts, TONS of upgrades.

RC10GT, best stadium truck imo.

Durabale, simple, fast out of the box, cheap parts, easy to find parts, TONS of upgrades.

Yea, ... I havent got to fully drive mine yet, but I have a friend that has one and it is durable, fast, and very easy to find parts for. The only thing is that it is not 4wd.

If you go 1/10 the MT2 .18SS hands down.

1/8 my vote would be for an X-Terminator.

You can get the rtr MT2 that is ready to go right out of the box. :2cents:

Last edited:
Yes, but the .18SS is much more durable. The entire drivetrain is beefed up and it has a better engine. I saw a vid of one...the .18SS truck hauls ass, almost looked as fast as an onroad.

You are right, I am saving up for a .18SS as we speak, I just thought that the rtr would be easy for her.

Yea it would be easier, but she'll just make nitroman do all the tuning/wrenching anyway lol.

4 wheel drive?

There have been many suggestions for the HPI nitro MT2.
Thats a very good choice.
They run well, hold a tune well, and have 4 wheel drive.
If you break, parts are cheap, and can be found at mostly all the hobby shops.

honestly, you already ruled out the best vehicle for your wife. the traxxas revo. what you want is simple to operate, easy to control, durable, reasonable speed.

it doesn't get any easier to start than a traxxas car, the revo handles great and goes just about anywhere, its durable, and plenty fast. who cares how hard it is to fix, because until you teach her, you will be doing all the repairs and tuning. take her to a shop and see if they will let her drive one. if the shop wont a customer there usually will.

CorradoPsi said:
honestly, you already ruled out the best vehicle for your wife. the traxxas revo. what you want is simple to operate, easy to control, durable, reasonable speed.

it doesn't get any easier to start than a traxxas car, the revo handles great and goes just about anywhere, its durable, and plenty fast. who cares how hard it is to fix, because until you teach her, you will be doing all the repairs and tuning. take her to a shop and see if they will let her drive one. if the shop wont a customer there usually will.

The HPI MT has roto start, handles better than the revo, is very durable, and although I never saw them race each other I would bet the mt is as fast or faster than the revo. Almost forgot.....every HPI I have owned has held a tune much better than any traxxas I have owned, and the HPI is much easier to wrench on.

nitroman26 said:
I want to get a nitro off road for my wife not sure exactly what I should get. I want something not to fast but not a slug, durrable, easy to handle, 4wd, non MT non 1/8th scale. Tuning not an issue Thats my department. Any suggestions would be helpful. BOOYA:fro:

Nitroman26,
Your title to this thread got me thinking:
"Looking for a nitro for my wife"

I am still looking for a wife with a nitro. She needs to be kinda fast but not a slug, durable and likes to be handled. Likes to be tuned and uses silverware.
You have me thinking I have been going about this all wrong.

Spokane HobbyTownUSA said:
Nitroman26,
Your title to this thread got me thinking:
"Looking for a nitro for my wife"

I am still looking for a wife with a nitro. She needs to be kinda fast but not a slug, durable and likes to be handled. Likes to be tuned and uses silverware.
You have me thinking I have been going about this all wrong.

LOL Now thats funny.....I don't care who you are

SMaxxin said:
The HPI MT has roto start, handles better than the revo, is very durable, and although I never saw them race each other I would bet the mt is as fast or faster than the revo. Almost forgot.....every HPI I have owned has held a tune much better than any traxxas I have owned, and the HPI is much easier to wrench on.

the funny thing is, your preaching to someone who has a tricked out nitro MT, and has had plenty of HPI's. a stadium truck will always handle better than a MT, but i think the revo will be a better choice for a total newb/wife. just stick the ezstart in it and push a button. it fires up. I'm a firm beliver that every one of the traxxas 2.5 motors should come with an extra thin copper shim in them. they almost always run hot, and are hard to tune, both symptoms of a compression ratio thats too high. add that shim, and temps come down, and tuning is nice and easy. but thats a discussion for another thread.

I have to say the MT2 may be really nice and beat the revo and whatnot and what all u guys are saying but i think corradopsi is right i think the revo is for her like he said push a button with the EZ start i mean I'm assuming that his wife isnt gonna be wanting to wrench on the thing shes just gonna want to drive it and all shoot if the engine sucks wait tell it dies and put in a better one, most people do that from that start some times any way. I really dont like traxxas at all had a maxx and hated the thing but i didnt do the shim thing he just stated in the thread above. I'm about to buy a MT2 18ss now too.

Back