Liquid masking question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I'm loading up a body right now with a few coats of parma liquid mask that I'm about to start painting. My question is once I get the parma all on there and ready to go do you cut all of your lines before you start painting? Seems like if you only cut out where your first color is gonna go (in my case black) then I wont be able to see through parts of the body where I have the lines drawn on the outside because it will be covered up by black paint.

On the other hand if I cut all the lines ahead of time then it seems like paint is likely to bleed through the cut marks. So how is this done when you have a some what complex design where you have 2 or 3 colors all going in the same small area?

Last edited:
Nevermind, finally unearthed the answer on another forum. If anyone else wants to know you apparently cut all your lines first.....or at least thats what i just read :)

I only cut the lines as I go usually, depending on the design of course. The paint can go through the rest of the cuts if you do the entire thing first and get alot of over spray.

Absolutely, positively cut ALL lines before painting anything. Believe me. Been there, done that. You don't want to paint over your uncut lines. It will become a nightmare later. If you cut your mask properly you will not get any bleed through in the already cut lines. Use a brand new razor blade and very little pressure (it doesn't take much). Did I say use a brand new razor blade? If I didn't, use a brand new razor blade. If you have A LOT of cutting to do, don't hesitate to go through two blades to finish one body. As soon as you feel the blade drag a bit, it's time to change it out. Another reason to take it easy is that excessive knife pressure will cause weak lines or break points in the body that will crack under stress (wrecks).

What do you know? :D just kidding.

Just in case no one mentioned it use a new blade:D But really, that is the key to cutting lm. On the spongebob body I painted I probably used 10 blades, the first sign of pulling the blade was replaced and put in the used blade box for use elsewhere since the rest of the blade with the exception of the tip is still brand new. Also as Josh mentioned, dont press down too hard or you will cut in to the body.

Thanks for the responses. I've made several mistakes already but I think its still gonna end up coming out decent. Its only the second body I've done and the first one was very simple paint scheme. This one was more complex and its the first time I've used liquid paint mask. Once its done Ill post some pics unless it looks like crap then I might strip it down and try again lol.

Last edited:
Well it didnt turn out anywhere near what I had hoped. In fact I'm not happy with it at all. Made alot of mistakes. Learned alot. I think my parma mask layering was to thin for one thing. Alot of my lines arent straight enough. I rushed it to much too. I was so anxious to get it done I did thicker layers instead of several lighter layers of paint. I also dont have an airbrush yet so my fade isnt nearly what I was hoping for either. Guess I have one more basher body for my Rusty heh.

Straight lines are not easy. It takes time to get the feel. I opt for a #16 blade rather than the standard #11. Just my personal preference.