lookin 4 a radio........(never have before)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Airtronix mx-3. It's a good FM radio with enough features to keep me happy. The only downside is that the receivers that airtronics makes for it are $80 a piece. I bought the radio with no servo's for $99. I ended up just buying two complete systems @ $99 a piece (actually, the LHS dropped it to $90 since I was buying 2).

Just be aware of how much the xmitter, crystals and extra receivers will cost you down the line. If you get a synthesized radio, it means no crystals, but a little more costly up front and typically the reiceivers a more than their crystal using counterparts. In the long run, buying a cheap or expensive radio can get expensive when you have 3 or 4 vehicles to use it with.

I've read that the receiver for the JR xr3 synth is kind of crappy and quite a few people have had problems with it dieing on them.

I was doing the same shopping you are no more than a month ago. If I remember correctly, the crystal sets for the futaba radio were more expensive than almost every other brand out there. Just some FYI.

the futaba 3pm needs crystals ???

I guess it also depends on which band you get, the 27Mhz or 75Mhz. For the 27, the crystals are $11, for the 75, they are $25.

This is the info at tower for the radio, notice that it uses crystals:
This is the Futaba 3PM FM 3-Channel Surface Computerized Pistol
Grip Radio with no Servos.

FEATURES: 10-Model Memory Switchable in to the HRS mode (High Response System). Alphanumeric LCD Screen with high intensity blue LED monitor, can be changed to three different brightness levels. Condition 2 selection allows two rates to be set up and switched with SW1 switch simultaneously during a run Alarm buzzer Model copy and clear functions ABS Braking Brake mixing for large cars One-channel program mixing Steering and throttle Expo Servo reversing on all channels End Point Adjustment (EPA) for all channels Multi-function timer up/down with lap memory Steering Dual Rates Throttle ATL Digital Trims Function select dial/switch Steering speed Charge jack for optional NiCd's One year limited warranty

INCLUDES: One 3PM FM Transmitter One R133F FM receiver, FUTL0305 (27MHz), FUTL0309 (75MHz) One short crystal set, FUTL95** (27MHz), FUTL97** (75MHz) One receiver battery box w/"J"connecter (No Number) One TX battery cover door One switch harness (FUTM4350) One frequency flag set (No number) One instruction manual (No number) * Optional Transmitter NiCd NT8F700B: (FUTM1462) * Optional Receiver NiCd: (FUTM1295) * Optional NiCd Charger: (FUTM1830) * Optional HRS receiver 27mhz FUTL0344 75mhz FUTL0340

REQUIRES: Servos of modeler's choice

SPECS: Transmitter; Power Requirement: 8 AA cells or NT8F700B NiCd battery Current Drain: 250mA or less R133F Receiver; Intermediate Frequency: 455kHz Power Requirement: 4.8V or 6V (shared with servos) Current Drain: 18mA Weight: 0.72oz (14.6g)

Back